Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Toaday's Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Well in keeping with the OP's original idea I'll share some shots from a ride I took in May or so this year: Blue Marsh Lake Ride

That's the only shots I have right now as my computer failed on me in August taking most of my pics among other things with it.

The bike:

Its a 2007 Cannondale Caffeine F3 frame sized L

This one is unique in that it has no F designation on the top tube. I got from a guy off of Ebay. He got it as a warranty replacement and sold it on ebay instead of building it up. He advertised it as an F4 (different frameset) and so I got a killer deal on it. ($150)

Its a work in progress as you can see in the pics.

Specs:
    Marzocchi Mz-3 fork 120mm...will be replaced ASAP with a good 100mm air fork
    Sun Ditch Witch rims
    WTB Exiwolf tires 2.1-ish
    2008 XT pod shifters
    08 Shadow XT rear der.
    vanilla xt front
    Race Face Evolve XC X-type crank
    generic man eating bmx pedals. (scarred for life from these things!)
    Avid BB7 discs 160mm. Avid SD-7 levers.
    Thomson X4 stem 31.8
    Race Face Deus XC 31.8 bar w/ WTB lock on grips
    FSA seat post w/ generic painful seat. (hence the gel pad)

So there it is. All on a budget. The fork was free for example.

Can't wait for spring! More pics! Hopefully by then I'll have some more upgrades like a good fork.

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Energetik,

Thanks for adding your pics...

Blue Marsh looks like a nice ride and this shot might make me head for Reading:

Steve

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I don't see any puddles for you to splash around in.

Sorry, just felt like adding a little sarcasm........
    2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

Quote Originally Posted by jdinsj
    I don't see any puddles for you to splash around in.

Sorry, just felt like adding a little sarcasm........

No problem, I'll just wait 'til it rains before I go.

Sarcasm and humor are always welcome.

BTW, the place I rode today was wet too:

Steve
    Last edited by eastcoaststeve; 12-15-2008 at 03:25 PM.

A couple of snow pics for Judd97...

Didn't expect to get them so soon, but I'm still waiting for a deep blanket to mess around in.

No, I'm not leaning against the skinny tree, and yes, I did fall off about two cranks after the pic was taken.

Thought this one came out well.

Anyone else out in the cold today?

Steve

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    Rode Mt. Gretna in the skim of snow last Sunday. Made trail 15 as much of a mental game as a physical one. They did a great job on that trail. Not many technical trails like that created these days.

Had a great ride!
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

One from yesterday:

Anyone else out playing in the snow?

Steve

mtbr member
    I rode this past Sunday, but it was over in the armpit of America. I wanna see about riding here in PA this weekend if the trails aren't like soup.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I think everything is soup right now. Maybe the southern part of the armpit is the only place you can ride without getting muddy

Much warmer today....

Steve

jk
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoaststeve
    Much warmer today....

Steve

Good work, where is that? Its time for me to get out and get dirty!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah I was going to ride too, but I am replacing the crankset on my ride, and the bolt is completely seized. I've tried to drill it, I broke a large easy out, and right now the bolt has a load of PB Blaster catalyst setting in it. Hopefully that'll help. I also need a new front brake adapter as the set I got didn't come with one. After all that my ride will be ready for the mud that the next couple of months will unleash!

jk
    mtbr member

What type of adapter do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by Energetik
    Yeah I was going to ride too, but I am replacing the crankset on my ride, and the bolt is completely seized. I've tried to drill it, I broke a large easy out, and right now the bolt has a load of PB Blaster catalyst setting in it. Hopefully that'll help. I also need a new front brake adapter as the set I got didn't come with one. After all that my ride will be ready for the mud that the next couple of months will unleash!

I have a 185mm post mount adapter in front of me if you can use it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I need a 160mm adapter. I'm fairly certain I have one laying around here somewhere, but thanks for the offer. I'm more concerned with getting that bolt out. I think its time to break down and take it to a shop. There are some good ones around here.

Quote Originally Posted by jk
    Good work, where is that? Its time for me to get out and get dirty!

Nothing fancy, just riding the banks of the Wissahickon in Flourtown.

It's absolutely time to go out and get muddy before it gets cold again. I'd post a few more mud shots, but I don't want to rankle the "trail police",

Steve

A few more from the other day. Yes the "trail" was soft, yes I left a bunch of tracks, yes I'm sure a few will object, but yes I had a lot of fun and was out riding while most guys were watching tv.

Steve

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Where do you ride man? That looks like a nice place.

Life is Good
    Thanks for the snow pics! Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of my own... yet. No excuses, either. Just not getting out enough .
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Yes riders like you and tracks like these in conditions like that is the reason that all of us, including you, will get to enjoy a whole lot more tv when the land manager closes the trail to the bikers permanently...

thank you for sharing...
    I Crash Therefor I Am!!![SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by dzm3
    Yes riders like you and tracks like these in conditions like that is the reason that all of us, including you, will get to enjoy a whole lot more tv when the land manager closes the trail to the bikers permanently...

thank you for sharing...

Quote Originally Posted by dzm3
    Not to be a party pooper, but the "trail with the rock" is a rogue trail, it's a fall line trail, meaning that it's causing extensive erosion and is is really bad for the park and for the nature. Please, do not take that trail.
    Ditto goes to the "berm" riding. As much fun as they are, by riding berms you're erodin sides of the trail and causing undue demage to the park.
    We (PMBA) and other organization are working very had at improving mountain bikers' image in eyes of other park users and officials, and working hard on maintaining the trails, to make them sustainable. Sustainable trail means a trail that will last for many many years and will not damage the park.
    The fall line and rogue trails erode quickly. Eroded trails have to be closed. Before you know, most trail will be closed if we do not make a conscious effort to protect them.

Sorry for the rant and thank you for listening and cooperating.

Please, take a look at FOW STI and PMBA

Why is it that the Wissahickon s/s 29'er riders that have been riding less than 10 years are the biggest PC trail police?

If my only choice was to ride the same manicured, marked, "maintained", over-used trails with no berm or rock riding, in only "perfect" conditions, I'd cut my bikes up and sell them for scrap.

Maybe you'd be happier riding a trainer in the basement with a "virtual" image of endlessly boring bike paths, but I like to get dirty, feel the mud on my legs, and smell the sharp scent of a wet trail every chance I get. You won't change me, but you will entertain me...

Steve

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Mountain biking is about having fun but its also about realizing when is appropriate to ride without damaging the trails that hundreds of other riders have come to know and love. Imagine if everyone had the same selfish attitude of going out and riding on the soupy muddy trails like you showed in that picture. The trails would become completely destroyed and soon enough mountain bikes would be banned, eliminating the fun for those responsible enough to wait til it freezes or dries. I am sure none of this will pass through your thick-headed skull but the efforts of PMBA in the Wissahickon are great, people like you will ruin everything they have worked so hard to attain.

mtbr member
    Glad I don't ride that trial... I am not even sure how that can be fun... To each his own.

Not sure if you do trail maintenance, it would be a good idea if you contribute to trail maintenance unless you already do.

Quote Originally Posted by tbooz
    Mountain biking is about having fun but its also about realizing when is appropriate to ride without damaging the trails that hundreds of other riders have come to know and love. Imagine if everyone had the same selfish attitude of going out and riding on the soupy muddy trails like you showed in that picture. The trails would become completely destroyed and soon enough mountain bikes would be banned, eliminating the fun for those responsible enough to wait til it freezes or dries. I am sure none of this will pass through your thick-headed skull but the efforts of PMBA in the Wissahickon are great, people like you will ruin everything they have worked so hard to attain.

From
    (City, State or Country):
    Philadelphia, PA
    Year started riding:
    Favorite type of riding
    (can choose more than:
    Cross Country
    Favorite Trail:
    Belmont/Wissahickon
    Bike Setup:
    Niner EMD9, Rock Shox REBA SL, Full XT, Hayes 9, Ghetto tubeless conversion

Like I said in my previous post, 29'er+Wissahickon+2005=

I don't think you have to worry about "hundreds" of riders riding in my footsteps, as most of the guys you refer to probably wouldn't want to soil their lacey white panties.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, as I don't plan on changing my riding to suit your concept of trail respect and I don't feel the need to justify myself further, or outline all I've done in the last 35 years to protect the environment. I respect your right to have an opinion and I wish you'd do the same.

Best wishes and happy trails,

Sincerely,
    Steve
    Last edited by eastcoaststeve; 02-19-2009 at 08:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

I don't think you have to worry about "hundreds" of riders riding in my footsteps, as most of the guys you refer to probably wouldn't want to soil their lacey white panties.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, as I don't plan on changing my riding to suit your concept of trail respect and I don't feel the need to justify myself further, or outline all I've done in the last 35 years to protect the environment. I respect your right to have an opinion and I wish you'd do the same.
    It's not an opinion, you're breaking the rules of the park:

By accepting these term and conditions you, and / or anyone recieving a trail permit tag agree that The Fairmount Park hereby grants permission to use the facilities as outlined, subject to the terms and conditions of the rules and regulations of the Fairmount Park, and as contained herein and attached hereto all of which form part of this agreement.

- All trail users shall us the trails with common courtesy and safety for other park users.
    - All trail users shall observe a seven (7) mile per hour speed limit.
    - All trail users, except pedestrians, must proceed single file.
    - All dogs/pets shall be on a leash of no more than six (6) feet.
    - Anyone using Forbidden Drive or designated access roads will not require a permit.
    - All trail users over the age of sixteen (16), except pedestrians, must have a permit.
    - Cyclists are limited to the green blazed trails, Forbidden Drive and designated access roads.
    - Horse drawn vehicles any be driven on any equestrian trail of sufficient width.
    - Bicycles are not permitted in the Andorra Natural Area.
    - Cyclist must relinquish right of way to all other park users, except during sanctioned bike races.
    - No person may ride a bicycle or horse in the park between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.
    - Cyclists are not permitted to use trails when muddy conditions exist.
    - Motor vehicles are not allowed on Forbidden Drive or any park trail at anytime.

All permits granted shall be subject to Park rules and regulations, and the persons to whom such permits may be granted shall be bound by said rules and regulations as fully as though the same were inserted in said permits, and any persons to whom such permits any be granted shall be liable for any loss, damages or injury sustained by any person whatsoever by reason of the negligence of the person or persons to whom such permits may be granted, their servants or agents.

The simple fact of the matter is that the park specifically prohibits riding in the mud. You're free to have opinions about what constitutes environmental damage, but the rules are specific.

wot no bike?
    I don't think anyone here gives a crap about whether or not you respect one's rights to an opinion, the problem Steve is that you have ZERO respect for the environment as you arrogantly display in your photos, let alone the view others have of mountain bikers. People like you are the people that get us banned and despised by other user groups. And when you're called-on for your selfish self-centered behavior, you start name calling? All of your low class antics on the trail or online never cease to amaze.

All you've done in the last 35 years to protect the environment? Ha right, bull****.

PS: That "Wissahickon s/s 29er rider that has been riding for less than 10 years" would serve it to you ANY day of the week, guaranteed -- a far, far better rider than you. You couldn't hold a candle to him.
    pete

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast