Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Tire suggestions?

I could use some tire suggestions. I ride mostly XC and woodsy type trails (JT, Moon Lake, Blue Marsh, Marsh Creek). I ride a specialized FSR with the stock tire up front and an old Bontrager Jones XC in the rear. (Spec rear blew out, had Jones sitting around). I do ride aggressively at times depending on where I'm at. So I need something that will corner and hold up to rocks and roots. I'm not really too concerned with weight but I don't want the heaviest tire either. I'm looking for a 2.2 up front and a 2.0 or 2.1 out back.

banned
    Apr 2009
    I have a Jone's XR in the front now, and have a $12 Michelin AT in the rear(from REI). They have been discontinued and are real cheap these days( I got 2)--BUT it is the best rear tire I have ever used! Read the reviews.. It says 2.0 but measures about 2.1..

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Kenda Nevegal DTC in a 2.35 up front, maybe rear - good solid workhorse tire. Middlin-heavy weight but in that size has reasonably durable build. Slow roller though. Not so much a factor as a front tire but definitely as a rear tire.

Maxxis has a couple good offerings with their EXO sidewalls, the 2.35 or 2.5 Minion DHF / DHR in single-ply work very well as all-around tires and are stand-out to me. They run a bit small-to-size so the Maxxis 2.35 is more a 2.1/2.2-ish tire, and likewise the 2.5 is more a 2.3-ish tire. I'm planning on 2.5 DHF/DHR for my 26" bike for the bottom half of the year, if that tells you anything. I already have the 2.5 DHR on hand I just need to order the front. I plan on running them tubeless on Stan's rims FWIW.

smartass
    I run a Maxxis ADvantage 2.25 front and Crossmark 2.25 rear, both in the Maxxpro compound.

Love the combo. The ADvantage has plenty of volume and hooks up really well. The Crossmark has good volume as well, great traction even though it doesn't look like it would, and rolls fast, but the sidewalls just aren't tough enough for the rocks. I'm planning to try something with an EXO sidewall, maybe an Ardent, in the future.

I've had Nevegals on a couple of bikes, and never liked them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Definitely a fan of the Nevegals, but I run 2.1 front and rear with around 32-35 lbs. Seem to grip just about everything very well, roll pretty fast and are relatively light. Also recommend Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1. They weigh nothing, and roll very well and also have great traction on moderate trails. If you are riding alot of very rocky terrain, I would stick with the nevegals, they seem to be just a touch wider and have a better footprint. Just my 2 cents.
    I ride Camp Mack, Gretna, French Creek and Mt. Penn primarily.
    Last edited by A-Ray; 10-01-2010 at 10:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I had bad luck with nevegals. I got more flats on them. Someone told me they have thinner side walls, so are prone to flats.

A little bigger than what you want, but I love Panaracer Rampages. Right now I have a rampage up front and panaracer sx fire pro 2.1 on the rear.

Rolling on 650b
    Casting my vote for Panaracer Fire XC pros. I ride the same stuff you do and this tire never lets me down. Good all around traction, very light weight for the amount of tread they have, they wear well, and are some of the most reasonably priced tires you'll find.

mtbr member
    I'd second the minion DHF's at 2.35 or 2.5. I ran 2.5 front 2.35 rear and loved it running around white clay, marsh creek, french creek and the wiss.
    Pugsley, Bullit

Run With The Wind
    Panaracer fire xc w/ stans.

mtbr member
    I am not expert on tires to be sure... but, I run Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 on the front and Specialized Captain 2.0 on the rear (the Captain appears larger than the XC Pro). The Captain seems nice for cross country and is certainly light weight enough for me. Last year, however, I sliced the sidewalls twice. The XC Pro has given me no trouble, vouching with Clipless, that it performs as a solid runner. I used to have Bontrager Jones XC that seemed to last forever, but the LBS claims they were the worst tire on the market ever!

Anyway... the Captain seems to do a great job ( I really like it), but more expensive than the Fire XC Pro.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by trekmike; 10-04-2010 at 07:13 AM.

Do You Like To Climb?
    Sep 2004
    I like the Nevegal 2.35 as a front tire for most conditions but it is a slow rolling tire. I like Mountain Kings and Race Kings for the rear.
    '09 Altitude, '08 Fox Talas, '08 Easton Havocs, Fork & Shock Push'd 2011
    Retired: 2004 Slayer, 1999 Super-V, 1994 Killer-V

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm also looking for suggestions. I ride a Moto Phantom 29er ProSL that came with SB8s, I ended up damaging the sidewall on one of the tires and am now running the remaining SB8 on the rear with a Specy Eskar Control up front. So far the combo seems to perform fine though I've only ridden 2 times both at Swatara.

I'm looking to pick up some spares to keep on hand. I'm going to pick a set or two of WTB tires from Blue Sky as they are running a BOGO promotion.

So far I've ridden Swatara, Gretna, and Rocky Ridge. I plan on giving the Lakes a look and maybe Spring Valley. My favorite thus far is Swatara for it's flowiness.

My question is which tire would be the better tire for this area: ExiWolf or Prowler SL?

Thanks

mtbr member
    try out the continental vertical pros. they are listed as a 2.3 but as with all conti tires they run small. they roll better and are lighter than nevegals and they probably grip better as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by glahnb
    I had bad luck with nevegals. I got more flats on them. Someone told me they have thinner side walls, so are prone to flats.

A little bigger than what you want, but I love Panaracer Rampages. Right now I have a rampage up front and panaracer sx fire pro 2.1 on the rear.
    I used to get a lot of flats on the nevegals. Then I switched to a thicker inner tube and the amount of flats I've gotten reduced dramatically.

I tried the Panaracers. IMHO the Panaracer smoke is much better on the rear then the Nevegal. Less flats, but also much better traction, both on dirt and wet stones. And I mean much more noticeable traction.

Tried the panaracer dart classic on front, But the Nevegal just blows away that tire on traction when turning. The nevegal has a wider tred. Again IMHO.

So I have the nevegal in front and panaracer in back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have ran the Hutchinson Pythons and are among the best xc tires because they roll great but have the cornering traction like you mentioned. Wtb tires are also good and they usually have reasonable prices

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph SnakeSkin, set-up tubeless is my favorite all around tire.

mtbr member
    I rode Nevegals up front and a SB8 on the rear for about 2 years... Then my friend introduced me to the Excavator, ever since I use the Excavator / SB8 combo. For me, the Excavator corners better and rolls just as fast.

A few of my friends swear by Schwalbe tires and won't use anything else, they are expensive though.

I have had the worst luck with Bontrager tires...

mtbr member
    I use WTB Exiwolfs for mud and snow and Kenda Small Block 8s for the summer
    I'm the kind of person you need to keep your eye on or I'll wander off into the woods and forget to come back...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I agree with Evo, Bontrager tires can be ok if bought wit your bike but never go buy them again for replacements!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Nevegals. Panaracer Fire XC, Panaracers the ones that look like Nevegals, Kenda Slant Six 2.10 are the only ones avable but a 2.35 up front would be nice. I think they will be avable probally in March.

Chris
    WVMTBA

Did you ever have ham?
    I am running WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55, they seem to be a really good all-around tire!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yea I ride the same trails you mentioned. I live in the Reading area. I have been through countless sets of tires and I always come back to the same two brands. I run tubeless setup on both my AM and my Trail bike. On the AM bike I run Maxxis Highrollers, if your into the XC trails I dont recomend these tires but for AM I will use no other, I have had the same set on for almost a year and have plenty of miles left on them (no lie)! But on my XC bike which is a 2010 Yeti ASR 5, I run Specialized "The Captain". These tires hook up well on the rocky rooty technical terrane of Pa very well and have less drag "rolling resistance" that the Highrollers. However still a very versitile tire. I hope that was some help for ya!

~you may pass me on the way up, but I'll pass you on the way down. So who's faster?

banned
    Apr 2009
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph SnakeSkin, set-up tubeless is my favorite all around tire.
    That is the tread I am looking for (reminds me of my Bontrager Jones), can I run them front and back? Think I'm gonna pick 2 up tomorrow.

Now broadcasting from CO
    one vote for Maxxis Ignitors. Great grip, perform better in mud than FireXC Pros, and cheaper than Racing Ralphs...
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just put on Mountain King 2.4 on both ends. Want to see how they compare to the Ignitor I had in the back Racing Ralph on the front.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast