Thread: Tire setup

Cows make the best meat

Tire setup

What type of tires are you guys using. UST/regular/front/back/size/brand/pressure for XC/AM. I have a UST up front and regular in back (for now).
    - Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups -

Now broadcasting from CO
    I like UST tires around the 2.1" size with low rolling resistance and light weight. During the racing season, I run Maxxis Crossmarks or Ignitors depending on the conditions (ignitors for really rocky, Crossmarks for everything else). I run them at a rather conservative 35-36psi. In the past I have run Schwalbe Racing Ralphs (2.1 UST) which are awesome tires but not good for rocky stuff... thin sidewalls. For AM(ish) stuff I like the Kenda Nevegal rear Blue Groove front combo (same spec). They hook up like no other. If your looking for something a little meatier I've been running Michelin All Mountain 2.2 UST tires all winter and like them a lot. They hook up well, even in snow, if you drop your pressure down to 25psi. And don't worry about sidewalls; these things are bomber and really heavy (850g per tire). Hope that helps..

-PA
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I only ride UST. Hutchinson 2.0 python (r) and a 2.0 bulldog (f) for a good part of last year, good combo, pretty fast but not great for cornering and the bulldog was toasted in under 25 rides. I switched the bulldog out for a WTB Weirwolf for more stability but tore a gash in first ride, WTB gave me a new one for free (great customer service) and gashed that too. So I switched it up this year, a little chunkier, Kenda 2.1 Nevegal (r) and Kenda 2.2 Kinetic (f). The Kinetic is giving me trouble though, my floor pump just won't inflate it, have to use the LBS's compressor. O and use Stans, it's worth it, will help prevent pinch flats.

Cows make the best meat
    Thanks guys I've read good things on the Maxxis. How deep of snow did ya have the Michelin AM's in? The Nokian Extremes seem like a very highly thought of ice tire but not for snow. Don't like the sounds of the gashing or need for a compressor. How much of a pain is it to reseat a UST with a frame pump? That is the only thing that has me nerivous with the UST setup. Def running the Stans.
    - Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups -

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    my experience is that once you seat the UST bead (with a compressor or floor pump), it is much easier to re-seat it at a later time.

PMBA
    I've been using Maxxis UST on Mavic rims for years now with fantastic results (2.35 High Rollers are my fav). Once you get them seated you don't have to worry about them at all. I like to run 32psi front. 35psi back. I'm 185lbs and mostly ride Wiss.

www.phillymtb.com
    Keep crowded trails friendly. Go by slow and say "hello"
    Tom Coyle www.phillymtb.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    the high rollers are great tires. FWIW, also i noticed once i had the kenda's seated for a week or so i have been able to get them inflated with my floor pump.