Super Clyde

Thinking about relocating.

I'm thinking about moving to somewhere that is more mountain bike friendly. I'm looking in SE PA as well as Asheville, NC. I'm thinking either the Lehigh Valley Area or York area. I lived in Northampton County, about 20 mins from Blue Mountain as a kid, and my Mom lives in the York area, so I'm somewhat familiar with those areas. I'm currently a nurse, and the company I work for has offices in both cities. What is available to ride in those areas? I'm essentially a beginner now, it's been about 11 years since I've seen any single track, and I didn't ride a whole lot back then. I'm picking up a Trek Stache 8 when they are available next month. As of now all my riding, about 250 miles worth, has been on the roads, on my old mountain bike with slicks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Can really go wrong with either place. And I love the trails we have here in SE PA. And the way of life here is amazing. I absolutely love it here.

That said, if MTB is your primary purpose of such a move... go to Asheville. SO much amazing riding there. Asheville is one of the very few places (ok, two places - that and parts of Ft. Collins, CO) that I would pick up and move to tomorrow from here.

Also on consideration: You can't go wrong with the beer in either place.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Rocky Ridge in York is my 2nd favorite trail (THE WISS in Philly is the first)----and here you are an hour from Fair Hill.. also French Creek, etc..

This is Real Mountain biking here (rocky, rooty...) I just can't fathom how folks ride sooth hills out west... on a mountainbike??? just get a road bike for that!!

Twisty, turny, short and steep up and downs, rocky, rooty---that is what of think of when riding a mountain bike......

mtbr member
    Honestly, there are some nice places here but they are nothing compared to what you can find around Asheville, NC. No comparison. If you have that opportunity, go there.

If you are going to be in the SEPA area, I would look at Allentown.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I don't pretend to have an exhaustive list, but my push-pin map should give you an idea of the riding possibilities in the region.

View East coast MTB Riding in a larger map

I forget which club I got the following similar link off, and while it has a fair bit of cross-over to my map it also has a bunch more places in the PA/NJ/DE area, in addition to some more southerly outliers.

Tri State MTB Map

I think you should choose between the two regions more on climate, as I'm pretty sure the MTB riding is competitive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Definitely plenty of riding around SE PA. I live just north of King of Prussia. Within an hour or so I have French Creek, Valley Forge, Wiss, Green Lane, Nockamixon, Ralph Stover, White Clay, Brandywine, Belmont plateau, pennypack, marsh creek, blue marsh, mt. penn, bear creek....and...I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Plus like 247 said...this is fun east coast mountain biking. Wiss, French Creek, and Bear Creek will rattle your teeth out and have you comming back for more

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I grew up in EPA, and I now live in WPA, and I've ridden in Asheville multiple times.

I love the PA riding I do, it's excellent....But if I was to move somewhere, that is very bike friendly and has more trails and terrain type to check out...Asheville has it.

You can go from Epic Pisgah, to Super Flowtastic Dupont, to a great park in Bent Creek....and that's only three places....well Pisgah is so damn big...there are truly almost endless opps there.

Yes there are Rocks and Roots and tech trails. Even some Slick Rock in Dupont....so yeah...Asheville....besides the weather is better there. Hands down better.
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Bear....do you have the ability to update that map? Let me know, I can give you pins for out here in West PA.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by vack View Post
    Bear....do you have the ability to update that map? Let me know, I can give you pins for out here in West PA.
    The first map link I posted is my own, so yes I can update that. Feel free to PM me any and all things you think should be added.

If you send me your e-mail, full name, and phone # and promise to behave I'll set you up as a collaborator and you can add directly. I'm greedy about that other info because I want to know who'se working on "my" data. :^)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I know nothing about NC, but I DO know that the LV now has tons of riding compared to when you were last here. Better than York.

Bikevmb.com and click on the Trails section. From Allentown you're within 10-30 min of at least 6 awesome trail systems.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Asheville without a doubt. I've taken a few MTB specific vacations there and it rocks. Tons of riding options, great weather (can just about ride year around), awesome alternate outdoor activities to give biking a break. Pick up any bike mag and you are bound to find references to riding in WNC (Western NC). It's that good that it gets national props.

Spring! Spring! Spring!

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    The first map link I posted is my own, so yes I can update that. Feel free to PM me any and all things you think should be added.

If you send me your e-mail, full name, and phone # and promise to behave I'll set you up as a collaborator and you can add directly. I'm greedy about that other info because I want to know who'se working on "my" data. :^)
    Yeah Bear It's cool, I'll PM you that stuff...you should have it anyway, that way you can get a hold of me directly if I'm back home and riding and you want to come join us. Easier for me to plan stuff with peeps by actually speaking to them, instead of constantly looking for forum updates. I'll PM you now, and with Address of some excellent spots out here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I think you need to look at what else you want to do outside of just riding and work. If all you did in your social time was ride, then without a doubt I'd choose NC.

Honestly, I think in any choice I'd personally chose Asheville over York, but that's me. You have to take into account the “culture and vibe” of each location. They both have a lot to offer, but are very different from one another.

South Central Pa has a lot to offer and access to cities and locations within a driving distance. It’s not as progressive as other locations, but has improved. York hasn’t been call “sh#t town” for nothing. I say that endearingly because I from there and go home frequently to see family. The trails are nice. Within a 90 minute radius of York you have access to multiple trail systems. You also have city, suburbs and congestion that comes with the area.

I have family in Asheville as well and it’s very different than York. You have a mixture of money, tourism, counter culture, granola, good food and beer. I personally like the “vibe” there better. To me it embraces a true outdoor lifestyle 24/7.

I live in Philly now and was very surprised to find the great amount of trails to ride. Lehigh Valley has a lot to offer.

What type of nursing do you practice? Since you have family in York, have you visited Asheville?

Super Clyde
    I'm a home care nurse right now,an d there's no shortage of jobs. I like it because of the flexible hours. Right now I'm working evening shift, which gives me plenty of time to ride during the day. I've been to Asheville but it's been a few years. I'm planning a trip out there next month to check things out again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    All my nursing friends are in the same boat with job opportunities. Honestly, you can't go wrong with LV or Asheville. But again, I'd chose Asheville.