mtbr member
    Aug 2005

things that make you go hmmm.....

Two things happened this past week that have me scratching my head.

1) I saw a piece on the local news about how the Pocono tourism folks are tying to change their image from the heart-shaped tub capital of the world to something more "active". A soundbite featured a spokesperson saying "we need to attract mountain bikers and rafters".
    Since this group seemed to be Monroe county centered, it made me wonder where he thought they would ride?
    The story didn't make it sound like they had a plan to do that, just that they "needed to".

2) I got my car registration renewal in the mail and in the envelope is a flyer promoting mtb'ing! It says: "Tell us your biking stories" with a photo, and we'll add it to our website.

I do a little investigating and find the site. I'm surprised to see a blog entry on Jim Thorpe! Of course, it's from 2005 (nice) and the first paragraph is classic.
    "Hello and welcome to Jim Thorpe, PA - Mountain Bike Hot Spot and Outdoor Enthusiast Central for the East Coast... Well, that's what a big sign should say upon entering this town. But it doesn't, and that's okay with me. After all, who would want to have to spend the day fighting for trails, river time and mountain time with other people when I can have it basically all to myself?"

Um.. are we promoting tourism here????

That's followed by this understatement:
    "My usual trail rides this time were changed because some of the trails have been closed recently, but the Twin-Peaks Loop, Gravity Railroad, and a few of the mainstays are still open."

Just made me go hmmmm....
    What do you guys think? Seems like the people who are supposedly promoting mtb'ing are missing the big picture. I just wonder how much money is being spent on promoting trails instead of building them?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

hmmmm

Sounds like an opportunity to me. You've already got the people who can grant permission with the right mindset, track them down and get involved, get others involved, you'd be surprised what can happen. Trails don't build themselves... but mountain bikers can and do when they try.