mtbr member

There's bear in them woods.

I live in Venango county , Oil City . Went out on my bike a week ago . My ride took me through the old Pennzoil lower tank farm. I then went up the road at the old main gate , and up the draw. They were timbering up there, lots of tops every where. It was pretty rough going , as all the tops were every where , and my ride became a crawl over downed trees. I had just crested one of these trees[ took me 15 minutes to get over it] AND LOKED UP and saw 4 black things scrambling up a tree about 75 yards in front of me. I thought for a second "what are those things , looks like ???' YES 4 bear cubs. And I'm in an area that I only have a 8 to 12 yard open view in any direction. A little sceary, for sure . I grabed a long sturdy stick and started banging on any thing withen reach, and yelling . I had top get to some better ground so I assended a ridge about 50 yards up , and it was not much better ground as the timbering was going on up there too.
    I never saw the MAMA'S but it was a little hairy for a bit. So beware , there's BEAR IN THEM WOODS.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    sounds pretty exciting, glad you got out without meeting momma bear.

Hermit
    Wow, that's an experience I could do without.

I'm pretty familiar with Venango Co. from kayaking (never seen any bears there though), but I don't think I'm familiar with the old tank farm area you're talking about. Is that part of the State Forest trails across from Kennerdell?

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

bears (WA)...

Definitely worse to cross paths with a cub than a bear... If you do, your head better be on a swivel as you back out of there. I've practiced quick-drawing the bear spray out of the webbing of my Camelback. I've only seen bears to date. No confrontations; When I get into areas where's it's apparent I'm sharing the trail, I try to announce myself ("coming up") every few minutes. Especially, if I'm downwind of my direction of travel. Otherwise the bear would have probably smelled/heard me coming and bailed; I figure if given the option (and time) bears and cubs prefer to flee.
    Last edited by MarkHL; 05-07-2010 at 10:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swampboy62
    Wow, that's an experience I could do without.

I'm pretty familiar with Venango Co. from kayaking (never seen any bears there though), but I don't think I'm familiar with the old tank farm area you're talking about. Is that part of the State Forest trails across from Kennerdell?

Steve Z
    No tank farm in in Rouseville , its the old Pennzoil refinery's tank farm , [ THERE ARE ACTUALLY TWO TANK FARMS] and you can ride through both now that the refinery is gone, but I
    m not sure who owns the land now. I have seen bear in that area the last 5 years, but never cubs . AND YES MY HEAD WAS ON A SWIVEL , getting the hell out of there.