Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I understand that the county is in need of money but im not sure that is a good thing. Yes, 400 acres are eligible for harvest but it would cause more harm in the long term. I have a couple of friends in the logging business and destruction isn't the word to cover it. Its not just about a few trees here n there. Where the harvest takes place everything is cut. Its not as selective as people would think or told. Small trees in the way of intended targets get cut and are left where they land. Stumps are left and not pulled. The land looks like a war zone after they are done and no effort is made to restore it or even a slight clean up. Family members as well as friends that turned to logging as a means of temp income during the recession were left with property so damaged even years later its still damaged and it will take several years before it begins to repair Itself.
    We as mountain bikers treasure the land that our beloved trails are built on. We don't destroy it. Sure we will occasionally unknowingly drop a water bottle or a wrapper from a trail side snack but we clean up and tend to the property. Leave no trace. That has been drilled into our heads from the start. We have delt with the politics and flack surrounding our sport from its inception bbetween park/land owners and hikers. There has always been the stereotypical cloud of doom over us. We worsen erosion or cause it, we damage trails ect ect...its been proven that we and our noble steeds cause no more damage than anyone else. We in fact do less damage than hikers. We tend our precious trails and land they are on because we know we have nothing if we don't. And taking our ability to ride away is a fate some of us couldn't deal with. Mountain biking is in our blood and to lose that would be akin to losing a body part.
    I think there are other ways for the county to raise funds that dont reqire the destruction of our "home" if this actually goes past the talk phase and comes toffruition then we as a group as well as anyone else who put wheels down in our park need to gather up and make sure our voice is heard. And if we can't change their minds then we need to prepare for a massive clean up and restoration after its done.
    Sorry for rambling n ranting. Its a sore subject with me. And forgive me if this post reply gets messed up. I tried to post and it was cut in half the 1st attempt so im putting an edit in. Hopefully it doesn't get messed up or duplicate. Such is my luck
    Last edited by angelbeez78; 11-14-2013 at 09:35 PM. Reason: it cut most of my post out

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Logging is not necessarily a bad thing,depending on the logger and oversight by land managers.a friend of mine had 80 acres logged and they did an amazing job,sure there is loss of smaller trees and of course stumps but they cleaned up the majority of the tree tops.they even respected the trails we have there.as a bonus have some nice flow stuff now that did not exist before!

mtbr member
    Seems like bad news no matter whether its done properly or not...

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hopefully it's nicer than what was done at Merli... also, this was said in the comments section, but in their estimate of how much acreage can be harvested, did they factor in the lake?
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

The White Jeff W

Re: There is talk of logging Moon Lake...

The county opened our park (Bradys Run) to logging a few years ago. They only got about 5 acres but they tore the hell out of it. They bulldozed roads through the woods to drag trees out and left debris everywhere. In the end we rebuilt the trails better than they were and did get a new parking lot, but the area is still an eyesore.

Get after your commissioners and let them know there's opposition. If no one says anything they'll assume the public is cool with it.
    No moss...

wounded knee
    First off they are saying there is 1600 acres
    In their own feasability study they listed the park something like 548.3 acres NOT 1600
    If you take into account the lake and developed ares you have maybe 300 acres left, out of that how many trees are actually good for harvesting ?
    If this goes through the ecosystem and our our trals will be destroyed and it would take years of work to make a new trail system, it will never be the same again.
    There is a budget meeting this Monday & Tuesday at the courthouse 6PM, I plan on going.
    EVERYONE who rides and enjoys Moon Lake Park should try to be at one of these meetings, like Jeff said if no one shows up they figure they have no opposition, is all they see are dollar signs.

WE NEED A SHOW OF FORCE!
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

The White Jeff W

Re: There is talk of logging Moon Lake...

I just went through this again a couple weeks ago when I read an article on the paper ssying that the county was considering allowing fracking in our park.

I emailed all 3 of our county commissioners, the Dept of Recreation & Tourism, the county conservation district, the head of the softball league and gun range (both in the park), wrote a letter to the editor of the paper (it was printed ), posted on the facebook page of the local mtb club, Beaver County Parks, Pittsburgh Trail Advocacy Group, Pitt Off Road Cyclists and this site with the commissioners email addresses encouraging everyone to write & voice concern about the proposal.

A couple days later I got an email from the county solicitor assuring me that there wouldn't be any drilling and to please back off lol. I also got a call from the commissioners office putting me in touch with the newly hired head of the parks dept.

Moral - be proactive and make it uncomfortable for them. Let them know there's opposition. Be polite and professional and outline the negative consequenses and impact on recreation in the park-that logging would be akin to destroying a ball field or tennis court.

Get after them!
    No moss...

wounded knee
    Jeff:
    Nice work, glad you got it stopped.

We did also in the past have to stop them from fracking at Moon Lake also, that to was a battle
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

wounded knee
    I have also asked on our face book page if someone can type up a well worded form kletter that we can bombard the commissioners with?
    I found all their emails

Jim Bobeck jbobeck@luzernecounty.org (570) 706-2550

Edward A. Brominski eabrominski@luzernecounty.org (570) 706-2551

Elaine Maddon Curry emcurry@luzernecounty.org (570) 706-2552

Harry Haas hhaas@luzernecounty.org (570) 706-2553

Linda McClosky Houck (Vice-Chair) lmhouck@luzernecounty.org (570) 706-2554

Eugene L. Kelleher elkelleher@luzernecounty.org (570) 706-2555

Tim McGinley (Chair) tmcginley@luzernecounty.org (570) 706-2556

Rick Morelli rmorelli@luzernecounty.org (570) 706-2558

Stephen A. Urban saurban@luzernecounty.org (570) 706-2559

Stephen J. Urban sjurban@luzernecounty.org (570) 706-2560

Rick Williams rwilliams@luzernecounty.org (570) 706-2561

Or this one goes to them ALL

Group email address (each Council member receives the email)

Luzerne County Council Members LCCM@luzernecounty.org
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

wounded knee
    This is also on the Commissioners page.
    Maybe they better read it!

Mission Statement

The Mission of Luzerne County Government is to provide honest, effective, efficient, and equitable services to the residents of Luzerne County and to enhance the quality of life in the County through sustainable economic development and environmental stewardship.

Vision

Luzerne County will be a safe and healthy community with a diverse, prosperous, and sustainable economy, offering excellent services while preserving the natural environment, local history, and culture.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

wounded knee
    COUNTY MANAGER

Robert C. Lawton

(570) 825-1635

County.Manager@luzernecounty.org
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

The White Jeff W
    Wow you have a lot of commissioners! We only have 3 lol

I thought I had some pictures of the logging damage but they must be on my old computer. All I could find was this from the club facebook page. I was hoping you could use them to show your commissioners what kind of damage is done. Sorry :/ They bulldozed roads in the woods so the skidder above could get in & drag trees out.

There is talk of logging Moon Lake...-36347_1525780784009_3023852_n.jpg

This is the parking area they built to shut us up about the logging lol. Its roughly where the skidder sits above.

There is talk of logging Moon Lake...-902121_10200919118719764_1311704427_o-1-.jpg

I forgot about this mess. They dredged Brady's Run Lake & dumped all the silt up by the ballfields. In the foreground you can see a little sliver of trail where it used to spill out on the access road. We rebuilt all that, too. Down in the woods on the right, again, better than before.

There is talk of logging Moon Lake...-38749_1569766243618_2023993_n.jpg
    No moss...

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Moon Lake is a mt bike heaven to the locals and visitors who use this land. We have worked very hard to keep it fun for all and it has stood the test of time. We always welcomed everyone and you all have spoken and support this great place. I'm not against logging. We all use lumber products.

Others such as dog walkers and hikers also use these trails, destroying these or any trails is not acceptable!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Here is our FB page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/ridedamoon/

If your interested in another info thread

mtbr member
    Having worked on and ridden trails that had been "upset" by logging, the one thing I DIDN'T anticipate was how much more trail maintenance is required afterward. Once the tree canopy is gone, the underbrush THRIVES. Especially picker-bushes. So instead of just a couple of light trims and leaf-blows, we'll need several more weed-wacking sessions. I'm not against logging, either. Just not in MY neighborhood - and I think Moon Lake is considered a neighborhood for many. Plus, the reasoning behind it is flimsy at best.

wounded knee
    I got an answer from one of the Council members.

Edward Brominski (ebrom12@comcast.net)

11/15/13
    Thank you for your correspondence
    I would hope you will attend the meeting when presentations are made regarding this issue. I believe you will see all proposed will show something different from what you perceive. Looking forward to seeing you then or earlier

Sincerely. Edd Brominski
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have some logging pics somewhere between my computer and multiple sd cards for my phone. I can go through and upload them and email them out. Ill post some on this thread if its ok that way whoever can upload them for their own email protest to our lovely, charming food chain officials. I had to get pics of several properties and the damage done after the logging was finished.
    Dealing with these officials will be a slippery slope so like it was said earlier, our results will be far better and have a bigger impact if everyone gets involved. We should get a petition started and posted in safe spot at the moon itself for everyone to sign if they wish as they come through n ride. Keep it in a weather proof safe box geo cashe style.
    As far as the nonsense posted on the county website about providing an abundance of services for the citizens of the county and different recreational activities, they will slip around that with the whole lecture on how the logging of mature trees is going to fund future endeavors for more recreational activities and better current parks. Yada yada yada. Typical snake in the grass lecture we all are familiar with and come to expect from our officials

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider6 View Post
    I got an answer from one of the Council members.

Edward Brominski (ebrom12@comcast.net)

11/15/13
    Thank you for your correspondence
    I would hope you will attend the meeting when presentations are made regarding this issue. I believe you will see all proposed will show something different from what you perceive. Looking forward to seeing you then or earlier

Sincerely. Edd Brominski
    Thank you for taking the time to answer back.
    Can you enlighten me further on how this will not affect the park and it's visitors?
    As far as attending meetings yes we ALL plan on attending the meetings there is a huge Mountain Biking Community in Pennsylvania and you have our attention

Ed Brominski (ebrom12@comcast.net)

7:25 AM
    To: Charles

Charles: I met with the principals involved for over an hour. Generally, because of the length of time needed to explain, my understanding of the proposal is to take stewardship of the land and not clear cut , but rather take only selected trees annually. Trees then would be topped and that material used as mulch to create trails in the wooded area where their equipment left ruts. Along the trails there would be exercise stations for use by hikers and bikers. They would clear out dead hard and soft wood trees, clear under trees material , leaves etc. , that would prevent new growth. This would be a yearly process as they would not take all the trees they found beneficial in one year. Cuttings would be a fall activity as , the trees taken would be done when there was less sap involved. The main person I spoke to is an Engineer and a Forrester Graduate of the U. Of Maryland. He also did this work for the Federal government and was in service for 30 years. Google him.. His name is Clarence F. LaMora, Jr. Also, this all would be done at no cost to the county yet the county would get 50% of all profits from the sale of the wood.
    Thanks again... Edd Brominski
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

wounded knee
    Please take a moment to sign this petition I started to save Moon Lake from Timbering and ruining the trail system.
    Please post to your wall on facebook
    We need at least 100 signatures so they can then be directed to council emails.

Please join this campaign: http://chn.ge/1hStcoa
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

ganginwood
    Geographically, Moon lake is a pretty small place. If I had a dog in that race I'd want them to do everything in one shot so you can start rebuilding asap. Because of its diminutive stature, if its "selective" you will run into them every year.

I wonder if this has to do with the aggressive timbering of the ash tree to eradicate the emerald borer. Most land owners have conceded their fight with the beatle and anticipate the extinction of the ash tree. They are trying to get some money for the wood while its still usable. Perhaps not, but it could be part of the equation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by ganginwood View Post
    Geographically, Moon lake is a pretty small place. If I had a dog in that race I'd want them to do everything in one shot so you can start rebuilding asap. Because of its diminutive stature, if its "selective" you will run into them every year.

I wonder if this has to do with the aggressive timbering of the ash tree to eradicate the emerald borer. Most land owners have conceded their fight with the beatle and anticipate the extinction of the ash tree. They are trying to get some money for the wood while its still usable. Perhaps not, but it could be part of the equation.
    It may be small, but it's our go to place for local riding, and I am going to do everything I can to keep it that way.
    I refuse to give into their greed for money at the expence of people and land.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Petition signed.

I posted a link to this thread in a local mountain biker forum, and someone posted this:

"I've never ridden Moon Lake, but I wish the best of luck to those that do in the fight to keep it natural. Luzerne County is probably the most corrupt county in the state, for those not in the know you can search out what the county, along with corrupt judges, politicians and lawyers with numerous conflicts of interest did to Paragon Adventure Park. The best you can do is get your point out, but most likely they've already sealed a deal under the table."

...is that true?
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

The White Jeff W
    signed
    No moss...

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Hold on...
    ...why are we responsible to rebuild it?

Quote Originally Posted by ganginwood View Post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast