Inbred Homebrewer

Is there a dankilling in da house?

Hey Dan,

Read your review of the Evil DOC. Just curious if you still have it and, if so, how do you like it after putting some miles on it?

My Handjob finally cracked (2 places: seat tube & down tube), so I'm shopping around for a replacement. Won't be used for street, just trail riding - probably w/ 5" fork.

Thanks for any info!

-Joe
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Stick!! Where the hell have you been? The DOC is definitely more of a jumpy/streety bike- I was never particularly satisfied with it on the trail. If you like the Evil's, check out the Soverign- it addresses everything that I didnt like about the DOC for trail riding-it has a lower BB and steeper head angle (the DOC really felt its best with 80mm on the front) Honestly, though, Ive gone back to the Chameleon for trail riding, and a 5" is pretty much that bike's sweet spot in my opinion. If you really want steel, you might want to check out the on-one 4-5-6...it is a sweet ride, isnt too heavy, and isnt expensive. Let me know what you find and we need to go riding again soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    dan, did you end up keeping that beautiful blue chameleon? or are you talking about another one?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Don- I still have the blue one- it sits nicely on my shelf and is still for sale...I guess no one wants a small...Im talking about the red one I was riding at the Bash, but its had a facelift- went from the Pike to a Revelation, geared back to singlespeed, and I have a few more niceties planned for it this year to lighten it up a bit. Its like lizard-fest over here in the Lehigh Valley- we have red ones, green ones, orange ones, custom-painted-flourescent-metallic-pearl ones... basically enough that we could almost have a club of our own and about half are geared, half are SS. Ahhhh lizard love. I think I need to go flog my lizard tonight

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by dankilling
    Stick!! Where the hell have you been? The DOC is definitely more of a jumpy/streety bike- I was never particularly satisfied with it on the trail. If you like the Evil's, check out the Soverign- it addresses everything that I didnt like about the DOC for trail riding-it has a lower BB and steeper head angle (the DOC really felt its best with 80mm on the front)
    Thanks for the scoop. I definitely want something that'll work with 100 - 130 mm travel, at a minimum. I've had my eye on the sovereign and, the more I read about it, the more I think it might be the frame for me, even if it means plunking down more dough. Combine the geometry, all-reynolds tubing, massive tire clearance and sheer versatility of it, and I think it's a bike I could be happy with for a long, long time.

Honestly, though, Ive gone back to the Chameleon for trail riding, and a 5" is pretty much that bike's sweet spot in my opinion. If you really want steel, you might want to check out the on-one 4-5-6...it is a sweet ride, isnt too heavy, and isnt expensive. Let me know what you find and we need to go riding again soon.
    The 456 was actually the first frame I thought of when I found the cracks in the Cove. Then stymie suggested I look into the Sovereign - and it was love at first sight. I asked about the DOC only because it's $300 cheaper.

Re: riding... I'm in! Maybe you can show me around Sals sometime after I get my frame issues sorted?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Cool! I would be happy to hit up Sals...Im good on almost any Sunday for riding, so just let me know...look forward to seeing the Sov build- they are sweet bikes.

Hoopy Frood
    You could also check out a Prince Albert:

http://www.dialledbikes.com/products...ncealbert.html

They're available is cheaper steel or 853 and can handle a long fork.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Dan,

it's a shame no one wants that blue one. it was sure pretty. makes me wish i could fit a small. my chameleon measures in at a 12.5" frame and i tell you it's way too small for me. fabulous frame though.

Inbred Homebrewer

Rolling once again....

Cool! I would be happy to hit up Sals...Im good on almost any Sunday for riding, so just let me know...look forward to seeing the Sov build- they are sweet bikes.
    Pricepoint raised the price of the Sovereign by an additional $100 (to $850) overnight, before I pulled the trigger on one. So, I said fck it and went with my original plan. I'm sure Evil builds a killer frame but, for that price, I could buy two of the 456s, SHIPPED, and still have money in my pocket.

So, here's what I ended up with:

http://picasaweb.google.com/joe.dunkelfester/456

So far, I'm loving it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    that thing is looking pimpy! Nice ride...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Pricepoint raised the price of the Sovereign by an additional $100 (to $850) overnight, before I pulled the trigger on one. So, I said fck it and went with my original plan. I'm sure Evil builds a killer frame but, for that price, I could buy two of the 456s, SHIPPED, and still have money in my pocket.

So, here's what I ended up with:

http://picasaweb.google.com/joe.dunkelfester/456

So far, I'm loving it.
    Sweet! Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh - the 456 was on my short list before I committed to the Rohloff.

On a related note, too bad you can't use the animated Cove skull for you avatar...

Freshly Fujified

Nice looking ride

Very nice looking bike Stick. Two questions: 1) Which Marzocchi fork is that?
    2) I thought you gave up on SRAM after the JRA breakage issue. Change of heart?

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Very nice looking bike Stick. Two questions: 1) Which Marzocchi fork is that?
    2) I thought you gave up on SRAM after the JRA breakage issue. Change of heart?

Bob
    1) It's an '05 All-Mountain SL (110 - 130mm)

2) Hardly a change of heart. The derailleur on the bike is the replacement SRAM sent me. I decided to use it because it's brand new and wasn't doing me any good sitting in the box in my attic. The shifters had to go back on with the derailleur 'cos they're the only 1:1 shifters I had. But it's funny that you mention it, because those shifters have been nothing but trouble. First, getting that stupid rubber screw out to replace the cables proved to be a pain in the ass. One of them was stuck, and turning it with a screwdriver quickly illustrated why it's a FU#KING STUPID idea to make screws out of rubber. I mean, really, could they pick a worse material to make a phillips-head screw out of?? I couldnt get it out without loosening the 4 screws that hold the whole shifter together. And, anyone who's ever tried this knows that it's a risky proposition becuase the internal workings of those shifters are like a damned swiss watch (if swiss watches were poorly assembled by sweathouse laborers!). So, as a result of all that, my rear shifter's gear indicator doesn't work anymore.

If I had bottomless pockets, I'd throw the whole pile of X-9 crap in the garbage tomorrow. But, it's functional enough for now and I'm feeling too lazy to switch back to the LX/Attack combo I had on the Cove, so. . .

Freshly Fujified
    You need to be a little more direct about how you feel, bro (j/k). Sorry to hear they've been such a hassle. Beautiful bike regardless of the problems with the shifters, etc. I hope the bike gives you many miles of riding pleasures.

Bob

P.S. Check your pm BOX.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by stymie
    On a related note, too bad you can't use the animated Cove skull for you avatar...

Yeah, it's wierd. I can't seem to get it to work as an avatar. If I upload it directly to my profile via mtbr, I get a message saying I may not upload animated images. If I host it elsewhere and try to link to it, I get an 'invalid url' message.

Odd, because lots of other people have animated avatars...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    riding pleasures.
    Did someone say "riding pleasures"?

Freshly Fujified

Oh jeezz...

I sound like a condom ad.

Ribbed, lubed, latex or lambskin?