MaverickMotoMedia.com

Are there any fat-bike riders in the Philly area?

post up! Let's put a fat ride together!
    Last edited by Gigantic; 01-04-2013 at 11:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    You can read this two different ways, LOL.

chaindriven
    Apr 2010

Taking the Fattie out tomorrow

I've had the FATBACK for 2 years now and I plan to ride at Brandywine on Saturday. I know a good loop there that takes 2 hours. Let me know if you want to join me.
    Last edited by Mikemcg; 01-04-2013 at 05:31 PM. Reason: No picture

chaindriven
    Apr 2010
    http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/500/IMG_0171.jpg

I attempted to post a picture of my FATBACK-here goes...

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    How about next weekend? My buddy has a Neck Romancer and my Pugsley will be in next week. We usually ride Valley Forge, but perhaps he might be up for a road trip, unless you want to ride vf. Our normal loop is about 12 miles& there's an additional 5 miles or so and with fat bikes, who needs trails?

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodninja View Post
    You can read this two different ways, LOL.
    Ya there's lots of fat people in Philly. Im sure some of them ride bikes
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    don't have a modern fatbike... but the old school version of a snowbike... a beater frame w/ DH tires

chaindriven
    Apr 2010

Still planning to ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    How about next weekend? My buddy has a Neck Romancer and my Pugsley will be in next week. We usually ride Valley Forge, but perhaps he might be up for a road trip, unless you want to ride vf. Our normal loop is about 12 miles& there's an additional 5 miles or so and with fat bikes, who needs trails?
    DId you get the Pugs and if so, are you still planning to ride? I think Sunday works better for me this weekend but let me know about your schedule as I may be able to be flexible.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I'm picking it up in an hour. I'm totally up for a ride- I'll talk to my buddy & see what his schedule is, too.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    it didn't show up on the UPS truck, so I'll have to put it off 'til next weekend, or I can just ride my 29er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I live in Allentown, getting another fat bike in a few weeks so I'd be down for driving down sometime
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

chaindriven
    Apr 2010

Brandywine on Sunday

I will be riding Brandywine tomorrow around 1 or 1:30. Let me know if you would like to join me. I would like to explore VF with you sometime. First, I want to recover fully from another bout with this darn Lymes (just diagnosed again and on the meds for it). It just saps my energy and causes a lot of pain in my joints. So, I'll be a few gears lower than ususl but I will be out there.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemcg View Post
    I will be riding Brandywine tomorrow around 1 or 1:30. Let me know if you would like to join me. I would like to explore VF with you sometime. First, I want to recover fully from another bout with this darn Lymes (just diagnosed again and on the meds for it). It just saps my energy and causes a lot of pain in my joints. So, I'll be a few gears lower than ususl but I will be out there.
    there's a 50% chance that I'll be there. I'm hard to miss; I'm VERY large on a 23" Specialized 29er. I assume you'l be the guy on the fat bike?

chaindriven
    Apr 2010

Yeah-an orange Fatback

OK-I usually start from the big parking lot next to the river on Brandywine Creek Road near the intersection of Beaver Dam Road.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    nevermind, found it.

chaindriven
    Apr 2010

I looked for you

I arrived at 1:10 or so and left the parking lot around 1:30. I hope I didn't miss you but if so, I hope you had a good ride. I finished up at 4:30 so it was a good long but not fast ride.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I f@¢£ed up. I got there around 1 and realized that I'd left my CX wheels on and left my mtb wheels at home, so I drove back grabbed my wheels and decided to ride the Wiss, instead. sorry. Next week, I hope to have my Sh@† together.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    My pal Isaac and I are riding our fatties at Valley Forge this Sunday at 8:00 am. we're meeting on the old Trooper Rd bridge abutment, here. It's on the south side of the Schuykill. to get there, take the PA-23 Valley Forge Rd Exit off 422. We'll most likely ride across the bridge & do the Betzwood side first, which is about 8-10 miles, then come back & hit the south side, which is about 4 miles.you can see the sections if you explore the area on Strava
    Last edited by Gigantic; 01-16-2013 at 03:56 PM.

chaindriven
    Apr 2010

Wow, that's early

That is too early for me-thanks anyway. Keep me posted if you have an afternoon ride planned sometime. I did get out last night and had to break out my helmet light to see my back in the dark. Some of the rocks were still hiding and gave me a few surprises!

Let me know if you want to ride at Brandywine sometime.

Dinner for wolves
    I just rode my Pugsley in Belmont this morning. I know of two other fat riders as well. Pretty rare sight in these parts...which I suppose makes some sense given the pathetic snowfall we typically get here. So far the only snow ride I got in was at Salisbury in Allentown.
    Responds to gravity

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemcg View Post
    That is too early for me-thanks anyway. Keep me posted if you have an afternoon ride planned sometime. I did get out last night and had to break out my helmet light to see my back in the dark. Some of the rocks were still hiding and gave me a few surprises!

Let me know if you want to ride at Brandywine sometime.
    we usually start early so we can ride while the trails are still frozen & not too muddy; that, and most of my riding friend work at High Road Cycles in Wayne, and often have to open the shop at 11. we had 4 of us, 2 fatbikes and 2 on 29ers.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    I just rode my Pugsley in Belmont this morning. I know of two other fat riders as well. Pretty rare sight in these parts...which I suppose makes some sense given the pathetic snowfall we typically get here. So far the only snow ride I got in was at Salisbury in Allentown.
    we should all put together a fat ride, somewhere centrally located. I hear there's a chance of snow on friday. let's keep our fingers x-ed.
    It's funny, I was in Iowa last fall, which is usually 10 years behind what's going on here and fat bikes were everywhere!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    How do the tires do on rocky singletrack? Anyone have sidewall cut issues? I was looking at getting a fatbike, but the tire costs are high so I worry about them getting shredded around here.

MaverickMotoMedia.com

No good

Quote Originally Posted by dankilling View Post
    How do the tires do on rocky singletrack? Anyone have sidewall cut issues? I was looking at getting a fatbike, but the tire costs are high so I worry about them getting shredded around here.
    I would say that some tires are better than others. Hüsker Düs, Reportedly have thin and delicate side walls. If you're worried about the cost of tires, there are options that are both cheaper and more durable. The Vee Mission and Origin8 Devis8ers Both have thick side walls, albeit at the expense of heavier weight. For me the performance on rocky terrain has been excellent, ymmv.