Ride da mOOn Moderator

Idea! Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS

We have tried this before in the Urban/DJ forum...
    ...even asked for a "Trials" forum of our own!

FAIL...

Round 3!!!!!!!! I only do this cause as of lately it seems NEPA has a trials cult growing, it is "micro cult" actually involving mOOn and HCGA. I have an idea for an impromptu event if Scott and Jimmy are viewing.

It might only be a few voices right now, and I'm sure there are others in the rest of Pa and elsewhere that would share. I feel it deserves the chance to grow and we have the opportunities to make it happen.

Yes, there are specific trials bikes and having one is a nice thing, but you don't need one to ride trials at an entry level, even so, leaning a few basic skills will transfer to your everyday mt biking rides! We all have trail features that we need to get over or around without walking, so if this helps ya get over "that rock" it will be a good thing.

From the days of Motorama in Harrisburg, Candytown, and Farrandsville to today there have been lots of famous Trials riders, a few have come from Pa. and surrounding states. Hopefully they respond and get involved.

If your interested speak up here!

This would be your place to post vids, talk, ask, questions. We have all seen Danny McKaskill,
    Danny Macaskill - Industrial Revolutions - YouTube now you have...LOL

So, if ya see a great vid of Tony Bou or J Gregorowicz post it up...

pic is J at the climbing wall
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-jj-i336678259_80226_5.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Let us know what you are thinking about, I usually like going over things.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Vintage Ot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-ot-pi-safe_image.jpg  

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    If the pic doesn't answer it...
    ... I can call Ot and have him show up... LOL

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I understand the picture and concept. I just don't understand the actionable items.

A trials forum might be overkill, maybe not. I'm sure there are things to discuss across the country like bikes and components and "I'm traveling and would like to get together" threads. However, "Does anyone want to grind off some aluminum or steel tonight" might fit in the state forums better. In the end I usually just live with what is here.

If you want to lay out a loop with 5 or 10 stations and get a bunch of riders together for an on-your-honor ride, that's cool and we have talked about that before. Some motion on actually doing that would be great.

If you want to get anyone that looks at the PA, NY, NJ and maybe MD area just talking about bike trials and see what comes of it. That's a cool thing to see were it goes.

If you wnat to get Mark, Bob and anyone else interested together for a ride and play on some PA rocks next weekend like we did this past Sunday, I bet we can make that happen. I bet I'll be doing some of that next Saturday and Sunday already.

If you wnat me to start riding wearing old sweatpant cut-off shorts and sunglasses like in the picture, Well ... I think I have to draw the line there... I only wear sweatpants when sick or recovering from surgery and never in public. Sorry... I have to protect my fashion forward reputation.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

This is why I get the huge compensation for moderating...LOL

...the vid of Bob, Mark, and you riding "5" made quite a stir and gratefully so. I'm just giving back. There just might be a few yonger and older riders who lean a bit to knowing how do this or that, most just ride never finding out they have the skill in them.

The pic is just how far Ot would take stuff back in the day. Trials has always been a words of mouth sport. Back in the Motorama days we had the largest assembly of bicycle trials riders any where on the planet, Yes, Ot was there minus the cool shades...LOL

Might just be a goal to look to that we will prolly never get, but like Topcat says "I would love to "think" I could do that", and besides he needs to buy another bicycle anyways!

Quote Originally Posted by cr500
    If you want to get anyone that looks at the PA, NY, NJ and maybe MD area just talking about bike trials and see what comes of it. That's a cool thing to see were it goes.
    Tell me when you want me to "throw the switch"

If this kid shows up you'll really see the Duke of No Dab, the only person I ever saw ride trials on ice without studs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-copy-tyler-002_900x900.jpg  

mtbr member
    AWWW gee lee 1 credit card is full and i bought 3 bikes so far this year!, but then christmas is comming!!!!!LOL
    GETmatty - YouTube
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

Great night for a little Trialsin...

...someday I'm gonna make that BIG UP, but found a nice sunny place by the abandoned railroad tracks making for a good workout in a small area, just make sure they are truly abandoned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-trialsin-around-10-5-12-003_900x900.jpg  

Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-trialsin-around-10-5-12-005_900x900.jpg  

Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-trialsin-around-10-5-12-006_900x900.jpg  

Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-trialsin-around-10-5-12-007_900x900.jpg  

Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-trialsin-around-10-5-12-008_900x900.jpg  

Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-trialsin-around-10-5-12-013_900x900.jpg  

Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-trialsin-around-10-5-12-014_900x900.jpg  

Last edited by NEPMTBA; 10-05-2012 at 07:02 PM.

mtbr member
    but,but,but thats got gears!!!!
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    All old school stock bikes had gears...
    ...until everyone learned to rear wheel everything!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I think a trials event where you could ride a normal mountain bike would be a blast. I ride d6 moto trials and I know a few of those guys would probabably be interested.

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    Check out observedtrials.net regional forums.
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    We don't need an event to put together some rides. We can get together a bunch of guys and build sections and play anytime we want. As far as an event we can work on putting something together for next year.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

I posted this thread...

...was to gain interest and ride bicycle trials , although you will prolly see a bit of Moto trials as well, all the elements are aligned. Myself and Topcat are d6 alimni, we have the HCGA(cr500) a great group, all ready sharing all type of wheels on dirt as cr500 said, so as we progress we will keep ya posted.

Most of the HCGA MTB rides all ready include a sort of "Scot trials"(meaning we ride, stop at sections along the trail, and play in the rocks) no scoring just fun relaxed trials type enjoyment.

jds2835:
    Yes,I agree, a very good idea as "everyone" all ready has a "mt bike"

JackFromNC:
    Great site!
    Observed Trials Bike Forum
    by the way JackFromNC did you once live here in NEPA?

This Saturday October 13th at noon at HCGA some of the d6 and MAVT guys are having a simple Moto trials, bring your mt bikes or trialsin bikes check it out and explore some of the rocks and wood...

So, from here we will build more sections, and keep in touch as by spring we will have lots to talk about and ride!

Thanks to all...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Very interested in either moto or mtn bike trials!! I received invites from Scott/Lee a few times but always had plans :-( HCGA and Moon looks like fun trials terrain. Can't wait to come visit you guys!! Let's try to plan a Sunday ride!! It's archery season and us archers only get 7 Saturdays so, it's hard to give up a Sat..Keep us posted!!!

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    NEPMTBA, no I'm from NC, but have visited PA to ride a few times. OTN is a very active trials forum and a lot of those guys will travel a long way to ride with a group or if there's a observed trails contest.
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Thanks Jack

We had a guy who used to ride with us back in the 1980's. he moved to NC and we lost touch. Agreed at Motorama back in the 1990's we had guys from Japan and Spain in Harrisburg, Pa = Good Stuff

How's the trialsin scene in NC?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I know I could loose my Man Card being from Pa and saying that I don't hunt, but I ride dirtbikes and figure that I'm safe.

Gruitr1,

Let us know what Sundays work for you and I'm sure we can fit a ride in somewhere. I'll be at the CCC ride on the 21st as long as nothing big comes up. It's not hard to get Jimmy or I to go for a ride.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

I have a soft spot in my heart for abusing "road" bikes, and best use for a "road" bike I have seen yet...

...since Charlie dropped the ball on the trials, we should chase him out of section 1 and use it for our bicycle trials adventure!

Brraappp!
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 10-10-2012 at 07:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm in NJ, not PA, but just started trying trials in August. Bought an old school trials bike with gears...so I can ride it around to spots, and to chase my kids.

I've been on and off bikes and motorcycles my whole life, but at 37, I never even knew bicycle trials existed until a couple years ago. I tape myslef with my phone alot, to try and analyze what I'm doing.

I don't have enough posts to make this a link

youtu.be/4VWyFV5FUyo

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Pkovo View Post
    I've been on and off bikes and motorcycles my whole life, but at 37, I never even knew bicycle trials existed until a couple years ago. I tape myslef with my phone alot, to try and analyze what I'm doing.

I don't have enough posts to make this a link

youtu.be/4VWyFV5FUyo
    Hey great news! Trials is a cool sport not to mention it gets your mt biking skills in order much quicker. Glad to have you on board, and if you go to the "Test forum" test forum - Mtbr Forums You can do some test posts and then you can post vids!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

What a great opportunity I had for a super Saturday 10/27/12...

..as I got to hang out with lots of old friends who compete and run Pennsylvania's District 6 Moto Trials and Mid Atlantic Vintage Trials(MAVT) as well as good friend Jay Gregorowicz and his wife Em.

Arriving at Jay's place we were entertained by his his 2 friends Axle and Bull. Bull has been to Ride da mOOn before, but this is the first time I got to spend time with the new puppy Axle. Quite a fun fella he is!

Next up was a bit of mechanical chat and tour of Jay's bike shop aka basement to reminisce about days gone by and all the fun we had riding out back. The old sections are still there and I was wishing I had my Gas Gas with me ,but none the less Jay has a new toy, a Kabota that will come in handy in the future for the pump track and other ideas we wheeled around.

Speaking of wheeling around, Jay rolled out his Yaabaa trials bike and play commenced. Watching Jay is just like watching moving art as he rides with such fluid motion. After I got a try mostly keeping my wheels on the ground we headed off to...

...meet Travis Fox at his place for a party and a tour of the newest Gas Gas Trials Shop in our area, "Fox's Trials Barn" located in near Loyalsoxville, Pa. Jim and Travis Fox have competed for many years in all forms of Moto Trials and invited lots off great riders to hang out and enjoy each others company. In attendance were Mark Brooks, Jerry Young, Dick Busser, Jason Mankey and other District 6 and National Champions. The tour or pre open house of the new shop was great! Lots of stuff going on from Travis' Race edition Gas Gas GAS GAS USA - Home Of GAS GAS Motorcycles to vintage Moto Trials bikes on display and being built for next season!

Thanks to all for the great time, and also to Jay for the parts, looks like next year Moto Trials season is shaping up early to be a great one, including a bit of bicycles trials also!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-foxs-trials-barn-10-27-12-002_900x900.jpg  

Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-foxs-trials-barn-10-27-12-001_900x900.jpg  

Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-foxs-trials-barn-10-27-12-005_900x900.jpg  

Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-foxs-trials-barn-10-27-12-009_900x900.jpg  

Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-foxs-trials-barn-10-27-12-010_900x900.jpg  

Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-foxs-trials-barn-10-27-12-011_900x900.jpg  

Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-foxs-trials-barn-10-27-12-012_900x900.jpg  

Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-foxs-trials-barn-10-27-12-013_900x900.jpg  

Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-foxs-trials-barn-10-27-12-014_900x900.jpg  

Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-foxs-trials-barn-10-27-12-015_900x900.jpg  

Last edited by NEPMTBA; 10-28-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Leading off with...

...from left to right Mark Brooks, Jim Fox, Emily Gregorowicz and Jay Gregorowicz in the Fox's Trails Barn.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-foxs-trials-barn-10-27-12-016_900x900.jpg  

Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-foxs-trials-barn-10-27-12-017_900x900.jpg  

Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-foxs-trials-barn-10-27-12-018_900x900.jpg  

Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-foxs-trials-barn-10-27-12-019_900x900.jpg  

Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-foxs-trials-barn-10-27-12-020_900x900.jpg  

Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-foxs-trials-barn-10-27-12-021_900x900.jpg  

Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-foxs-trials-barn-10-27-12-022_900x900.jpg  

Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-foxs-trials-barn-10-27-12-023_900x900.jpg  

Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-foxs-trials-barn-10-27-12-024_900x900.jpg  

Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-foxs-trials-barn-10-27-12-025_900x900.jpg  

Last edited by NEPMTBA; 10-28-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Mark Brooks, add this to his resume...

..."Pumpkin Carver"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-foxs-trials-barn-10-27-12-028_900x900.jpg  

Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-foxs-trials-barn-10-27-12-027_900x900.jpg  

Thee Pennsylvania "Trials" thread... NOT TRAILS-foxs-trials-barn-10-27-12-026_900x900.jpg