mtbr member

Thanksgiving Ride?

Howdy Folks,

We will be meeting my family in PA for Thanksgiving and was looking for some ride suggestions. We will be renting a house in the Poconos, probably around Mt Pocono or Blakeslee and was thinking of riding around Jim Thorpe. I am thinking of doing a ride with my wife and one solo or with a guide (any offers?). My wife hasn't ridden since last year before our second baby so she doesn't want anything too challenging but before the kids she was pretty good (could do small drops, rock gardens, and did well in the Great Glen 24 hr race) so she's not a beginner. I on the other hand can take anything you thow at me! LOL! I grew up in PA but didn't really get into mtn biking until I moved to MA 15 years ago. I consider myslef a very good technical rider but I don't have to have it. I want the most fun trail. My parents live in Clearfield so I when we visit them I try and it up the Allegrippis trails. Those are super fun with zero tech. I can get in 20 miles there in under two hours! Around here a 8mph average is considered fast. So fast and flowy is key. We've got tons of super tech but not much fast and flowy stuff here in MA (VT on the other hand....).

So to sum up, a fun but not too tech ride for me and my wife. Under 10 miles with little climbing (no more than 500'). For me fast and flowy but don't mind the tech or climbs. 15-25 miles or 2-3 hours up to 1500' or so of climbing. I haven't been riding too much with a 23 mo old and a 5 week old running around.

Thanks!
    Kevin

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Is the first day of hunting Friday after T-giving day? Better check that first!

Here's a thread in your area:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/pennsylvania/project-poconos-803062.html

mtbr member
    Thanks for the link but he doesn't explain the trails. Sounds like they are mostly dirt roads. I was hoping someone with knowledge of the trails could just give me a couple of suggestions so I don't have to search for hours on the internet and only find some vague maps.

Thanks,
    Kevin

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    A friend of mine and myself and probably my brother will be riding one or two days during Thanksgiving in that area. JT and or Keystone up by Mountain Top....I'll keep you posted if you are interested in joining us. We live outside the area now but we come back to ride often.

mtbr member
    Sounds good. Let me know when you are riding.

After a bit of research I was able to find some maps on Garmin Connect site. What I think I will do is put in a bunch of miles on the rail trail with the wife and my solo ride will be American Standard. Sounds like it is the best trail in the area.
    Last edited by woodsguy; 11-08-2012 at 04:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I thought first day of hunting was the Monday after Thanksgiving? Also, PA's geology is different than MA. MA tends to have large granite slab type rock, PA is much more scattered rock fields and gardens, so 6mph/av is pretty normal, 8mph/av is actually strong, and the fastest guys might top out at 10mph/av. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dankilling View Post
    I thought first day of hunting was the Monday after Thanksgiving? Also, PA's geology is different than MA. MA tends to have large granite slab type rock, PA is much more scattered rock fields and gardens, so 6mph/av is pretty normal, 8mph/av is actually strong, and the fastest guys might top out at 10mph/av. Enjoy!
    Yea, I said a fast ride is 8mph so it is probably simiar. I would say most of our rock is not slabs. Sure there are a lot of big rollers and a few areas are almost all giant boulders (Lynn Woods, Tompson Res) but we have our share of baby heads and rock gardens (photo of my wife on a techy climb). But if what you have is more loose rock then that will surely keep my speed down (I've been biking for over 20 years and still don't like loose rock).

Also, do you guys clear the trails of leaves? Leaves will also keep the speed down. We are lucky around here that most of the trails are kept clear by some dedicated folks. Makes fall riding much more enjoyable and also helps the trail to dry out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Allegrippis or Rothrock Wednesday then Nockamixon on Friday.

mtbr member
    Allegrippis would be great but at 200 mi away from where we are staying I don't think it would be possible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I'll be in the area tomorrow. I want to ride, but....it is in the peak of hunting season. Bear, Small Game, and Turkey are in this week. I think Some sort of deer hunting as well....not sure if it's Bow, or Youngsters....but anyway.

My major concern with riding in the JT area, is one of the reasons those trails got closed in the first place, was because folks from out of the area were riding on Game Lands during hunting season. This is not only dangerous, but ya know it is game lands....Don't get me wrong, I would belly crawl a mile worth of broken glass to ride American Standard any day of the week....but I'm still very interested in riding this week. I am going to research some today, and tonight, for a ride Wednesday.

A few options are, French Creek, Marsh Creek, Blue Marsh, Bear Creek, Moon Lake....I'll do some research though.

As for Thursday, I'm meeting a friend at 8am up in Exeter to ride Keystone. I've heard awesome things about that place.