mtbr member

Switchback Trail, Jim Thorpe, Mauch Chunk Lake

I'm just posting this in case someone else searches for info on riding at Jim Thorpe, like I did last week .

I rode at least part of the switchback trail, and then up to the top of Mt Pisgah. This was a fun trail, not technical at all. Easy gentle uphill and easy fast downhill. Actually this trail would make a great spot for an uphill time trial.

Start off from the parking lot, go across the road on a really easy smooth trail

After a mile you reach an intersection of two trails with a sign that looks like this:

Go uphill on a nice singletrack trail with almost no rocks and no obstacles:

You will run in to a rocky obstacle about 4 miles up the trail, be careful, I could imagine if it was wet and you had muddy shoes this could be slippery, there is a trail below that you can take around this:

You'll reach the top of the hill with a great view:

I turned around here, I was pressed for time but this took about 55 minutes from car to car.

Getting there:
    Use google maps to get directions to:
    Mauch Chunk Lake Park
    625 Lentz Trail
    Jim Thorpe, PA 18229

Trailhead:
    Directly acros Lentz Trail (the road) from the ranger station.

Does anyone know how to turn this in to a loop? That'd be awesome.

-Joe
    Last edited by xjoex; 05-07-2007 at 08:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If you had kept going straight at the overlook you would have gone down the wagon road (very rocky) into the village of Jim Thorpe, from there you would have had to ride back up hill to the campground. There are maps available for this ride.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the information and pics; it's informative and may encourage new people to ride there. I've been considering taking a ride out there sometime soon. Where are the maps available?? How long is the complete loop??

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Where exactly does this start. im familiar with the Jt area.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Musichead13
    Where are the maps available?? How long is the complete loop??

Blue Mountain Sports in downtown JT has a book that you can buy for less than 10 bucks which has ok maps of the trails that are in JT and surrounding area.
    “Driving a car versus riding a bike is on par with watching television rather than living your own life.”

mtbr member
    Hey Dvonmuggs- I am also not very familiar with Jim Thorpe, which is why I went here since I could find the street address. Its about 4 miles outside of downtown Jim Thorpe.

Here is a map to the parking lot at Mauch Chunk lake. It was VERY easy to find.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=625+Le...wloc=addr&om=1

This is more or less what the trail looks like:
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=945385

-Joe

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

type of riding

The Switchback has some scenic views that are spectaular, but it sounded like Muggs was looking for something a bit more challenging (sick to semi-sick). This is a nice ride though to familiarize yourself with the JT area, and there are several trails of a greater technical level that are accessible from the switchback.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Get this book

AFALCONGUIDE

It has that trail and more with maps. I have it and its great. I got mine from REI in Marlton, NJ