mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Swatara SP SAMBA Trails

Just back from a ride this morning at Swatara State Park's SAMBA trails. If you haven't been there, check 'em out. SAMBA (Susquehanna Associated Moutaint Bike Association) has put a lot of work into this place. Try it, you'll like it!!!!!!
    Be Safe, Be Happy, Stay Focused

Stevejfrompa

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I agree! I just had my first Swatara ride a couple weeks ago, and it was a great time. While suitable for beginners (minimal elevation change, rocks, or obstacles), it's fast, flowy and twisty. It makes you want to ride faster to get the most out of the swoopy turns.

There's a lot of Swatara posts lately. Glad to see it's getting some good press. It's a great place to just let loose --OR-- take a youngster, a significant other, or any beginner. It's a great place for a first MTB experience.

Also, I think there's a really easy rail-trail type ride along the Swatara Creek, in case the MTB trail needs to be taken in small doses.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Swatara is awesome if you like flow and can ride at a fast pace. Nothing tech or steep, just lots of fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Was there much storm damage? How's the trail cleanup coming? I'm thinking of making a road trip this weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yes, there was considerable tree falls and tree debris. However, the trails are in great shape thanks to the hard work of others. Thank you for your help and time with keeping the trails clear for everyone..

Rob

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Swatara SP Samba Trails

Me and the gf rode Swatara for the 1st time yesterday. Great trails. They have a nice flow to them. Started at State Park Lane and kept making right turns at trail junctions. Hit everything. Some we even hit twice and rode the opposite of what we did the 1st loop. Looks like the trails were hit hard from the storms but were in great condition. We were able to carry some serious speed thru some parts. Trails were all marked. The fallen leaves didn't cause any traction concerns. Definitely worth the ride from Hazleton. 2 thumbs up to all involved in taking care of Swatara. Will be back again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I went there on Friday and agree with everything written above. Higher speed makes it very entertaining for non-beginners. Just be careful of other trail users. I pulled over once for a trail runner and was careful not to startle an old lady hiker who did not hear me behind her. It was obvious that a lot of work went into clearing trees recently. I only hope its still the same when my 5 and 7 yr/olds are old enough to ride MTBs.

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Any status on these trails right now? I'm ready to shred the gnar?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by scsabol View Post
    Any status on these trails right now? I'm ready to shred the gnar?
    Shred the gnar? Swatara? Not sure you're thinking about the right place ... maybe Graetna or Mt Penn instead ...

;^)

sambabiker.com
    With the rain and spring thaw (the only time Swatara is bad) the trails could use more time to dry out. Tuesday I got a report that A1, A2, and a portion of D were very soft. If it gets cold enough ride early when it is still frozen and it will be good. Once it warms up it should be avoided.

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Shred the gnar? Swatara? Not sure you're thinking about the right place ... maybe Graetna or Mt Penn instead ...

;^)
    It was a hint of exaggeration and sarcasm. But seriously, I love this place. Even on my downhill bike its a blast to carry speed through the flowy trails. The tight corners make it interesting.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by scsabol View Post
    It was a hint of exaggeration and sarcasm. But seriously, I love this place. Even on my downhill bike its a blast to carry speed through the flowy trails. The tight corners make it interesting.
    agreed.

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Any plans for some features here? Bridges, optional drops, rock gardens, berms, small rollers? I already like swatara, but would love it even more.

mtbr member
    How are trail conditions? Would it be rideable tomorrow (Sunday the 26th)?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by veryavgwhtguy View Post
    How are trail conditions? Would it be rideable tomorrow (Sunday the 26th)?
    I would imagine you'll come across some soft spots along the way.

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    The wind today is going to dry out things really well. I'm riding tomorrow.

sambabiker.com
    Features are not permitted. I wish there was rock, but the strange thing is at there is no rock in that area. We had to scrounge for rock for the stream crossings.

The trails might be good in the early am, but as they thaw the condition migh be less then favorable. I am sure there will be some branches and maybe trees down with the wind. Hopefully I can get a report out tomorrow.

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    From most of the trails I have been on last week I have found very few sloppy spots. We never got a real hard freeze.

Are you going to try and organize some group rides at swatara when we warm up a little?

sambabiker.com
    Just got back...we started just before 8 am and the trails we great, but by 10 the trails started to soften up. I am sure by noon the trails will be a sloppy. The main offender is A2, but there were random soft spots a various pats of the trails. My advice; ride it while it is frozen.