Nervous Descender

Swatara singletrack, new trail at Gretna- thanks SAMBA!

All I can say is- wow! You guys and gals at SAMBA have built some of the nicest, best designed trails I've seen anywhere.

Swatara SP, Friday, 4/25/08: Flowing singletrack- textbook IMBA trail design. This is the best flowing singletrack I've ridden in the Northeast. Period! I can't wait to go back! Did all the loops forward, and then rode them all backward. Great in both directions. Impeccable trail construction and maintenance (nice armored stream crossing to "D" loop). Very fun on a rigid bike. The best trail system no one knows about. My only nit- it's too short!

Gretna/Gov. Dick new trail, Sat 4/26/08: Wow- you guys have been busy since I was there last summer and the trail wasn't much more than a deer path. This is the trail that never ends- has it all- flowy stuff, brutally technical stuff, natural rock features, and again, impeccable design throughout (nice bridges!). It was tough on a rigid SS- felt like I was mostly climbing- I rode it from the tower towards trail 13, then looped back up on the horseshoe trail. I didn't have time to do it the other direction. Still, I can't wait to go back. Nice. My only complaint here: looks like my 29er frame cracked at the downtube gusset. Argh!

Nice work SAMBA- the hours you've put in really show. Other clubs should ride these trails for ideas.
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

sambabiker.com
    Thanks for the compliments! SAMBA will be starting a new trail at Swatara soon!

Brian Arnold
    SAMBA President
    www.sambabiker.com

sambabiker.com
    Glad you enjoyed the trails!! Thank you for the GREAT write up !! We are not done with the trail yet - still have some rock work to complete. Swatara is adding more trail this summer also.
    Sorry to hear about your broken bike -I know how much stress that can put on you waiting for the replacement.
    Give us a shout next time you are in the area - we would love to join you on the trails!!

Now, if only we could bring Fruita and Moab closer to PA. But then I guess it wouldn't be a vacation would it.

Matt / Desiree - SAMBA - Gretna Trail Crew

Nervous Descender
    I'll have to look you guys up one of these days- might be back for a few days in early June.

No joke- that Swatara singletrack is super sweet. You guys should be proud.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Thanks for the hardwork guys!

Anyone have maps or a link to them?

Sorry, if I ask too soon as the trails are fairly new, but just wondering.

Thanks

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Last time I was on the new trail at Gretna it still had the inner most sections flagged, but not a defined trail. Has that changed?

Nervous Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody
    Last time I was on the new trail at Gretna it still had the inner most sections flagged, but not a defined trail. Has that changed?
    Yeah- its now a complete trail- very nicely done. I think SAMBA intends to do some more rockwork in a few spots. Probably 100% rideable on a 6" trail bike. Parts are a little rough on rigid SS, especially uphill.

sambabiker.com
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    Thanks for the hardwork guys!

Anyone have maps or a link to them?

Sorry, if I ask too soon as the trails are fairly new, but just wondering.

Thanks

Thanks! Check us out at sambabiker.com for maps. The site is stale now, but the new site will be launched soon!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

start of new trail

where does the new trail at Gov Dick start?

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

the funnest ever

First of all, thanks for the map paintpeelinpbody. Very helpful. I finally rode the new trail at Gov Dick and I must agree with Adirondackblues it was spectacular. I also ran it on a SS rigid but from 13 to the nature center. that is a perfect trail for a SS rigid bike. I was a little tentative being the first time on the trail and missed quite a few technical spots due to lack of momentum and "pre-mature' unclipping. Can't wait to get back on that trail again. The new trail makes the rest of Gov. Dick seem like a rail trail. Some one ought to give you people a medal or award for the work you did. Great job!

my church is the woods

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jkraft
    Some one ought to give you people a medal or award for the work you did. Great job!
    One of the ways to show your gratitude would be to join SAMBA. The $10 membership goes entirely to buying the clubs trail tools, and a few clif bars to feed us on trail building days. membership link

You can also get some good karma by leaving the governor dick land managers positive feedback, and thank they for allowing us continued access to the trails there!

Also, as the membership #'s grow, we have a bigger voice to assert our interest in continuing to build, improve and maintain trails. With the potential of adopting some state game lands trails in the future, it would be really good for all of this areas mtn bikers to close ranks and get unified.

On another note, SAMBA has secured mtb access to Camp Mack near Brickerville by a permit system. If you ride there, stop by Green Mountain Cyclery in Ephrata to get your $25 annual pass, and check out all the new singletrack put in the past few seasons at Mack.

The new trail at Governor Dick is awesome! I've been doing my best to wear it in too Hopefully this trail, along with all the other great work SAMBA has done, is incentive for all riders in this area to join the club and ramp up the trail building even more.

sambabiker.com
    Thanks! Those are great points Moonraker. The membership form for SAMBA has changed. Due to not being able to update our website right now (new one coming soon), just contact me for the new membership form.

Brian Arnold
    SAMBA President
    www.sambabiker.com
    barnold74@comcast.net
    717-277-7560

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I can't wait till I'm done with school and I can finally start riding Gretna and Swatara.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Any SAMBA members have suggestions for tent camping locations near Swatara? A couple of us plan to make the trip from S Jersey - 6/6 thru 6/8. I'm somewhat familiar with the area. Hiked the AT from 443/Moonshine Rd to the shelter/reservoir area a few times.

my church is the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by jdinsj
    Any SAMBA members have suggestions for tent camping locations near Swatara? A couple of us plan to make the trip from S Jersey - 6/6 thru 6/8. I'm somewhat familiar with the area. Hiked the AT from 443/Moonshine Rd to the shelter/reservoir area a few times.
    http://www.lickdalecampground.com/
    is a few miles from the state park, some nice tent sites right along the Swatara creek. And you can ride right from the campground up the rail-trail a few miles up to the singletrack.

there is also http://www.twingroveparkcampground.com/
    which looks nice, I've never camped there though, and you can also hop on the rail-trail and get to the trails.