mtbr member
    Mar 2013

New question here. Swatara .. 1hr drive.. Worth it?

Hey guys clyde here getting back into riding after many years. Picked up a new 29er hard tail about a month ago. I live in York county and have been riding Lake Redman (really like it) and Rocky Ridge (good, but very rocky...duh). Still getting into shape so long climbs are still tuff (some walking) but I'm good for 10-15 miles overall. From what I have been reading Swatara seems like a good time. So is it worth making the hour drive? Also anyone doing any group rides out there for us that have no clue where we are going. And does anyone know the GPS address that will get me there. Thanks in advance for your time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I drove an hour to ride it last weekend, yes it is worth it.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    OP, plug this into Google Maps and it'll get you there:

Swatara State Park @40.4875,-76.54497

(That coord is also known was N 40.4875 W 76.54497 in case you didn't know)

It's not a hard to follow trail system, basically connected loops. To ride *almost* everything you just make the same turn at each intersection (e.g. always turn left, or always turn right) and you'll hit 95% of the trail and end up back where you started. you'll only leave out a couple short connectors.

SAMBA ( Swatara News ) has maps on their web site.

Thanks to SAMBA for the maintenance of the trails!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Definitely worth the ride. We make several trips down there a year from Hazleton. There are only 2 climbs but they are gradual. And there is nothing wrong if you have to walk them. As Bear stated just either make all rights at each intersection or all lefts. Can't get lost. We usually start out with rights and then on the 2nd time around we make lefts. This way the 2 climbs you did at the start are now 2 fun downhills.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

As far as Rocky Ridge no comparison, if ya like smooth stuff Swatara is cool, you won't find any techy challenging trails. If your into 10 to 15 miles you will have to ride it both ways to get anything out of it worthy of length.

Also It's right off the rail trail if you so inclined to sight see and take in the views for more miles of fun.

So in review, yes go ride it you'll be happy when your done!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I was up there about 2 seasons ago and it's great riding. Everything can be ridden in about 2-3 hours. Smooth, flowy and fast!!
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks to everyone for the feed back. I'm gonna try to make the trip out there this weekend. Looking forward to smooth single track for a change, also will be nice to see what my Stache 7 can do with some speed behind it.

mtbr member
    Rode there this morning and conditions were awesome! Did all rights and made sure to hit the 1st spur (A-1?) again but clockwise this time to end loop1. 10+ miles of super fast, flowy goodness. Man, what a rippin' layout! Got suckered to ride another loop, but all lefts this time. After grabbing more liquids and ingesting whatever energy enhancing go fast goodies I could find stashed away in my pack & vehicle, we headed out for lap2. Wasn't really keen on making that 1st left and start by climbing, but that soon passesd and the miles of smiles continued. Legs started whining a bit but mustered enough to finish the last couple of miles with a spirited motivation. That place never gets old...absolutely love to hit it up every now and then to escape the normal "all-mountain" places alot of us ride. Make it a PA bucket list destination if ya haven't been to it. Thanks again to all those who keep it in that great condition.
    Live to ride, ride to live

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Swatara .. 1hr drive.. Worth it?

We made the trip out and rode swatara this morning also (may have passed you at some point). Great trail system, very fun and worth the hour drive. Only 8 miles for me ( Clyde still getting back into shape). Also thanks to the guys who keep up on this trail system. I really enjoyed the flow and speed you can carry through the downhills. Although the new log stack ( I think on the top of c needs some work). I have a 2x10 set up and chain ring still took a nice hit. All in all it is a nice step away from the more technical trials I have been riding. Will be back up again soon to ride clockwise. Thanks again for everyone's feed back.

mtbr member
    glad ya got out there! it really is awesome, cant wait to hit it with my new fork. but 2x10 and no bashguard?! dont be a weight weenie! =D

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Weight weenie ..... I'm 6'4 290 lbs and ride a 21 Stache 7. Little far from a weight weenie kinda guy... lol. Now noob just getting back into riding .... That would be correct. Never though about a bash guard. Didn't think I would need it. But would have no problem adding a little weight to my bike to save some hits. But good point .... Any suggestion for 2x10 setup. I'm just not familiar with them at all.

mtbr member
    woot, im 6'4 249#! ima ridin a 2012 marlin with a brand new recon gold fork, goddamn what its like to drop 2lbs off the front. i like the hardtail and im trying to stick with 3 rings, for now. but that sweet stache should have mounts for a chainguide/bash, and lucky you for having a nice rig for getting back into it!

AKA jbev88
    I'll be doing my first Swatara ride in about a month ... little bit of a longer ride for myself to get out there ... but, from what I've heard, will be absolutely worth it!!!

mtbr member
    Rocky Ridge is not a bad ride. I managed a 16 mile ride there just yesterday. Granted I repeated a few trails, but in different directions. I personally like the technical, but I can understand wanting to avoid that till you get back into shape. I need to ride Redman more and get used to the trails there again. Been a long time since I really spent some hours down there. I was living in SLC, UT for 11 yrs and even the trail system at Rocky Ridge changed drastically. Swatara sounds fun though, I may need to check that out sometime as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

I took my 10 year old son there for his first "real" mountain bike adventure. The singletrack was immaculate as always. There was just enough logs to test his ability and he went away with a great confidence boosting experience that will be remembered for a long time to come. Thanks to all the people that maintain these trails, because of their effort the mtb community has gained another young member. The 45 minute drive was worth it for sure.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    ^ Excellent +1

sambabiker.com
    Thanks! All the people here at SAMBA are happy to hear how much you enjoy the trails we created and maintain. See you out on the trails.

Brian. SAMBA President

Swatara .. 1hr drive.. Worth it?-image.jpg

AKA jbev88
    Be down for my first ride in a few weeks!!!!!!!!!!! Beyond stoked.