Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Trek fuel ex8
    Sep 2007

Swarthmore college trails

Im looking for anyone who is willing to show me the trails at swarthmore college and smedly park. I've ridden here a few times. But I'm looking to find the best loop that I can make out of the two

Trek fuel ex8
    Sep 2007
    Really guys? Nothing?

Trek fuel ex8
    Sep 2007

Maybe wissahickon then?

Ok. How about wissahickon?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    For the Smedley/Swarthmore trails, I don't think anyone you'd classify as regular riders there frequent this site.

For Wissahickon, try the Meetup.com groups for the Philly area, plus the PMBA website. There are scheduled rides there every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night. Plus the odd assortment of Saturday daylight rides.

mtbr member
    I go there twice a week, and getting ready to head over now.
    I live in Brookhaven and ride the distance.
    I should be at the trail head behind the sports center around 10:30
    I stick to the main trail for the most part ( Along the creek). I do the loop thru smedley and ride the corkscrew then return back to swarthmore.

Trek fuel ex8
    Sep 2007
    Won't be able to today. What do you mean by the main trail. Do you ride the technical stuff in behind the college where the railroad ties are.

mtbr member

Swarthmore College

I'm not certain how many trails there are behind the college to be honest it's not as big as you might think.
    See below and attached. This is what I rode today.
    This is from my house in Brookhaven , thru chester park, wallingford leiper trailer, smedley park, thru the entire park into media, turned, around and rode back thru the park, along the creek thru swarthmore college, turned back around, went back to smedley, and then back thru the college, all using different trailers ( for the most part).
    I wanted you to know that I just completed the following workout:

Workout: Mountain Bike
    Date: Dec 2, 2012
    Distance: 18.63 mi
    Duration: 2:02:37

To view 'Biked 18.63 mi on 12/2/12', follow the link below:
    Biked 18.63 mi on 12/2/12 on 2012-12-02 | cycling Training Log Entry | MapMyRide

You can also view my profile and add me as a Friend here:
    davidrode's Private Profile

I sent this from MapMyRide+, available in the iTunes app store!

Nobody I know is too much into riding, and the few that are can't keep up...

Always open to riding. .I ride year round.. Crossing Crum Creek in the cold is avoidable, there is a trail around the creek.

Trek fuel ex8
    Sep 2007
    looks like a nice ride. looks like alot of the ride is on the road. is that right. what percent of that ride would you say is single track or at least in the woods on dirt.

mtbr member
    Of the 18 miles I rode today..
    probably at least 5 or 6.
    From my house to the back of smedley via blue route trail is a
    pprox 7 miles.. I can make it there is 26 minuets..

The blue route leiper trail is paved and at least a mile or 2

Trek fuel ex8
    Sep 2007
    Is there any single track on that ride.I only have dirt tires and can't stand riding on pavement with them. I don't mind a little to get to the trail head. Have you ridden the trails at wissahickon( not forbidden drive)

mtbr member
    The entire ride from Swarthmore College to Smedley is 100 % in the dirt.
    there is only 1 street you cross, and that's it...
    Wisahickon.. No,....
    Heading down to White Clay this weekend in DE.. Never been there before.. Heard there is a ton of technical to ride..

Trek fuel ex8
    Sep 2007
    That's the section that I like to ride .

Trek fuel ex8
    Sep 2007
    But I can never make a good consistent loop in smedley without getting lost & back tracking - or end up riding across the baseball fields - I'd be up for a ride after work one day this week or possibly Saturday if I don't have work, I'm good for about an hour or an hour and a half - any longer than that and my wife & kids are missing me too much!

Trek fuel ex8
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by davidrode View Post
    The entire ride from Swarthmore College to Smedley is 100 % in the dirt.
    there is only 1 street you cross, and that's it...
    Wisahickon.. No,....
    Heading down to White Clay this weekend in DE.. Never been there before.. Heard there is a ton of technical to ride..
    Are you going to white clay with someone who has been there before or are you just gonna explore on your own.

chaindriven
    Apr 2010

Night ride

I plan to try night riding Tuesday around 6 PM on the trails off of Reed Road in Springfield. Let me know if you want to join me.

Trek fuel ex8
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemcg View Post
    I plan to try night riding Tuesday around 6 PM on the trails off of Reed Road in Springfield. Let me know if you want to join me.
    Are they the don guanella trails across from the home depot. If so. I've been there once. Nice trails. Some creek crossings and steep short climbs. I'm not rigged for night ridding yet. I wanna learn these trails during the day first. Do you ride on the weekends.

chaindriven
    Apr 2010

DG trails

Yes-usually at Brandywine but sometimes at Smedley and Don G if I am pressed for time.

mtbr member
    They have a skills section but the rest is hardly technical. Miles of flowy trails.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    to the person looking for a wissahickon guide:

you really don't need one.

there is one main bike legal trail that basically runs the length of the park on both sides of the creek. go explore! if you can't figure how to not get lost in the wiss; mountainbiking probably isn't for you...

if you want a wiss trail map PM me and i can email you one i made a few years back but really it is not necessary...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I never knew there were trails at Swarthmore. I live in Philly and I'm a 20-minute train ride from the college (actually worked there a couple summers), would it be worth it for me to go out there and check them out?

The Wissahickon is great. One important thing to know is that the closer to the city you get, the more technical the trails are. Further out there's more flowy stuff; down by the city there's a lot more big jumps and other tricky things. All fantastic trails though. And as was said, a map is not really needed. But I ride there from time to time with another guy (both on Surly Trolls), if you're looking for somebody to ride with feel free to send me a PM

mtbr member
    On my own for now.

mtbr member
    Damn
    Sat around doing nothing tonight.
    Wish I would have read this thread earlier..
    I would have joined.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up. I might just go for the heck of it..

Trek fuel ex8
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jbphilly View Post
    I never knew there were trails at Swarthmore. I live in Philly and I'm a 20-minute train ride from the college (actually worked there a couple summers), would it be worth it for me to go out there and check them out?

The Wissahickon is great. One important thing to know is that the closer to the city you get, the more technical the trails are. Further out there's more flowy stuff; down by the city there's a lot more big jumps and other tricky things. All fantastic trails though. And as was said, a map is not really needed. But I ride there from time to time with another guy (both on Surly Trolls), if you're looking for somebody to ride with feel free to send me a PM
    I would definitely go for a ride at Wiss. And yes in my opinion swarth more trails are very good and technical.not very long though. You can continue on into smedly park which is longer and more flowey but that's where I get a little lost and don't feel like I'm doing the best loop.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I'm not certain how many trails there are behind the college to be honest it's not as big as you might think.
    See below and attached. This is what I rode today.
    This is from my house in Brookhaven , thru chester park, wallingford leiper trailer, smedley park, thru the entire park into media, turned, around and rode back thru the park, along the creek thru swarthmore college, turned back around, went back to smedley, and then back thru the college, all using different trailers ( for the most part).
    I wanted you to know that I just completed the following workout:

Workout: Mountain Bike
    Date: Dec 2, 2012
    Distance: 18.63 mi
    Duration: 2:02:37

To view 'Biked 18.63 mi on 12/2/12', follow the link below:
    Biked 18.63 mi on 12/2/12 on 2012-12-02 | cycling Training Log Entry | MapMyRide

You can also view my profile and add me as a Friend here:
    davidrode's Private Profile

I sent this from MapMyRide+, available in the iTunes app store!

Nobody I know is too much into riding, and the few that are can't keep up...

Always open to riding. .I ride year round.. Crossing Crum Creek in the cold is avoidable, there is a trail around the creek.
    Thanks for the map. Helped me figure out how to connect smedley and the swarthmore trails.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast