mtbr member

Swa, Swa, Swatara !!!!!

Got a chance to ride Swatara today, beautiful weather and conditions! ANother fall classic, seems like every weekend in September and now October has been perfect for riding. This was my second time to Swatara the South Central PA Gem that was built and maintained by the folks at SAMBA. We had a group of 5 from Mountain TOp today....fellow MTBR'ers : KuhlCat, SantaCruz60, StevejfromPA, Banks, and myself. We took the mini van.....3 on the back and 2 inside. After riding here on the BASH weekend I knew the crew back home would appreciate some really nice flowy trails. We ran into maybe 10 other riders. We plan to be back as winter sets in...figuring it may be a bit warmer here and the riding season will last a bit more. Here are a few pics and a short Vid:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swa, Swa, Swatara !!!!!-swatara-001_800x450.jpg  

Swa, Swa, Swatara !!!!!-swatara-004_800x450.jpg  

Swa, Swa, Swatara !!!!!-swatara-005_800x450.jpg  

Swa, Swa, Swatara !!!!!-swatara-011_800x450.jpg  

Swa, Swa, Swatara !!!!!-swatara-019_800x450.jpg  

There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member

Swatara

Here are a few more pics from the day. btw....there is a nice Dairy Queen close by after the ride for a recovery drink or eat....Swatara is fairly close for us in Mtn Top....about 60 miles south on I-81...Pine Grove exit....head west 6.7 miles to the State Park Rd.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swa, Swa, Swatara !!!!!-swatara-013_800x450.jpg  

Swa, Swa, Swatara !!!!!-swatara-023_800x450.jpg  

Swa, Swa, Swatara !!!!!-swatara-016_800x450.jpg  

Swa, Swa, Swatara !!!!!-swatara-020_800x450.jpg  

Swa, Swa, Swatara !!!!!-swatara-017_800x450.jpg  

GoCyco
    Nov 2005

Is 81 south still one lane?

Please tell me it's back to 2 lanes and the ramp at 80 is open again.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    That would have been fun boys, but with my favorite in-laws visiting I didn't have that much time to take for a ride. Gotta hook up with you again Jeff!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I like the log-over pics! Nice-

mtbr member
    Definitely on my list of places to hit. Thanks for the pics!

Gravity's Gone
    Gonna have to chack that out.

mtbr member
    nice pics and report! we rode it earlier that morning and had a blast! can you explain the kingdom trails reference in the video title though - never been, just curious, thanks
    without hops the world stops

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by mbike
    nice pics and report! we rode it earlier that morning and had a blast! can you explain the kingdom trails reference in the video title though - never been, just curious, thanks
    I haven't successfully ridden at Kingdom yet (my bike frame broke on the 1st day of riding there this past Aug) and I've never been to Swatara (but I hear it's nice) but I took Jeff's comment to mean that the trails are well done and buff - less rocky than "normal" PA trails.

Jeff?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    We were out there around 11, didn't run into you guys but there were ton's of cars in the lot. I was really surprised that we only ran into 2 groups on the trails.

Man, it sure was about a perfect day for riding. These trails sure have spoiled me due to the great layout and flowiness of the trails. Thumbs up to SAMBA!

mtbr member

I 81 and Kingdom Trails

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    I haven't successfully ridden at Kingdom yet (my bike frame broke on the 1st day of riding there this past Aug) and I've never been to Swatara (but I hear it's nice) but I took Jeff's comment to mean that the trails are well done and buff - less rocky than "normal" PA trails.

Jeff?
    Yes...reminds me of KT, smooth flowy buff single track.....of course KT is much larger and has some amazing scenery...but the trails at Swatara are really well thought out and executed....nice stuff

Unfortunately 81 is still not complete headed southbound...but quite a bit has been finished....traffic not bad on Sat or Sundays....and the ride home(northbound) is no problem....

mtbr member

Headed to Swatara...

...tomorrow...Saturday 5/14/11......plan to be there at noon....hunting for turkey up till noon but riding after that should be fine......anyone wanna join in ...see you there....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    That place is really fun to ride at! I went there once last fall and had a blast on my 29er. I usually ride all rocks and technical stuff but its fun because of how smooth and twisty the singletrack can be at times.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

Thinking about checking out Swatara this weekend. Looks like THIS is the official trail map? Any recommendations on the best way to ride it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I keep making right turns at the intersections that makes for a 9.5 mile loop then head back to the trail head get a snack then head back making all lefts. I would say if you ride counterclock wise there might be more climbing vs clockwise others might not agree. The place is a blast to ride

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jonz View Post
    Thinking about checking out Swatara this weekend. Looks like THIS is the official trail map? Any recommendations on the best way to ride it?

Just start at the main parking lot and ride every trail. I have ridden all trails in about 2hours so its not that big. If I remember correct, just keep making right turns on most of the trails and they all loop up.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member

Ditto....

Quote Originally Posted by bankofdad View Post
    I keep making right turns at the intersections that makes for a 9.5 mile loop then head back to the trail head get a snack then head back making all lefts. I would say if you ride counterclock wise there might be more climbing vs clockwise others might not agree. The place is a blast to ride

Exactly how I have done it now 3 trips....although you could start with all lefts first....either way you should be good.....not sure if the severe storms that went through thursday evening caused any damage though....it looked to have been right in the path of the storms....

mtbr member

Current conditions??

Any info on current conditions?? Did the severe storms that rolled thru the last few days mess it up? Lookin at maybe hittin it up tomorrow morning (Sunday). Anyone?
    Thanks!

BW

Had a blast at Swatara this morning. It's SO fast and flowy, completely different than anything I usually ride and absolutely PERFECT on a single speed. Rode everything; there are no fresh blow downs although the wet spring has made the trails a little muddy.

mtbr member

Swatara Sunday 5/29

Didn't here from anyone regarding the conditions so made the trip out with mbike hopin the conditions would be ok. Did the rocks at Bear Creek Saturday and was lookin forward to the rippin & swoopy trails today. Last time there the trails were dry and so fast and flowy, made all lefts from the parking lot and had an absolute blast. This morning it rained a bit on the way, got there and a bunch of standing water around parking lot. Trails were moist but kinda tacky, a good amount of soft/muddy patches here and there, a bunch of low hanging foilage, and one main blow down that had to be cimbed over with bike. This time did all rights from the lot. The woods were quite rain forest like with little air and high humidity. Overall did about 9.5 miles and had an great ride, although had to be a tad more cautious with some slippy conditions mixed in with the high speed. A bunch of riders pulling in as we left. Awesome place, will be back again next month when it be a bit drier. Kudos again out to all those responsible for the creation and maintenance of those trails!

BW

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Where is this located, I live in Camp Hill. Is it off of 283.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    SAMBA has info. ;^)

mtbr member

Did anyone.....

....notice the amount of Honeysuckle growing at Swatara??...a few weeks ago it was thick as ever on the hilltops.....and in full bloom....... it was like riding aromatherapy!!!!