mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Sunday hunting input

I know that this topic has come up here several times in the past, but if you'd like to provide some feedback on the topic, follow this link:
    http://www.pahouse.com/staback/Sunday-Hunting.asp
    There are currently three bills in committee trying to change the rules about hunting on Sunday. Rep Stabeck is now the chair of the Game and Fisheries Committee and he has made it a priority to allow hunting on Sundays. The bill he is currently championing would transfer the authority to allow hunting on Sundays from the legislature to the PGC. The PGC as most of us are painfully aware is not an elected body that is answerable to public input but rather an appointed group that is not subject to legislative oversight.
    The link above allows you to provide comments directly to Rep Stabeck as to how you feel about Sunday hunting and the PGC. Please be respectful in your comments, but try to encourage others to respond. Realize that a change to the PGC having decision making power over Sunday hunting could potentially lead to no hunting-free days in Pennsylvania from the end of September until mid-May. This is not just an issue effecting Deer season, but rather could be the end run around any public input for future changes.
    As an aside, if you think I am a wack job for posting this, you can follow the link as well and submit your pro-sunday hunting comments. Thats the beautiful part of the public input process. Too bad this bill is trying to remove that.
    Frank Maguire
    IMBA Central PA Rep

Yes
    Apr 2007
    Sunday hunting would be great for those who only get to hunt on weekends.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Sunday hunting would make it difficult for non-hunters who only get to enjoy nature on weekends.

mtbr member

Please help keep us safe one day a week!

As someone who lives adjacent to hunting lands I strongly support the continued Sunday ban on hunting. It only seems fair to have one day a week that I can take my dogs for a walk behind our house without worrying about being shot, or go for a ride. 6 days out of 7 set aside for hunting seems like a pretty good deal to me. Don't let this go through just because hunters are more vocal then bikers and hikers, tell them how you feel and spread this around. I would recommend passing your comments on to your local rep as well, you can find them here: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/find.cfm Thanks!
    Jim Thorpe Trail Coalition
    http://jttrails.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'd support Sunday hunting when hunting is limited to SGLs ONLY - no state or county parks, no private lands. The hunters want "their" land 7 days/week, then we should demand ours too.

Yes
    Apr 2007
    Maybe they could have certain Sundays through out the season in which they can hunt. Maybe only during archery since that is safer then rifle season.

mtbr member
    Bump.

This is starting to feel like the SGL ban all over again. Very few people seem to be interested in this issue. Unless you speak up now then you really can't ***** later.

mtbr member
    I do a lot of hunting in the winter and I also like to bike. As far as Sunday hunting is concerned I really don't want it because I would never get anything else done on the weekend, but I know a lot of hunters that are hoping Sunday hunting becomes a reality. I hate to say it but Sunday hunting will eventually be approved just because a lot of money is spent on the sport.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I hate to get into arguments in forums, but here is a link for the Outdoor Industry Association's market research on participation and economics of various activities:
    http://www.outdoorindustry.org/image...les/SOI.pdf?29
    Even in PA, participation in bicycles far out paces hunting. Hunting is far more established though, so its a case of squeaky wheel gets the grease. Turn that into your own bicycle related analogy if you want, but if as a community mountain bikers put forth the effort, there would be a lot that could be accomplished.
    Also, the sunday hunting bills are being opposed by a broad spectrum of Pennsylvanians. Everyone from PA Equine Council to PA Farm Bureau to the Christmas Tree Growers Association have raised objections to it. There is basicly one very vocal hunting organization that is pushing for this.

mtbr member

Yes! Bikes=$ 365 days a year, hunting=$ 14 days a year

In Jim Thorpe hunting is barely noticeable in regards to tourist income, the main hunting season is 2 weeks long and most hunters are not staying at B&B's, shopping, going of for dinner etc. Bike riders, paddlers, hikers, and other non-hunting outdoor users contribute to the economy 365 days a year. It just seems that the hunting groups are more organized and vocal. Every year in Pa. hunting participation goes down and other outdoor activities goes up. So, I think you could also say that it is just a matter of time before SGL's are open to more non-hunting activities.

Cyclovore

Stats

Does anyone have any stats that show hunting on Sundays increases injuries or deaths during the season? It seems to me that it is unlikley to have any affect at all.
    Bliss is thumping the prophet through the woods, as "Painkiller " wails through your phones. Ride a metal monster.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kline
    Does anyone have any stats that show hunting on Sundays increases injuries or deaths during the season? It seems to me that it is unlikley to have any affect at all.
    Do you want to be the first statistic? Sure, thats fear talking but even if there is little impact on injury or death rates, do you want to increase the chances of an altercation because one sportsman is disrupting another sportsmans' activities? That one can go both ways- a hunter could ruin a MTB ride just as much as a MTB ride could ruin a hunters chance at bagging game. Giving a day where we cant step on one another I feel is not only a good idea, but almost necessary so folks have the best chance at enjoying their sport without disruption. I stay out of the woods during hunting days as much for my own feeling of safety as I do out of respect for hunters to have an opportunity to hunt without me scaring off their target.

Cyclovore

True

Nobody wants to be a statistic. Perhaps the main reason I will not purchase a road bike. As a responsible hunter, I've delt with ATV's and angy landowners and on occasion Mountain bikers. I understand your concern and this debate is very touchy. As a hunter I would love to be able to hunt deer on Sundays during the regular firearms season. As a Mountain Biker, that fear you speak of does exist in the back of my mind. However that fear is not as strong as the one that creeps into my brain, when I hit the pavement between trails. The point is I don't pay to ride. I do pay to hunt. I should be allowed to have 2 extra days a year to harvest that tasty vension. On the up side for you it will never pass, because of the agriculture sector. Farmers have opposed this for years. And being the keepers of the most huntable land in the state. It will never pass. Just for sh*ts and giggles, I do know more cyclists injured by automobiles than by hunters. The tally 4 to none.
    Bliss is thumping the prophet through the woods, as "Painkiller " wails through your phones. Ride a metal monster.

Cyclovore

I don't think so

Quote Originally Posted by toastedsquidmelt
    Maybe they could have certain Sundays through out the season in which they can hunt. Maybe only during archery since that is safer then rifle season.
    On average Archery and Spring gobbler have more injuries and deaths than rifle season.

mtbr member
    This seems to be an issue where the mtn. bikers want everyday to be theirs. Give the hunters a couple of days. Being one who hunts and bikes I can attest to the dumb people out there with guns and why I wont ride during that time, but on the other hand chill out for a couple of weeks do some other type of activity then get back to it when the season is over. Or go to a place where there is no hunting.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    if it were just a matter of a couple sundays during rifle deer season, that would be one thing, not that im advocating that, but its not, it would mean that you have no days from Sept to Feb bascially that are not free of some kind of hunting

mtbr member
    The only time you would have to worry about getting shot is during muzzleloader which is only a couple of weeks and rifle which again is only a couple of weeks. The other times people are shooting pheasants, quails and rats with bushy tails. A .22 caliber rifle being shot up a tree or a shotgun being shot in the air is not going to harm you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I e-mailed 2 of our legislators. I encourage everyone else to do the same. Keep the momentum going.

6 days per week is already 85% of the calendar during hunting season. This is overkill (pun intended). 100% would be a travesty. But it's up to you, folks. If you haven't written your legislators yet, you absolutely positively need to. Just tell them what you think, and why (maturely and respectfully, of course). It's that easy.

Our government is of the people, by the people, and for the people, or at least it was intended that way. Let's not let special interests take it away. And I'm not suggesting bikers take it away either. We should all advocate fairness, and sharing of our common resources, as opposed to the shameless power grab proposed by the hunting community.

So get off your butts and write your legislators! You can even do it while sitting on your butts!