mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Summer Mountain Biking Vacation

Hello Everybody!

My girlfriend and I are planning a biking trip or two for the summer and I thought that you all might have some good ideas. I was thinking about going out to the Youghiogheny river at Ohiopyle. I have been out there many times kayaking and have seen lots of bikers, but never did any biking there myself. Some of what I've read mentions intense downhills and climbs. We aren't up for that just yet and would like some intermediate level trails that aren't going to be too stressful for the lady and I. The stuff I read did also mention easier trails. Does anybody have any recommendations for trails in this or other areas that would be worth the trip? We live near Reading PA and would be willing to travel a few hours (4ish) for a weekend trip. It would be cool to find some trails near a nice town that has a good selection of microbrews!

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Another suggestion if you want some non technical trails that are allot of fun (very aerobic workout) check out the Allegrippis trials around Raystown Sussquahannock campground (Google it). It is probably about 3 hours or less from you. There are 33 miles of well groomed and scenic trails I can't imagine you and your girlfriend wouldn't enjoy!

My wife and I were just over there again on Memorial Day and I think it would be so much fun for what you are looking for. You could check with Rothrock outfitters (814-643-7226) in Huntingdon about the local brew pubs. Fat Freddie's BBQ is real close, along with the lake and just a beautiful area!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

Great area, but not O-hi-pie itself you see a lot of bikes because of the rail trail, the state park has semi singletrack trails but not a lot, or worth more than an half hour of riding.

I have done the place myself many times, and I would "not" stay at Ohiopyle, you camp up on a big hill and have to go up and down it to access anything in town, sucks on a bike!

Closest fun around Ohiopyle, if you do stay there is at Quebec Run, and you can actually ride there on mostly dirt roads from O-hi-pie if you do a little research if your interested in that or drive there to ride.
    Quebec Run Trail System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You might hear brag of Sugarloaf trail, the 4 mile downhill at Ohiopyle, ya it's fun. Pedaling to the top on the pave isn't, make friends with locals who will shuttle you by car.
    Sugarloaf (Ohiopyle State Park) Pennsylvania Trail Reviews

Better choice, go to Big Bear Lake in West Virginia. This is the place where they have held the 24 hour races and the trails are super, plus you can ride all of them right out of your campsite.
    Big Bear Lake > Welcome

Big Bear Lake West Virginia Trail Reviews

Google or search here on mtbr.com for "Big Bear Lake" "Plantation Trail" "Blackwater Falls State Park" and "Camp 70" "Canaan Mt" "Moon Rocks"...

...the Camp 70 Preserve with the Moon rocks is a really cool place to ride, Plantation trail is long and rough, so beware of that.

Here's the list of ride places:
    1 Moraine State Park, PA
    2 Bavington (aka Hillman State Park), PA
    3 Roaring Run Watershed (Apollo), PA
    4 North Park (Allegheny County Park), PA
    5 Hartwood Acres (Allegheny County Park), PA
    6 Laurel Highlands, PA
    7 Big Bear Lake Campground, WV
    8 Raystown Lake (Allegrippis Trails), PA
    9 Mohican State Park/State Forest, OH
    10 Seven Springs Mountain Resort, PA
    11 Rothrock State Park, PA
    12 Frick Park (Pittsburgh City Park), PA
    13 Quebec Run Wild Area, PA
    14 South Park (Allegheny County Park), PA
    15 Cooper's Rock State Park, WV
    16 Blue Knob State Park, PA
    17 Kennerdell Tract (Clear Creek State Forest), PA
    18 Deer Lakes Park (Allegheny County Park), PA
    19 Brady's Run County Park, PA
    20 Boyce Park (Allegheny County Park), PA

Call Blackwater Bikes and speak to Roger, he can hook you up with epic riding.

Blackwater Bikes - Davis, WV
    Pennsylvania Dirt
    canaan mountain trails
    cvi and camp70 trails
    Ride spots in Western PA
    Ohiopyle in August any Ohio stuff close?

Enjoy
    I might see ya there...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Summer Mountain Biking Vacation-plantation-trail-cannan-west-virginia-plantmap.jpg  

AKA jbev88
    Very cool. This is something I've wanted to do .. if even for just a weekend... am working on it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I second Big Bear Lake. Two years ago, I wanted to take my family camping and wanted some mountain biking nearby. We camped at Big Bear Lake and had trails within 20 yards of our tent. My son was 14 at the time and rode those trails pretty well. There are some technical sections, but not crazy. Big Bear Lake was kind of an odd campground. We are used to camping in state and national parks. The majority of Big Bear Lake is a timeshare for camping. Most of the campers are permanently set and the inhabitants drive golf carts everywhere. The section for non-members was a little more like the camping we were used to . They also have a really nice waterpark at the campground. We did go to Ohiopyle for the day just to hike around. You gotta go there and try the rock slides - my kids still talk about it. Overall, a great trip.

Rolling on 650b
    Blackwater falls campground is very nice, and only minutes away from Davis. There are a slew of trails within a few minutes drive from the campground, and some that start in the park. In addition, good, cheap food in Davis and Thomas, and live music at two venues (Purple Fiddle and Mountain state brewery). If you decide you are to tired to pedal, Timberline resort just down the road in Canaan valley has chairlift serviced runs. Its a great place to vacation. I'm headed back down there in two weeks myself.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Clipless,

What was the name of the other ridge over a spell from Davis? I can't remember from last time I rode there. I was way out on Plantation trail and returned on the service road, but could see the ridge off in the distance. Short on time I didn't get to ride it.

Rolling on 650b
    Lee,
    The IMBA epic I was trying to remember the name of is 'North Fork mountain trail'. It's down by Seneca rocks, so that's not what you were seeing from Plantation. There's riding all around Plantation, so I'm not sure what you were seeing- the Camp 70 stuff maybe? This year we're planning on riding Lead Mine and Plantation. Thinking about doing a Plantation, Lindy, Loop road, Allegheny loop. Last year we headed down to Spruce Knob and did the climb up, then out Huckleberry to Judy springs and back Seneca creek. One of my favorite rides anywhere.

Anyhow, North Fork mountain looks awesome; but we'll only have one car and its way long to do without a shuttle.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    That's the name, I don't know what I was looking at, gotta check the pics, not Camp 70 though, wrong direction.

Oh well
    enjoy

Rolling on 650b
    Treill,
    Blackwater bikes in Davis can hook you up with trail info. There are trails ranging from rail trail to serious hardcore and everything in between right in that area. I forgot to mention, there is a second microbrewery there as well. Hope you have a good vacation wherever you go!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thank you all for the information! These places sound good and I will definitely be visiting them in the future.

Does anybody know of any good trails in the Finger Lakes region of NY, around Lake Seneca?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipless in PA View Post
    Anyhow, North Fork mountain looks awesome; but we'll only have one car and its way long to do without a shuttle.
    I've ridden the NFMT - definitely not for those that don't like climbing. Great ride, great views. I had my wife to shuttle me and my buddy out to the South end of the trail and rode from there.

For anyone doing the NFMT, my wife and I highly recommend the North Fork Mountain Inn (North Fork Mountain Inn Bed & Breakfast - Smoke Hole, West Virginia). Great people, great food, and a lovely place to stay. They also have a nice-sized 1 bedroom cabin that is pet friendly. There's even a spur off the NFMT towards the north end that leads right to the Inn, so you really only need the shuttle one way. If you want to do an out and back, you could definitely do that, no shuttle needed. We've been there a couple times and are planning another trip back.

Edit: Here's the GPS segment, from start to the Inn: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | North Fork Mountain Trail 07/24/2011 Franklin, WV near Franklin | Times and Records | Strava

To the OP: With all these recommendations, I would strongly recommend hitting the trails at Raystown Lake. Great place, all around. Plenty of water activities and the trails are fantastic.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Treill View Post
    Thank you all for the information! These places sound good and I will definitely be visiting them in the future.

Does anybody know of any good trails in the Finger Lakes region of NY, around Lake Seneca?
    You might try that question in the "New York forum"

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    After having ridden Quebec Run for the first time, I must say, I believe it to be considerably superior to Big Bear Lake. It is rockier, steeper, more technical and requires greater aerobic effort. 13.5 miles there had me at over 2500' of climbing. That climbing was all singletrack and most of it was rocky. Had to hike-a-bike a couple of brief times, but maybe an expert rider could have climbed it all (they have my respect). And that's just the riding aspect. The scenery is beautiful and as remote as it gets around here.

mtbr member

Ellicottville NY

Below is a post I put up for someone else who was looking for a cool weekend MTB get away w/n driving distance:

about 5-6 hours, but easy drive up 476 to 81 to Binghamton to 86 West will take you to a great place - the small ski town of Elicottville, NY located in south western NY, about 20 miles north of the PA boarder at Bradford. Below are some links the riding in McCarthy State Forrest with 6000 acres and over 40 miles of hand built single track. Elevation tops out around 2,200'. This link goes to the pdf map. poke around on the website for more info or pm me and I'm happy to give you any info you need.

I ride there about 10 times a year when I head home. The riding is spectacular, the regular start is a 20 minute switch back climb into the looping trail system. you ride through pine and birch stands to a section of rock that are called "erratics" -giant boulders (some 30' high) are scattered through the woods. One section of trail rides across the tops of some and you ride through a crevasse into a group of them. The rocky sections are technical enough to challenge the best and there are sections that smooth out for flow and speed. It is a great mix technical and flow. The state forest has dirt access roads, so you can make you ride as long or as short as you want. There is free camping there, but the sites are primative. IMBA has this trail system on its epic list. The trails system is big and remote, you ride up into the system that stays on the ridges and drops into a hanging valley toward the section called "Little Rock City" and you probably won't see but a couple riders, once you get away from the trail head.

The town of Ellicottville - at the bottom of the hill- has great bars and resturants with a brew pub many riders like. There are two LBS in case of mechanicals. The owners ride the trails and do group rides - they are hammer group rides btw- they have plenty of info on the trails and sell maps for $7, which goes to trail work. The ski resort of Holiday Valley has a mountain bike race loop that is ten miles and links into the adjacent trail system in McCarthy. Holiday Valley also has a high ropes course and a mountain coaster that is pretty cool.

October is a great time to go there - the leaves will be peak, its generally pretty dry then, they have festivals in town with lots of food and beer. there are tons of condos around the town b/c of the ski resort, so you could rent one cheap if you don't feel like camping.

Also, there is a smaller trail system within 5 miles of McCarthy forest called Golden Hill that is fun and if you wanted to do a quick ride on a driving day, would be perfect.

The links I had in the old post didn't paste, but you can find info below:

Check out WNYMBA.org. They have maps and info. Also, if you google Holiday Valley Ski Resort, they will have info.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST