mtbr member

Suggestions for Rocky Ridge ride

Looking to ride Rocky Ridge for first time, possibly tomorrow.
    I found a quality map.
    Need suggestions for order and directions on number trails to put together a couple of hours. The techier the better.
    #4 Rusty Chair is a no brainer, not sure where to pick-up; 4A "Broken Arrow"? Usually, if it has a name, it probably has something to offer over just a numbered trail.

Also, I am assuming 9A is still closed...I was going to try to hit everything red on the the map that was open.

mtbr member
    I hope to get up there too in the next few weeks weather permitting. I found the trail map on Maprika, but would be interested as well on order/directions for a nice couple hour ride.

mtbr member
    Stay off 9A. It is closed and is to remain closed. People are tearing down the signs and riding it anyway. I fear the place will close down to riding completely if people continue to ride a closed trail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    There really isn't any bad way to ride those trails, if you want to make a couple hours out of it you will need to ride it twice though. I agree with staying off the infamous trail 9A. There's better stuff to ride there anyhow.
    Last edited by PdlPwr; 11-23-2013 at 02:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PdlPwr View Post
    There really isn't any bad way to ride those trails, if you want to make a couple hours out of it you will need to ride it twice though. I agree with staying off the infamous trail 9. There's better stuff to ride there anyhow.
    9 is open for use, 9A not so much. Different trails all together.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Fixed

mtbr member
    Didn't make it today...planning on trying on Black Friday. Long range forecast says no precip and 39.

I get there not being any bad way to piece together a ride. Maybe I should ask if there is any trial to make sure I hit, even both ways...like trail 15 @ Gretna.

I read most of the long thread on 9A...no intention of riding it.
    IMHO going to someone else's home trails and adding to an access issue is a pretty douchy thing to do.

ALSO - not for me, put is it single speed friendly?

mtbr member
    That I can't answer since I don't ride a single speed, but I could ride with you on black Friday. What time are you thinking of going there? I live close and ride there a lot.

mtbr member
    Skip it and ride Michaux.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarmark View Post
    Skip it and ride Michaux.
    As long as you have a trailguide

At least my experience with Rocky Ridge is that going with the flow and forgetting the map is the best way to take a few hours I've tried the map a few times but manage to miss critical junctions or a random number will be missing on the trail sign. All fun, go with the flow since the park is not all that huge(unlike Michaux).
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    Didn't make it today...planning on trying on Black Friday. Long range forecast says no precip and 39.

I get there not being any bad way to piece together a ride. Maybe I should ask if there is any trial to make sure I hit, even both ways...like trail 15 @ Gretna.

I read most of the long thread on 9A...no intention of riding it.
    IMHO going to someone else's home trails and adding to an access issue is a pretty douchy thing to do.

ALSO - not for me, put is it single speed friendly?
    Totally SS friendly. And most of the trails are really good. 9, 4, 3, 7.... I like 4 as an out and back. 8 Has loads of fun playground style rocks to goof around one. Even the rocks in the first parking lot are fun to play on.

Totally SS friendly too. In fact, I've never ridden it on my geared bikes, only the SS. There are a couple climbs (on 8 and 3 going towards the parking lot) that aren't easy on SS though. They don't look too bad, but they a really steep and more importantly, loose. The SS's kyptonite. lolDoable, but very challenging.

Great place to ride for sure. We usually park in the second lot, and this is the route we did most recently that was pretty fun.

8 (looks for the fun rocks everywhere just off the trail) -> 7 -> Left on road -> 6 -> 4 (some fun stuff to play on here that works well both ways) -> 1 -> 2 -> 9 -> Right on 3 -> Up 3 or red 8 -> 1 -> Down blue 8 -> Right on 3 -> up blue 9 (also fun down) -> Right on 1 back to the car.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Single Speed friendly is Trail #5 (all the #5 trails..)--I don't see this in the last response..

Right when you get into the park, that first right (parking lot is trail #5)---ride that Whole area back there.. (Great for rigid single speed!)

when you park there go right (see that entrance)--then about 50 feet you will see a 'donated' park bench (keep straight at that point, don't bear right..)---and then make your FIRST RIGHT possible after that in about 50 feet? (it is an unmarked trail)--that leads back to the right eventually (and they have 5, 5a, 5b, and Maybe 5c?)----

but that unmarked trail is not rocky at all compared to the rest of the park (and is the best, tightest, SWEETEST, single track I have ridden at one place)--and it ends up on this downhill that is like a roller coaster ride!!!---

Even more fun than Fair Hill for a single speed I think (a lot more challenging)..

then you can ride back out to then main road (cross that street) to the Really Big main parking lot there (and follow the other trails at that starting point)--that seems to be what everyone did the 3 times I was there...

--that is the most fun trail I have ever ridden (saw maybe 5 mountain bikers each time there riding)--and that was always on a Saturday and Sunday!!--so not crowded at all (and folks have dogs leashed also..)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash29r View Post
    That I can't answer since I don't ride a single speed, but I could ride with you on black Friday. What time are you thinking of going there? I live close and ride there a lot.
    Not sure what the plan is yet. We'd have about 1 1/2 hour drive, plus I'd rather go later when the temps warm up. I am guessing no earlier than 10, maybe as late as a noon start.
    A lot will depend on the weather...I can freeze my ass off close to home. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

I don't ride a SS, but some of the guys who may come do.

mtbr member
    How does RR drain? It has been rain since yesterday, heavy at times.
    I am thinking maybe another time...BW is closer and mostly bomb-proof. And I know the spots to avoid.
    Temps in the upper 30s not too bad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    RR has been closed since yesterday. Best place to check on open/close is twitter @yorkcountyparks
    "Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up pspwesty.

Do you think it will dry up / drain enough to be open on Friday?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    Thanks for the heads up pspwesty.

Do you think it will dry up / drain enough to be open on Friday?
    Most likely. It drains pretty well. The longer it is above freezing the better, or if it stays below freezing all good. The parks have been relatively good at updating twitter so just keep an eye on that.
    "Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s