mtbr member

Suggestions for riding destinations for weekend road trip

Me and the lady friend are looking for a couple XC/epic riding locations for our trip to PA
    We will be coming from toronto, friday morning, should be in PA around 2pm (may 20th weekend)
    Wanted to ride the afternoon arrival day
    Ride both saturday and sunday (possibley bike park ?)
    then hit 3 to 4 hours on the monday before our drive home.

Not looking for anything to crazy but dont want a relaxing holiday either.
    I've been looking at posts on the board and there is some great advice, anything else would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, and if anyone wants a free dinner sat or sunday that weekend and would like to show two migrants around that would be great, and or have tickets to a pens game that would be even betterish.

thanks
    STEVE
    If I wanted to objectify a women I'd do it on my terms not theirs.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Do you already know WHERE in PA you're going, or are you trying to decide?

Regardless of where you're going in PA, one option is to hit Ellicottville, NY along the way for a little IMBA epic followed by a trip to the Ellicottville Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maynard
    Me and the lady friend are looking for a couple XC/epic riding locations for our trip to PA
    We will be coming from toronto, friday morning, should be in PA around 2pm (may 20th weekend)
    Wanted to ride the afternoon arrival day
    Ride both saturday and sunday (possibley bike park ?)
    then hit 3 to 4 hours on the monday before our drive home.

Not looking for anything to crazy but dont want a relaxing holiday either.
    I've been looking at posts on the board and there is some great advice, anything else would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, and if anyone wants a free dinner sat or sunday that weekend and would like to show two migrants around that would be great, and or have tickets to a pens game that would be even betterish.

thanks
    STEVE
    not sure where we want to go east west north south, just somewhere with lots of riding not 15 hours away from toronto

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    My random 2c ... mind you I have fairly limited knowledge compared to some around these parts ... I've only been living in PA since last July after all ... I really wish a longer term resident would speak up ... but ...

- find some place to stay in Danville / Bloomsburg - good epicenter to work from, looks to be about 6 hours from Toronto. Bloomsburg is a college town so there should be options, but I haven't checked.

- Ride Geisinger trails in Danville after you get in ( hilly ups and downs, fun, easy to find, not a huge commitment ). You may, just MAY, get one of the people who rides super regularly in Danville to lead you around there but it ISN'T required.

- Ride Rattling Creek near Lykens PA one day (probably w/in an hour drive from Danville ), I recently did a big ride there and my writeup probably gives you enough information to do as much as you could want on your own ( linky ). It's a little soon since my last ride there or I'd just up and volunteer to meet you ... but it's still possible ... i'm watching this thread and will probably speak up again by Friday. I'd rather have a good ride and make sure you do than not. If you end up short there for some reason, maybe cruise up to Moon Lake Park up towards Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. MLP park gates are open 8am-8pm. www.chriffer.com has a trail map and the trails are well marked, but a guide could be handy.

- Ride the Allegrippis Trails at Raystown Lake the other day (about an hour in a different direction). Trails are wildly different in character than Rattling Creek. They're super well made, and also very hard to get lost on (really). If you have anything left, then drop by one of the bike shops in State College (about 30 miles from Raystown - like Rothrock Outfitters or Freeze Thaw Bicycles) and grab a map of Rothrock State Forest and go hit some trail there (about 5 miles from State College). It's back to PA rockiness there though, so ride refreshed. State College is also a college town, lots of food n stuff options there.

I'll try to dig up some directions/links to post up, but it's past my bed time so that's gotta wait. Sorry.

mtbr member
    i have to recommend the laurel highlands. you have 7 springs, laurel mtn, quebec run, and a lot more great riding all in the same general area. toronto to 7 springs would be a 5-6 hour drive. 7 springs has downhill and xc riding. the laurel highlands are only about an hour or so from downtown pittsburgh.

Gravity's Gone
    If you take Bear's advice let me know. I'd love to do the Friday Geisinger ride and possibly the Rattling Creek thing. I can also help out with lodging - are you looking at hotels or camping or to crash on people's couches?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well if you decide to come to the Berks/Lancaster/Lebanon County area you could always hit Mt.Gretna, French Creek, Mt. Penn, Blue Marsh or maybe Camp Mack(permit required). All are excellent riding locations and you could also could possibly get an Amish buggy ride in Intercourse or maybe even eat some scrapple (with or without hair in it) I'd be happy to take you around but the Dirt Rag Dirtfest is the same weekend you are coming down at Raystown Lake.
    Go to http://dirtfest.blogspot.com/2010/01/event-news.html if you want more info. I think they still have spots available and it should be a blast.

mtbr member

7 springs

is 7 springs open yet?
    were going down on the 21st and the website says they open the 29th.
    not sure if thats just hte chair lift access

thanks

mtbr member

thanks

hotels and strip clubs would be preferable to stay, if the lady friend is okay with it

looking at the geographics of it all

we were thinking

1. ellicottville 10am friday to 3 or 4pm
    2. drive to michaux or raystown ... sleep there or there abouts (friday night)
    3. ride one or both sat.sunday
    4. hit rattling creek up on the monday or sunday

this order has no logic or anything other than 2 hour 2 minutes at a time on google maps when i have time at work

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    FYI, Blue Mountain (Palmerton PA) will be open for chairlift/DH biking on May 22nd.

ganginwood
    tussey mountain is a must. go to the discussion board HERE to find a guide. or grab one of the purple lizard maps.

this way you can stay in state college and find plenty to do plus you'll have access to the rest of PA from the center of the state.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

Did you ever have ham?

Blue Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    FYI, Blue Mountain (Palmerton PA) will be open for chairlift/DH biking on May 22nd.
    BBBRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!! LMAO!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    we can definitely set you up with the rides you are looking for here in the State College area. as mentioned above feel free to hit up the club forum or drop me a PM. If you want recommendations on where to stay, eat, drink, etc, just let me know that too. That weekend is Dirt Fest down at Raystown so must of us locals are gonna be down there. It will be a great party but if you are looking for a good long weekend of riding its probably not what you are looking for.

ganginwood
    nmba....are you "kevin", the guy that gave me a tour with jean luc about 2 years ago at state college...and one of the guys i rode with at grizfest?

i guess i'll see you pretty soon. btw, what is jean luc up to these days besides rippin off legs? i could'nt belive how strong that guy was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    yup, thats me. Jean Luc is now manager at the App House here in State College so thats takin up a little bit more of his time but he's still crazy strong. You heading to Dirtfest? or is there a grizfest planned that I have not heard about yet.