wot no bike?

New question here. Stripping and powdercoating services

Hey all:

I thought I remembered someone mentioning a business localish to Philadelphia that would strip and powdercoat a frame, but I can't seem to relocate that info. Any know?

Thanks!

PS: No stripper jokes. Or powdercoaters who are stripping. Pictures of regular strippers welcome though.
    pete

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by pahearn
    Hey all:

I thought I remembered someone mentioning a business localish to Philadelphia that would strip and powdercoat a frame, but I can't seem to relocate that info. Any know?

Thanks!

PS: No stripper jokes. Or powdercoaters who are stripping. Pictures of regular strippers welcome though.

How much are you looking to spend? And, more importantly, does it have to be powder-coated? Call_me_clyde had his son's BMX bike repainted on the cheap by hitting up a local auto body shop (several actually, IIRC, before he found one willing to do it).

If you want top-notch, custom paint (in the form of 87,324 coats of Imron paint and clear coat polyurethane) and you don't mind paying for it - try: http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/

Sorry, but that's all I've got. Don't know anyplace for powdercoat work besides the other Spectrum.

http://www.spectrumpowderworks.com

But they aren't cheap, and they sure as hell ain't local.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

wot no bike?
    Thanks Stick. Well that's the thing, the money part. For some reason I thought I remembered someone mentioning some local place where they would dip/strip and either paint or powdercoat and clearcoat for some reasonable amount, ~$100-125 maybe?

I guess my whole deal is that I just don't feel like doing it myself, I have too much other crap to worry about right now and wouldn't be looking forward to stripping the frame. If I don't find a cheap source I'll do it, but I don't wanna.

Anyways thanks for the input.
    pete

mtbr member
    I saw this posted on Craigslist:

Professional bike powder-coating. The price will start at $125, but could be higher depending on specific work or colors requested. Will also start doing cranks soon. Have Multiple color charts available to look at. Need about 5 days to do the job, but could be less. If interested call 267 760 0472 or email
    "Now the Wissahiccon is of so remarkable a loveliness that, were it flowing in England, it would be the theme of every bard, and the common topic of every tongue..." - Edgar Allan Poe

wot no bike?
    Cool thanks MX. It's probaby looking like I'm going to have to strip and prep the frame myself, I wonder how many hours that will take using that nasty aircraft paint remover, anyone have experience with that?
    pete

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by pahearn
    Cool thanks MX. It's probaby looking like I'm going to have to strip and prep the frame myself, I wonder how many hours that will take using that nasty aircraft paint remover, anyone have experience with that?
    Depends on the quality of your existing paint job. I've only ever stripped chromoly BMX frames, so I didn't have to use anything special - just run o' the mill nasty 'Zip Strip' paint remover. It's kind of like a jelly that you brush on, then let it sit for a while until the paint starts to bubble off. Then, it scrapes off pretty easily. It's messy, toxic crap, but it'll get the bulk of the job done in a hurry. The trickiest part is getting paint out of the areas where the tubes come together.

Why do you need 'aircraft' paint remover?
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    The trickiest part is getting paint out of the areas where the tubes come together.
    Yeah those are the areas which caused my heart started to sink as I daydreamed about stripping the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Why do you need 'aircraft' paint remover?
    I heard someone (prolly on MTBR) say they used something to that effect with good success. Then again, throw the words "aircraft-grade" in front of any product and it's instantly better.
    pete

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    To all:

Just wanted to add a comment or two. Cannondale will not honor the frame warranty if the frame is repainted! I did one a few years back and they told me they don't know what stripper I used even though I told them, so they didn't know if it had adverse effects on the aluminum.

I don't know if other manufacturers feel the same. Kinda lame, but I guess there are guys who would take a pressurized sandblaster to a thin aluminum frame.
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

wot no bike?
    That's good to know, I wouldn't have thought that would be an issue either. FWIW the frame in question is an old 80's Panasonic road frame, so luckily that will be a non-issue.
    pete

mtbr member

Powder Coating

Hey, check out this company, they are in Morrisville, PA and my brother just got his frame powder coated there and it looks sweet!!!

http://boneheadperformance.com/
    bike = good

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt_merchant
    Hey, check out this company, they are in Morrisville, PA and my brother just got his frame powder coated there and it looks sweet!!!

http://boneheadperformance.com/
    Cool thanks. What did it cost him, and did he get a custom paint color or did he pick from a palette?
    pete