Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005

Stoopid 50 weekend/race in Rothrock

The registration is open for the first annual Stoopid 50 race in Rothrock State Forest, near State College PA. June 10th at 9am. Its a 50 mile race, give or take, with about 70% SINGLETRACK, this is not a multiple loop race. It is part of a whole weekend of events, group rides, short fun timetrial stuff on Saturday, movies at the camp Saturday night etc.
    http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=4753
    is the link to register for the event and has more info. There will also be some casual group rides on Sunday if there are tagalongs that dont want to race or volunteer at the race.

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    Is there a map or detailed description of the course?

mtbr member
    Not yet. The DOF has yet to approve the proposed course so the map can not be released.

mtbr member
    The maps are up at:
    http://www.nittanymba.net/component/...40/Itemid,48//

There are three maps there all as letter size PDFs. One shows the whole course, Enite Course.pdf.. The other two (East half of course.pdf and West half of course.pdf) show the course in greater detail on two pages. The latter two could be printed double sided or just two pages and show the course in better detail.

Later maps with contours and larger print size will be available along with a profile of the course.
    Last edited by Raymo853; 05-12-2007 at 05:27 AM.

life is a barrel o'fun
    What's this race like? I do the VT50 every year, wondering how this would compare. My guess is a bit less elevation gain, many more technical challenges.
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    its tough, some say almost as demanding as the 100 mile race. There is a lot of rocky single track, its difficult to compare. It actually has some of the smoother stuff in the forest also incorporated, but thats relative. If you like rocky technical single track and alot of it, this is a great race. There really is not a ton of climbing, there is one stoopid hike-abike and about an 800ft vertical over 1.75 miles of single track climb but thats really about the extent of the sustained climbing. If you want some kind of NORBA type buff track, this aint it. If you want some great ridgetop single track, flowy swoopy track that runs down a valley, etc this will be a long fun challenge.

life is a barrel o'fun
    What's the total elevation gain? Any rest stops along the way.....or am I stoopid to ask that??
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    no stooped questions, just stoopid hike-abikes. Assuming that it is set up the same way as last year (no reason to think different) there are two aid station stops, happen to be in the same location as you sort of figure 8 a couple loops, seems like they hit at about 10 miles and 29 miles maybe? something like that anyways. I cant remember what the total gain was from last year but my semi-educated guess puts it in the 3000 feet neighborhood. I cant find an elevation profile, but the map of the course from last year has contours and the link is in raymo's post above. the course may get switched up a little to try and spread things out in the beginning a little bit more but no major changes are planned at this point.

life is a barrel o'fun
    Oh, and what's "ridgetop singletrack" (since there are NO stoopid questions)

the unvarnished nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by nmba guy
    Assuming that it is set up the same way as last year... I cant remember what the total gain was from last year... I cant find an elevation profile, but the map of the course from last year....
    Your original post states that this is the "first annual". Am I missing something, or just being stoopid?
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

life is a barrel o'fun
    Your original post states that this is the "first annual". Am I missing something, or just being stoopid?

The original post was from last year, my fault for bumping it up!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Ridgetop singletrack

IIRC much of the climbing is on fireroads and most of the singletrack is along the top of mountain ridges so while it's not flat you're not doing a ton of singletrack climbing. If you look at a topo map of the area (or much of PA for that matter) it's a series of sort of parallel ridges. The race goes up a ridge, along the top of it, bomb down into a valley, rinse and repeat. After 40 miles or so you really start to appreciate this set up.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...32086&t=p&z=12

Race is in the ridges west of Milroy and south of State College.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    not a problem, it will be the second annual this year. I was actually just on the phone with the orginizer a few days ago and things are looking good for it to be on June 15th this year. as far as ridgetop single track, BB puts it pretty well, we have a lot of trail that runs along the "spine" of the ridges, although there is no serious exposure like out west, just rolling, rocky, fun singletrack with some nice views here and there where theres not too many trees.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    According to my Polar, the total elevation gain for the race last year was 5960'.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Quote Originally Posted by leev373
    According to my Polar, the total elevation gain for the race last year was 5960'.
    That's about what I got last year. I don't exactly remember. I'm looking forward to this year though. Will pre-reg soon.

-PA
    Brought to you by rocks.