Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Steel City Enduro- anyone else going?

https://www.bikereg.com/Net/19675

It was part of the 2 race Endurorama last year, it's at Sals again. I didn't get to ride the Sals race last year, so I'm super stoked!

Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Was considering it but my understanding it is open class,I like races with age groups and talent level.I can do fun group rides anytime anywhere, but to compete in an open pot is pointless as far as,IMO competitive!

mtbr member
    IN! Missed last year's Endurorama due to injury.
    Should be a good time.

tech - you should re-consider. These events need support so they grow to the point where they can offer classes / age groups.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I would like to do this one, not sure how much I can get ba k in shape by then but may be worth a try. What do you think Lee?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    Was considering it but my understanding it is open class,I like races with age groups and talent level.I can do fun group rides anytime anywhere, but to compete in an open pot is pointless as far as,IMO competitive!
    ??? Yeah it's open, but there's a pro class, and an amateur class. I don't understand the age group thing, as I am 32 but there are 48 year olds out there that will straight school me. It's a have-fun-and-raise-money-for-the-trails kinda race, with some minor bragging rights I guess? This is the only race I'll do all year probably, precisely because it's meant to be fun above all.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Anyone do this one last year? Thinking about entering. Any descriptions of trails, stage length, etc. would be appreciated! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pike14 View Post
    Anyone do this one last year? Thinking about entering. Any descriptions of trails, stage length, etc. would be appreciated! Thanks!
    Where are you from?

Here is a map, the trails are rocky in places, flowy in others, but mostly rocky. A really good time. About 7 total miles (I recall hearing that, not sure- the whole trail system is like 10 miles), I didn't race it last year cuz I was out of town, but I was helping out on some pre-race maintenance on Saturday and they said it utilizes almost the whole system.

Walking Purchase Park - Salisbury | VMB - Lehigh Valley, PA Mountain Bike Club
    Last edited by XJaredX; 07-01-2013 at 06:05 PM.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    ??? Yeah it's open, but there's a pro class, and an amateur class. I don't understand the age group thing, as I am 32 but there are 48 year olds out there that will straight school me. It's a have-fun-and-raise-money-for-the-trails kinda race, with some minor bragging rights I guess? This is the only race I'll do all year probably, precisely because it's meant to be fun above all.
    I here what your saying but I'm 56 years old and if I'm going to compete it's nice to have a more even playing field! doing the Platty this weekend,has age groups and all others I plan to do are.since I have to pick and chose those that support age groups get carta blanche!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm from New York. Seems pretty similar to what I'm used to riding on the trails I ride here. Not sure if it's worth my trip though for only 7 miles of riding to be honest.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm from New York. Seems pretty similar to what I'm used to riding on the trails I ride here. Not sure if it's worth my trip though for only 7 miles of riding to be honest.
    I wouldn't quote me on that lol. We're about 90 minutes from NYC. I'd totally drive 2 hours to run this enduro.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

How do these trails handle the wet? Thinking about heading up this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Enduro Races aren't about distance, but all about the segments. I did the Raven Rock one at Tussey last year. It was a really friendly race, which I prefer.
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I just moved to the area this past week. I have not even put my bike back together yet, but I would love to ride this race. I have never raced an enduro race before? Can someone familiar with this race tell me a little about the segments? How long are they generally? I am out of racing shape, but this seems like a race that is more about having a fun ride, then going fast in segments for bragging rights.

Also, would anyone be interested in pre-riding the trails with me this week (I don't like to ride alone and have not met anyone who rides in the area)? I live in Salisbury off of Lehigh Ave (I think within a mile of the trail). I work during the day, so I would be down for an evening/night ride (I have a light) or a day ride Saturday, but it might be HOT.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    This is the second year for the race, and I missed the first year, so can't comment on segment lengths.

I can see if I can get out one night this week, not sure, but in the meantime, if you are on Facebook look up the East Coast Super D group, there are a few people this week trying to get out to pre run it.

Welcome to the area by the way! Where did you move from? We have a ton of good riding 10-30 minutes from your house, and actually extremely varied terrain. Bikevmb.com is a good resource but annoyingly you can't use the forums unless you are a member. But if you have any questions about good places to ride, let me know!
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member

I think you might be able to view maps and sign up for rides even if you're not a VMB member. I don't see anything about a pre-ride posted on the calendar or forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Very possibly going. Depends on a few things that are as-yet outside my control, but I want to.

And I've never ridden there, so racing Blind is pure entertainment!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by koval79 View Post
    I think you might be able to view maps and sign up for rides even if you're not a VMB member. I don't see anything about a pre-ride posted on the calendar or forums.

Oh for sure, he can get maps, calendar, etc, but he can't really post up to ask for riding buddies. "Free VMB" and all that.

I remember seeing a few guys on East Coast Super D on FB wanting to pre-ride it, but this week's VMB ride is at SMB so that doesn't help much
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member

Oh for sure, he can get maps, calendar, etc, but he can't really post up to ask for riding buddies. "Free VMB" and all that.
    Just pointing out that people can watch for a pre ride on the calendar. I'm on the fence about freeing VMB but having the forums open might help to boost interest in the enduro race. We rode sals last Wednesday. I will say that it's not exactly backcountry and is marked/mapped well. So no one should be hesitant to pre-ride it on their own.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    This is the second year for the race, and I missed the first year, so can't comment on segment lengths.

I can see if I can get out one night this week, not sure, but in the meantime, if you are on Facebook look up the East Coast Super D group, there are a few people this week trying to get out to pre run it.

Welcome to the area by the way! Where did you move from? We have a ton of good riding 10-30 minutes from your house, and actually extremely varied terrain. Bikevmb.com is a good resource but annoyingly you can't use the forums unless you are a member. But if you have any questions about good places to ride, let me know!
    Thanks for the info.

I just moved up from Florida. I raced downhill, slalom and 4x in college, so I got a taste of some decent trails. I imagine I am in for a treat once I pull out the bike and hit the trails around here...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    For sure. I almost always ride Sunday mornings with my friend, I live sorta near you, so hit me up and we can show you around.

I'm probably not riding this week until the enduro, I sprained some sort of muscle in my back at SMB on Sunday, I did something dumb that resulted in me OTB and landing the side of my ribs on the end of my bars lol.

Tomorrow night, if your bike is together, you can meet up for the VMB Wed night group ride, if you want directions to the parking lot PM me. SMB is similar to Sals but with more elevation change. Fun place.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Here's a video of last years event at Sals, Endurorama.

Endurorama Race ? 2012 (Recap Video) on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    How technical are the trails? Should I ride my Enduro SL (150mm rear/160mm front) or my Anthem (older 26' 80mm front and rear). I am much quicker on climbs on the anthem, but faster at descents and through rock gardens on the enduro.

mtbr member
    C'mon...the bike is named 'Enduro'; you have to ride that

Not sure how well the Specialized pedals. There is (from what I hear based on last year) one timed section with some climbing. Otherwise, I would definitely say go with the Enduro SL.

mtbr member
    I wish I was going. My best friend is having his engagement party on Sunday and it's in East Jersey.

Guess I better start training for next year.
    The cake is a lie.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    Guess I better start training for next year.
    training? who said anything about *training*?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast