mtbr member

State Parks (other than French Creek) that allow riding

I live in the northeast and want to get out for a long weekend to hang with the family and ride. Anyone ride at a state park that also has showers/water etc.?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    most if not all state parks allow riding but you have to stay on the trails that are designated as biking trails. check out the DCNR website, they should have all the info that you need including park maps. http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/index.aspx

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Blue Knob state park in central PA has some sweet single track. It is the 2nd highest point in PA and you can ride from the top to the bottom.

mtbr member

cool

LovePA, how many miles of singletrack are there?
    Thanks

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    theres at least a full days riding at the park if not two especially if you can navigate your way through the stuff on the resort side of the mountain.
    also you could hit Greenwood furnace state park. theres not much riding in the park but Rothrock state forest surounds it with great riding. check out the coopers gap maps on our website, www.nittanymba.org
    theres swimming and all the normal state park stuff for the family, nice campground etc

my church is the woods
    Pine Grove Furnace State Park sits within Michaux state forest, which has dozens of miles of the most excellent mountain biking in PA. maps are here
    . The Maximus race trails can be ridden right from the campground. The Curse of Dark Hollow is a very short drive.
    Also, for the family - Kings Gap environmental education center is close by, as well as historic Gettysburg.

mtbr member
    Lackawanna SP is awesome for riding. Joe Tierney works with Alex (the park ranger) to keep the trails in great condition. Joe sets up an "Adopt-a-trail" network of people who maintain there own sections. A couple guys from Hubbard have their own trails to maintain up there, as Hubbard Bike Club has one also. Alex said how much he appreciates our work in keeping the park in such great shape. I think the trail network is over 20 miles by now. Fahn

PS. Francis Slocum is also a SP, but I'll let Lee do the talkin' for the park he maintains and knows a lot more about.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I know that Jacobsburg Park allows riding. It is just north of Nazareth, there are some fun trails there too.

^ The Trail Starts Here ^

Good job!

[SIZE="2"]Thanks Larry:

Here in the Wyoming Valley:

Frances Slocum State Park

others(not State parks)
    7 Tubs County Park
    Mocanaqua Trail system
    Wanamie Trail
    The Luzerne County Rail Trail
    The Back Mountain Rail Trail
    The Level Trail system(paved)
    The West Side Trail(paved)
    Susquehanna Warrior Rail Trail

surrounding area
    Prompton State Park
    Merli Sarnoski State Park
    Lackawanna State Park

Ride it![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Just a quick note- Merli is actually a county park... Not that it makes that big of a deal, but just incase if you were searching for SP's online, Merli wouldn't come up. ttyl, Fahn

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn
    Just a quick note- Merli is actually a county park... Not that it makes that big of a deal, but just incase if you were searching for SP's online, Merli wouldn't come up. ttyl, Fahn
    How did I not Know that?....Let's make it a State Park!

mtbr member
    Yep! That's how the logging... or butchering took place last year. Thanks to Cordaro and Munchack, our County Comunist Commissioners 90 acres out of 843 were "selective harvested"... Luckily we restored and rerouted some of that in the winter last year and now have a fully functioning trail system again.

Thanks to us at HUBBARD, Gene and Pete Katapski, and you guys (NEPMTBA) the trails are in better shape now due to the hard work dedicated by us all.

Uphill hater
    FWIW, Jacobsburg doesn't have showers or camping, it's technically an enviornmental education center. But it is good, fun riding and there's camping around there up closer to the Poconos (30-45 minutes drive) Blue Marsh down towards Reading is a good ride but again, no showers or camping that I'm aware of.
    On another note, My God what a trove of information right in this forum about good places to ride. One could plan several mountain bike vacations around this info. Hmmmm, now that I mention it Got to get up to Lee's area and Larry's rea to check some of that action out. Thanks for all the info, guys!
    Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

My blog

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by gunner1
    FWIW, Jacobsburg doesn't have showers or camping, it's technically an enviornmental education center. But it is good, fun riding and there's camping around there up closer to the Poconos (30-45 minutes drive) Blue Marsh down towards Reading is a good ride but again, no showers or camping that I'm aware of.
    On another note, My God what a trove of information right in this forum about good places to ride. One could plan several mountain bike vacations around this info. Hmmmm, now that I mention it Got to get up to Lee's area and Larry's rea to check some of that action out. Thanks for all the info, guys!
    Gunner1 Chuck

We is wait'in for ya.....LOL

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

York area?

Rocky Ridge State Park
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    I've decided on Blue Knob State Park. Sounds like there is some good riding there.
    Thanks