mtbr member
    Sep 2004

State Game Lands

Anybody have any information about this?

Question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LititzDude
    This is something that I have been dealing with since before the ban. The PA GC did hold open houses in the debate over the "right" to limit what trails could be closed, because damage to the "environment" caused by mountain bikes and horses. I went to the one held at Middle Creek and they had poster boards of some streem crossing that had gotten out of hand and was one of the worst areas I have ever seen. When I asked the Ranger where this was, he told me and I turned to my friend and he said we ride that, of matter of fact we had just been there..... When we confronted the ranger of when the pictures had been taken, he could not say for sure. The area had been bad, and I remember when someone had taken the time to redirect and armor the stream crossing with rocks and the area was better then ever. When we suggested to the rangers that we know of areas that could be fixed and could arrange for this to happen, we were told that "you" can't alter or build anything on State game lands. We insisted this would not be anything but natural improvments and could be supervised by them....they said no. This is when I realized that no matter what we said, riding on singletrack on state game land was done. The reason that they only wanted the "right" to close some trails was that they did not want to close them was that the Pittmen Roberts act that taxes firearms and ammunition (VERY BIG part of the income they need) requires access to the public to continues. My favorite trial is the Horseshoe around RT322 and is surounded by game land and Camp Mack. Since the ban, Camp Mack has been used very hard and the Boy Scouts only ask that you sign in at the ranger station. Since this increased use, the trails have taken a beating. In response to this the Boy Scouts did what made sense. They fixed it themselves. They moved trails, installed water bars and installed wooden bridges( with a really cool set of steps leading down to one) over creeks. Where water had drained and pooled they got the Kuboda out and filled it in and made the area better. This is getting kind of long, but the problem is that the PASGC does not want us or anybody other then hunters using this land. I remember thinking Golf coures were an arogent use of land....not anymore.

If you go south from the Middle Creek Wildlife center on Kleinfeltersville road and turn right onto Mountain Spring Road and then right into the parking lot. You go straight on the trail which then forks to the left onto Elders Run Trail. This goes up the hill to a four way intersection. I believe if you turn left you are on the Horseshoe trail which then heads uphill again. Is this all legal to ride? I was just out there hiking this afternoon and saw green triangle signs with an equestrian and a biker on them. What trails were closed at Middle Creek? Are you talking about the ones behind the wildlife center?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here.

macbugs:

What SGL number is that?

Is any part of that a "Designated route"?

my church is the woods
    at middlecreek, the horseshoe trail is OPEN to bikes, as you saw with the green triangles posted. Elder's run trail is also open up to the HST. the other trails behind the museum are closed to bikes.

a full list of "designated" trails is here http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/b...0&bc=0&c=69913

aside from the HST, my suggestion if you want to ride in that area, get yourself an annual $25 permit at Green Mtn. Cyclery in Ephrata to ride Camp Mack. many great trails there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    macbugs:

What SGL number is that?

Is any part of that a "Designated route"?

It is state game lands number 46.
    I'm just curious as to what trails at Middle Creek were closed because I hike out there often.

Yes, I'm planning on getting the Camp Mack permit - just got to decide on the bike to buy