mtbr member

starting something in Lancaster

Would anyone be interested in starting some sort of Mountain Biking club or association in Lancaster? As far as I know, there isn't anything for mtb but I may be wrong, so sorry in advance if I am. I was thinking about getting a group together and then volunteering to do trail maintenance at the Lancaster County Central Park trails and anywhere else really.

Also, to anyone who reads this...how would someone go about talking to someone about trails that are already owned by the park and maybe adding new trails to the park and doing maintenance basically? Where should I look to speak to someone about that? Not sure if anyone has any experience with something like this but I'm sure someone has so I'm just throwing it out there. Thanks a lot!
    cas im diggin a ditch where madness gives a bit.

banned
    Apr 2009
    I thought about doing that last year myself. Go to IMBA.com and it tells you how to start one up. I just did not have the time going back to school here, but I also do not think Lancaster has the trail system for one. Camp Mac is private land and Central Park gets maintenance evertime I ride it-LOL. It would be a good idea but do not think I could get 5 people out there to maintain trails (because those trails if I see anyone on them it is just a few hicker's). Have not seen 8 different bikes there on the trails in 2 years...
    ALSO-most of the trails that really need some work no one rides on them at all from what I've seen..--the small and Really out-of-the-way small trails that might be a minute or so to ride them... Or the one trail that needs a Chainsaw to cut through the downed trees--and the problem is getting one of those there..--Even Park Maintenance doesn't touch those spots at all! It might just be a good idea to have a 'Trail Day'--like an Earth Day event there....--I thought about doing that also for the start of this season but with soo few people riding there and trail systems spaced out as they are--Didn't know of any local businesse's who would support that--AT Least supply some shovel's and food for the day?!?!? --I didn't want ALL supplies and refreshments to come out of my pocket!!, I could not even sell that idea to my job as a 'write off' for the company last year....-----
    BUT If you want to set up a trail day [and provide refreshments] I will come----
    Last edited by 247; 05-04-2010 at 12:45 AM.

mtbr member
    haha.
    you're right. really I would just like to see about putting a trail in on the scout trail (I believe) that would bypass those 10 or so steps made out of telephone poles...if you ask me, that is the best part of the trail coming down there and all of a sudden you have to slow down so much or get off of your bike because those steps are there. I have always wanted to put something in next to it so you can keep your speed throughout that trail.

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    I would help support any trail work that you guys are going to do. Being that I live in Lanc, County Park is the only place I can ride to from my house.

mtbr member
    By all means get in touch with Frank from IMBA (known as nimbaguy here on mtbr). Wvmtba just hooked up with IMBA and just reading over stuff and their ideas have done a wonder of good for us, and I'm sure it will help lead you in the right direction.

Sounds like you have a base to start with, so go from there. I'm sure people will join in.
    Facebook.com/Plains Bike Shop

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LititzDude

yeah, looks like a good organization but they don't even have county park trails listed anywhere. i know they're not great but they could be!

smartass
    Don't know how much is public, so I'll leave it up to LititzDude to add, but SAMBA is the best place for you to start if you're interested in Lancaster County trails. They already build and maintain in Camp Mack (which is great, btw, you should go) and are pursuing other opportunities.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amish_matt
    Don't know how much is public, so I'll leave it up to LititzDude to add, but SAMBA is the best place for you to start if you're interested in Lancaster County trails. They already build and maintain in Camp Mack (which is great, btw, you should go) and are pursuing other opportunities.
    "Camp Mack (which is great, btw, you should go)" but only after you buy a pass please.

The best advice I can give is to contact Brian Arnold (SAMBA president) and discuss getting involved. That is how I got started at Mack and Brian knows how to present a clear defined plan to get things going.

Matt

banned
    Apr 2009
    "Camp Mack (which is great, btw, you should go)" but only after you buy a pass please.
    Yeah I am closer to the York trails than here (living in East Hempfield) and decided not to pay $25 to ride a trail I might only go to once or twice, PLUS having to drive outside of Reading Pa. to purchase the pass...--Plus York trails are free to ride...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by antgrave
    Would anyone be interested in starting some sort of Mountain Biking club or association in Lancaster? As far as I know, there isn't anything for mtb but I may be wrong, so sorry in advance if I am. I was thinking about getting a group together and then volunteering to do trail maintenance at the Lancaster County Central Park trails and anywhere else really.

Also, to anyone who reads this...how would someone go about talking to someone about trails that are already owned by the park and maybe adding new trails to the park and doing maintenance basically? Where should I look to speak to someone about that? Not sure if anyone has any experience with something like this but I'm sure someone has so I'm just throwing it out there. Thanks a lot!
    The key to any successful club is local buy-in. You, as a local to the trails in question, are the most logical person to either start a new club or become part of an existing club and be the liason in charge of that particular park. It looks like there are at least a few people who are interested so I would get a google group going and ask everyone to join that as your center for communication. Approach the SAMBA people and talk to them and see what their ideas are and see if it makes sense to join them and gain their immediate support and guidance, or start a new club and Frank from IMBA should be able to give you some great guidance. He may even come meet with you and the park manager if you can get a meeting set with the park. Bottom line is start getting involved and move this idea forward. All it takes is some volunteer work and initiative and next thing you know we (MTB'ers) have another park to enjoy. Get yourself a copy of the IMBA books about trailbuilding and organization and read up, so when you talk to the park manager you look and sound like you know what you are talking about. Go for it dude.
    bike = good

my church is the woods
    Some good suggestions here so far. Getting in contact with Brian from SAMBA and buying and reading the IMBA Trail Solutions book are the place to start. Also get to some of the public meetings for the park, meet the staff there and start making youself known to them.

I think county park would be a great setting for a pump track, and could work as a gateway to more trails because it would attract many more riders there. They are inexpensive to build, relatively safe for all skills and ages, and lots of FUN. Check out the one in Chambersburg for an example. Or the one they built at the Sea Otter

sambabiker.com
    At SAMBA we set up a point person for each park. If you would like to try to set something set for Lancaster please send be a PM or contact me through the SAMBA website.
    Brian Arnold, SAMBA President