mtbr member

Spring trip to Merli & Prompton. Wondering about general trail conditions.

I know no one can predict the weather but what is the traditional opening of Prompton, Merli and Moon Lake? I'm thinking of a trip late April, early May. Any local available for tours?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Promptom may be sensitive to melting, I'm not sure, I don't get up there enough to know, hopefully one of the more-local will be able to share.

But all three never really 'close' - if it wasn't for the snow depth they'd be ridden now.

But, considering the snow depth, I'd give them a week after melting for the water and mud to settle, more or less, depending on the weather patterns. Merli and Moon in particularly have a mostly rock substrate which handles drainage pretty well.

But But, there are a few trails on both Merli and Moon that have seen way too much wet conditions riding (I'm thinking in particular of Natures Way 1 & 2, What, Ledgeview, and 8 at Moon) and there's significant rut conditions there. Currently hard frozen and under 6+ inches of snow and ice, but the ruts are there.

Post up again when you're closing to coming out, there's usually people around and riding.

I'm generally available on Fridays, and when the weather turns I'll be obsessively abusing myself on my bike.

Another great local spot for us is Moosic, if you haven't been it is worth a ride.

Where are you coming from?

mtbr member
    I'll be coming from central VT. My brother has a vaca. home in Lake Ariel area & before moving to VT 10yrs ago I rode Prompton a bunch & Merli 2x. I want to bring a few friends to check it out.

mtbr member
    BTW I meant Moosic not Moon Lake. Haven't ridden either area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    By late April -early May most places should be good to go, unless winter hangs & we have a rainy spring.Most of these places might have a spot or two that might be wet,but for the most part all these trail systems have come along way.Thanks to all who helped make improvments,I`am allways riding Prompton & you might also want to check out LSP if its a dry spring KP

mtbr member
    LSP?
    Are you Kevin? The guy who built a lot of the prompton trails? If so, I contacted you 10+ yrs ago for the 411.
    Luke

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yeah that`s me, your up in VT ,that`s cool .Where in VT & where do you ride ? oh boy I`m asking all the question ,LOL ? LSP = Lackwanna State Park ,A real good friend of mine does the same there as I do at Prompton.great place to ride by the way.Let me know when your down this way ,I know my way around these places real well.I might be able to show you around if work doesn`t get in the way.happy trails KP

mtbr member
    i will certainly look you up. I;m in the planning stage right now. I moved to central vt, Waitsfield, near Sugarbush ski resort. The wife I bought a B&B, Wilder Farm Inn. Great riding here! & I do mtb tours. I'm hoping to bring along a few friends.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Pure, you'll definitely want a local guide for Merli as it *can* be hard to follow the trail in some area, but it's very worthy.

Moosic is easy to follow even w/o a guide.

mtbr member
    You can ride Moosic at almost any given time. But if it rained or is saturated, please skip Waterfall/White Birch. You'll have awesome traction most of the time due to the Conglomerate stone. Even in the winter.
    Merli, like Moosic, is good most of the time, but has flagstone and roots. When it's wet it will be slick in spots. Climb, decend, climb, decend. Repeat about 3 times. The locals argue over which is more technical - Merli or Moosic.
    Prompton is a great mix of everything. Technical sections, fast and flowy stuff, climb, decend, rolly... Long. Once your out there, there isn't a shortcut back. Very fun.
    LSP shouldn't be ridden for a week after the last time it rained. But if it's been dry, hit it for sure. LSP has a lot of flagstone (summer ice when it's wet) that lays flat. If you have a race bike or hardtail, this and Prompton are the two places you'll love. The biggest issue here is that you'll need a guide. There aren't any trail markers, trails intersect, and the park is broken up into 5 different areas. The parks trail map is vague, not up kept and doesn't have half the trails listed.
    Like someone else said, when you're in the area, post up on here. Someone will show you around. Ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    thanks for the help with the 411. I will be in touch when I get my dates worked out. I hope to ride with all the PA peeps!

mtbr member
    Not meaning to jack this thread just curious, last time I was at Prompton
    the bridge at the opposite end of the dam off Beech grove was washed out, remnants of Sandy, has it been fixed? had to hike a bike along the shore to get back up and over to the other side. Was told that's private property not belonging to the state. Looking forward to getting back there this summer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    fixed

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Feel free to check out Moon lake 25 plus miles of trails, make it worth the trip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would say if drainage and mud is a concern then moosic mountain is usually the best local option due to its elevation / drainage. prompton does take a bit longer to drain but if you havent been in the area for a while prompton has some new trails that you haven't been on before too i bet.

friendsofprompton.org

mtbr member
    the trip is set. We will be arriving thursday May 1 riding that day, Fri & Saturday maybe an early shorty on Sunday. Anyone available for tour of Prompton, Merli or Moosic? There will be four of us, no beginners.

mtbr member
    I'll be in Reading doing the Duryea DH race that weekend! FKNA!!! Otherwise I'd show you Moosic and Merli. Anyway, there's always riders at Moosic and usually riders up Merli coming and going at all different times that can show you around. Ttyl, Fahn

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    While I'm also planning on being down at Duryea DH on Sunday I have no clue yet on what Saturday will yield.

Either way, I'll be available Friday. I could easily show you a good tour of Moosic, or get lost and found at Merli/Prompton. Shoot me a PM earlier that week to remind me, eh?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pure View Post
    the trip is set. We will be arriving thursday May 1 riding that day, Fri & Saturday maybe an early shorty on Sunday. Anyone available for tour of Prompton, Merli or Moosic? There will be four of us, no beginners.
    Hey Luke I`m around on weekends ,I`ll show you around if ya want that way when I come up to your neck of the woods you`ll have to show me around,LOL deal ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Stop in to sawmill cycles in honesdale they run weekend group ride at prompton, they have maps in the shop and info on trails

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Moon Lake is ridable as of Saturday 3/22/14

mtbr member
    Sounds good.

mtbr member
    Bear:
    Moosic on Friday would be great! We will bring post ride beers unless there is a good brew pub nearby (I have to believe there is not!)
    Let's plan on it. I'll PM you with contact info later.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I don't live on that end of the valley so I don't pretend to know the Pub lay of the land, but there's gotta be something reasonably close. It's just a couple miles down the hill to civilization for heck sake. See you then.