Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Spring Mountain?

I just heard of this place recently, all of the stuff in MTBR's forums and reviews are from 2004-2005. Has anyone been there recently, is there still mountain biking there? I was thinking of taking the short drive from philly this saturday but I wanted to make sure there was still some DH/FR stuff there. I greatly appreciate any help you offer, thanks.

mtbr member
    i dont think they've done the races in two or three seasons. this probably means the trails are overgrown and the north shore stunts havent been maintained. i would be weary of riding.
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrokid73
    i dont think they've done the races in two or three seasons. this probably means the trails are overgrown and the north shore stunts havent been maintained. i would be weary of riding.
    To add to this... afaik, the mountain has never been "open" to mountain biking except on racedays. I'd call before giving any more thought to going.

http://www.springmountain-fun.com/summer-season.htm
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Skier by trade
    Aug 2006
    I rode it a couple of weeks ago..Ehh. Not much to write home about. Green Lane, Bear Creek and Marsh Creek are all better.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Anyone actually ride here lately? Any update on conditions?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Why not come to Reading, not much further,and all the DH runs are in excellent condition.shuttle friendly!

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    I'm down... Where are the trails in Reading?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Pagoda,skyline drive.park at the Fire Tower,most times there are riders doing shuttle's around noon time,or feel free to explore the area,drops,jumps,gaps,flow runs and rock gardens.just recently built some new technical free ride/cross country trails.if you like a challenge this is the place to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Wait a sec. Pagoda? Skyline drive? Can you be more specific? Does the park have a name? I've heard there is some legandary riding in Reading but never looked into going there. I'm a cross country rider but I really enjoy the technical stuff and don't mind going off some smaller jumps. Any suggestions on where to go?

mtbr member
    May 2008

Sounds cool-I'm gonna check it out

I've heard about it, and now that I've recovered from my sprained wrist, I'm looking for some new places to ride. I've been to the pagoda 1 time as a tourist, but that was several years ago before I started mountain biking, so my un-enlightened eyes didn't notice any biking trails that time. I'll check it out and look around, but could you clarify, are the trails actually at the pagoda itself, or are there better trails on the mountain?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Park at the Fire Tower,can't miss it,up the road from the Pagoda.park near the concrete deck with the rails around it ,go though the yellow gate.a trail head starts along the top of the ridge and explore from there.it's a big area you will notice alot of fire road at first,but if you pay attention you'll be rewarded with single track.alot of DH and freeride trails on this side.on the Antiedam Lake side more single track.good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    OK. I completely forgot that there was a Pagoda up there. I thought you were talking some kind of code or something. haha.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I went searching for Spring mountain this past Saturday after riding Green Lane. I really just wanted to see where it was and try and locate where I could get on the trails. There was a guy just about to hit the trails there in the large dirt parking lot and he said he had been riding there for quite some time and never heard that the mountain was ever closed to bikes.

Does anyone know if the trails are marked just in case I decide to go check them out? Or better yet... is there any trail maps of this place online anywhere? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I reeeeeeeealy doubt that any trail map still exists for spring mt. Its been about 4 years since they ran their last race series (or more?). Best bet is to find a local or someone who rides spring mt, as all the trails that were there during the race series are probably changed a little even if you did find a map. Spring mt put a cap on building there since its like a bird or wildlife sanctuary, and I doubt theres been any woodwork being built there since 2004. Anything that was there is slowly rotting away as well, so some of the trails may have to change route to accomadate for this.

Fun place from what I remember, great place to learn the sport at!

But yea, readings the sh!t now. I know we've (a local group of riders) been taking care of the trails there, and many others have. We've also laid down a few new runs, natural features and linking trails which just keep adding to the pimpness of Mt. Penn. Ride it!

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    The enigma of Spring Mountain continues...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    But yea, readings the sh!t now.
    Any intrest in riding there this weekend? I'd like to check it out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I think we're going Sunday, usually get there around 10-11am, ride till 4 or later weather dependant. Your welcome to ride, but our shuttling setup only really accomodates 2 people (my friend and I), So unless anyone else shows up with like a minivan, box van or truck - if you have a larger vehicle, bring it, thats the ticket for assembly line shuttling.

We may cut back some of the overgrowth on Dane's run Sunday as well, weather dependent.

::Edit:: I see your more interested in XC/AM riding up there? We may not be the best group to ride with, as we typically like to "race" the runs on our DH bikes, however we'd be more than pleased to direct you towards what XC/AM appropriate trails we know of if you'll keep the place lookin' fresh

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Haha, yea... I certainly won't be able to hang w/any DHers. Plus I like to climb too.

I think I'm pretty easy on the trails I ride on. The worst thing I do is go riding when the trails are wet. But I've helped out with a couple trail maintenance days at wissahickon park so I certainly show my respect.

I was thinking about going on Saturday if I'm nothing comes up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I finally went to check out Spring mountain just because I was curious. To my surprise the trails I found were in good shape and not overgrown at all. I really didn't know my way around the mountain, but I simply rode to the top of the mountain by following the main road from the dirt parking lot and then looked for trail openings off the ski slope.

I'm sure there are tons of trails that I missed though. I also saw a few off shoots from the Perkiomen trail that looked like it went up towards the back of Spring mountain that I didn't get to check out yet.

The one trail at the very top of the mountain that I found had some pretty steep switch backs and then went into XC type single track for several miles that would usually make it's way back to the slopes.

I did find one DH trail near the chair lift that has brand new wood ladders on some crazy rock sections.

mtbr member
    If a dude comes up while your on the actual mountain looking like Grizzly Adams rode in on a Harley and says his name is John Alderfer....Run....You have about 12 seconds before you get a few buckshot pellets in your a$$.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Gonna go over and check Spring out tomorrow, wife has just got her first FR bike so looking for a few places to do some runs at. Anyone going to be about? Any tips you can give us apart from look out for Buckshot Adams apparently.

mtbr member
    Spring mount is ok, but no shuttling available. The trails are usually in good shape. There are a few people that maintain the trails there. It's really rock and technical, and there aren't any maps. You'll just have to search around for stuff, I believe there is about 8-9 trails there.
    Team _________

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm heading over to reading soon. I'm gonna check out the trails and the Duryea Hillclimb at the same time. Should be a good time. Having never been there, I don't have much of a plan. But my plan is to start at Antietam lake and head towards reading. I'll watch the hillclimb for a bit and then head back. I'll report back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I rode there today for about 1.5 hours. Most of the trails appear to be well maintained. Some of the ladders were a little sketchy, but there are some new ladders on a really rocky DH run. Overall it is a fun fun for an afternoon, but the ride to the top leaves something to be desired .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast