Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Speedgoat Moving - Need Suggestions

So I guess it's official. Speedgoat has announced their plans to relocate, which have sort of been known for some time but not official.

I've always been happy with them and will continue to order from them, even though I like the L in my LBS.

My real concern is finding a good shop in Western PA (close to Greensburg/Pittsburgh) for high level wrenching....i.e. servicing suspension, etc. I'd prefer it to be a shop that sells Pivot, but this isn't a must. Any suggestions??

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Honestly Speedgoat took the L out of LBS a while ago. Since their showroom was under "Renovation". Since all that went down, I've been using City Cycle, up in J-Town. They may not have all kinds of super high end stuff sitting on the floor, but their owner (Dave)and long time wrench (Chris)have been doing bike work for quite a few years, and they treat me right, and with respect. Two things I can't say for many shops.

There is a good shop in Monroeville as well. Nice guys at ProBikes, it's in a little strip mall right off 22, went there a few times when I broke at Boyce, and spoke with in length with them when I was looking into a DH rig. Really Nice people, quite knowledgeable with a lot of the new stuff, and they didn't forget the old in the process. Good Luck

mtbr member
    Yeah...I hear you on the showroom thing, but what I liked most was having local mechanics I trusted. And they were always happy to accommodate demoing and pick ups, so I felt like they were an LBS even without a 9-5 showroom.

Thanks for the suggestions -- others have recommended ProBike which is closer for me than Johnstown.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Are they closing their pa location completely ? Cause the info on the web site makes it sound like they're just moving all their mail order stock and shipping to chicago. Tell you what - it would be a shame if their employees had to face moving to chicago or losing their jobs. Thats just about the last place a mountain biker would want to live.

SBT
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vack
    There is a good shop in Monroeville as well. Nice guys at ProBikes, it's in a little strip mall right off 22, went there a few times when I broke at Boyce, and spoke with in length with them when I was looking into a DH rig. Really Nice people, quite knowledgeable with a lot of the new stuff, and they didn't forget the old in the process. Good Luck
    I second ProBikes. I haven't been to the Monroeville location, but Squirrel Hill and the South Hills have always treated me right.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    Are they closing their pa location completely ? Cause the info on the web site makes it sound like they're just moving all their mail order stock and shipping to chicago. Tell you what - it would be a shame if their employees had to face moving to chicago or losing their jobs. Thats just about the last place a mountain biker would want to live.

they sold out to a big group of investors so the speedgoat that we all knew no longer exists. speedgoat will just be another big box store.

they were bought out by these guys http://www.actionvillage.com/home

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Ugh. That blows. They aren't my LBS as I live in Allentown but I enjoyed ordering from them on numerous occasions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Mike - ProBikes is a good shop in the Greensburg/Pittsburgh area not knowing exactly where you are. I've used them before, but have made the switch to Big Bang Bikes located in West Mifflin. I will use West Liberty Cycles in Dormont also, but if I have my choice, I'm going to Glen and his group at Big Bang. :twocents:

Uphill? What's that
    I know one of the people that works there and he is moving.
    he was really unhappy about selling his new downhill rig he just built up.

mtbr member
    Interesting read, especially the recent comments: http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/don-bel...ating-officer/

They were once my local shop; even up until two months ago, I was able to tap on the back door to pick up orders during the 2+ years of "renovations."

mtbr member
    Bye Speedgoat, it's been nice ordering from you.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by xJAHx
    Interesting read, especially the recent comments: http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/don-bel...ating-officer/
    Wow. Burn ! That sucks.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Awesome....my luck. I was looking forward to getting to go there over Christmas Break. My parents are (probably) buying a house on Grove Ave. in Johnstown this week. I won't be moving up there, but I will be up there for about 2 weeks over Christmas and at other times during the year. My Great grandma just passed on on Oct. 30. The main drag (von Lunen St.) was named after that side of my family, so you may have heard of them. What trails are there in that area?
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I always wondered what happened to Speedgoat. I live 3 miles from them, or rather their former location, and despite being local and getting all the local scoop from the "underground", it was suprisingly quiet concerning them. Bought a few Salsa's through them over the past few "innovations" years. Chris and Beth were always good to me though they were increasinly difficult to find around the shop over the past 5 yrs or so.

To the OP....if you're from "the ridge", Johnstown/City Cycles as previously recommended. If you're closer to Pixburg, Big Bang and ProBike as mentioned are good.

If you're in the Ligonier, Latrobe, Greenburg area........you're hosed. Drive to one of the afore mentioned locations. I mail order it all these days......

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckaloe
    I always wondered what happened to Speedgoat. I live 3 miles from them, or rather their former location, and despite being local and getting all the local scoop from the "underground", it was suprisingly quiet concerning them. Bought a few Salsa's through them over the past few "innovations" years. Chris and Beth were always good to me though they were increasinly difficult to find around the shop over the past 5 yrs or so.

To the OP....if you're from "the ridge", Johnstown/City Cycles as previously recommended. If you're closer to Pixburg, Big Bang and ProBike as mentioned are good.

If you're in the Ligonier, Latrobe, Greenburg area........you're hosed. Drive to one of the afore mentioned locations. I mail order it all these days......
    You must have your own "underground" source to know about all the supposed "innovations" over the past few years despite not being able to find Chris and Beth around the shop. I don't believe employees stating what they endured in order to turn a profit for unappreciative owners is illegal. In fact, these are the reasons are forefathers founded our great country and spoke up against tyrants controlling their lives.

Anyways, too many shops try to turn bike mechanics into rocket science. Replacing seals and rebuilding rear shocks is easier than you think as long as you don't rush. I just rebuilt a Fox rear shock with the help of Youtube. I mail order it all these days as well, but gladly give some business to Cycle ski and Sport and the new shop that opened in Greensburg when I need the usual supplies. If you still feel more comfortable having someone else wrench on your suspension, I'd say Dirty Harrys is the only shop I would trust with my gear. However, you'd be suprised how many shop mechanics use Youtube and other online sources when wrenching on a customer's bike. It may be intimidating at first, but a suspension rebuild at any shop is the equal to a car payment on a very nice car or bike for that matter. Good luck!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laurelhighlandsrider79
    It may be intimidating at first, but a suspension rebuild at any shop is the equal to a car payment on a very nice car or bike for that matter. Good luck!!
    Are you saying a bike shop charged you $400 - $600 for a fork rebuild, or did I misunderstand you?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm talking about an entire suspension overhaul. Fork and rear shock seals, and fresh bearings. A good car to me is $200-$400 and it's certainly not unheard of for a shop to charge what you consider a good car to cost per month, which is why I encourage anyone with their own tools to give it a go. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You must have your own "underground" source to know about all the supposed "innovations" over the past few years despite not being able to find Chris and Beth around the shop. I don't believe employees stating what they endured in order to turn a profit for unappreciative owners is illegal. In fact, these are the reasons are forefathers founded our great country and spoke up against tyrants controlling their lives.
    Not sure what to say. You seem pretty fired up over this, you were likely closer to the situation than myself.......just saying what I experienced and heard through the local riding community. Renovations is what I intended where I wrote "innovations". I was referencing the closed to the public spoof of remodelling. No mention of anything illegal or tea parties.

I do miss having that shop around, I can tell you that. It was one of the best "toy stores" I've ever been in. Chris's business model was inspired although obviously there were some challenges, some met and some not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    It fired me up to see riders who were obviously local, and former employees who were stating their opinion being referred to as the underground like they were a bunch of outlaws or something. Sorry, but I'm not sure how many people who lost their jobs and 401k money in this economy would turn around and give their former employer props. Yes, I do know some of the former employees and they are all great people. I do agree that it was a nice toy store in the area. However, all too often, shop owners use this as a means to trap employees, since they know most people working at shops ride as well. Guys in the sales department at Speedgoat were supposed to ride current products they sold. When you take a 5k bike, the shop cost is around $3000-$3500 give or take. and a workers salary of slightly above minimum wage, the poor sales guy has no chance to get ahead. It's like if a poor kid wants to work at Abercrombie and Fitch, and wants to actually pay a few bills and survive without Governement assistance which everyone that works hard, should. I believe the coal mining companies in the 1800's had a similar business model that was very successful in retaining talent. Employees who are able to articulate real world riding experience into their sales pitch have a much higher success rate, plus it helps move one extra unit which results in even deeper discounts for the company. Unless an employee has a fat trust fund/savings account, it's very difficult to survive, and even if they do, why would they want to forgo financial security and the means to have a family of their own in order to be the guys that ride what they sell so that some incompetent COO can come in and take credit for the most successful year ever at Speedgoat despite his wild spending sprees on crap computer systems that made everyone's job harder? Oh, and when Speedgoat gets bought out, he takes credit for "streamlining" everything to the point utmost efficiency resulting in the biggest profit ever and a fat commission check for him, all done with smiles and fake friendships. But hey, that's the way things work in the business world.

I was also trying to give the fellow looking for help in finding a new shop my two cents on shops in the area and how I go about maintaining my own suspension, instead of just ranting about big corporations screwing over the little guy
    Last edited by laurelhighlandsrider79; 04-03-2011 at 07:46 AM.

mtbr member
    hey, there is a new shop that just opened up in adamsburg (which is between irwin and jeanette). it's run by an ex speedgoat guy so it might be worth checking out. Cycle Symphony is the name of the shop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InvictaS1
    hey, there is a new shop that just opened up in adamsburg (which is between irwin and jeanette). it's run by an ex speedgoat guy so it might be worth checking out. Cycle Symphony is the name of the shop.
    I've actually been meaning to post something about this...thanks for posting. Rob is a great guy and we need an LBS in that area for us western PA folks who are east of Pittsburgh. So if you're in that area, check his shop out. It is right off of route 30 in Adamsburg next to the AutoMart.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Guys in the sales department at Speedgoat were supposed to ride current products they sold. When you take a 5k bike, the shop cost is around $3000-$3500 give or take. and a workers salary of slightly above minimum wage, the poor sales guy has no chance to get ahead. It's like if a poor kid wants to work at Abercrombie and Fitch, and wants to actually pay a few bills and survive without Governement assistance which everyone that works hard, should. I believe the coal mining companies in the 1800's had a similar business model that was very successful in retaining talent.
    Nothing personal, but this analogy defies logic. The 19th century workers who were captive to the mines or mills were in a completely different situation. Mostly immigrants that arrived penniless at their final destinations, they were already without options for other employment opportunities. Being paid in company script which could only be spent at the company store only compounded the existing problem. Someone working at Speedgoat (or A&F) chooses to do so. Their purchases of high end bikes (or overpriced clothing) were personal choices. These people could easily choose to quit and get comparable paying jobs at WalMart, Home Depot, Giant Eagle, etc. The reason they are not "getting ahead" in life has nothing to do with expensive bicycles or clothing, but everything to do with the fact they are working for "slightly above minimum wage".

Please understand I am in no way defending the actions of Speegoat's owners/management. I'm just simply stating that comparing the labor economic situation between the two different groups of workers is completely off base.

On an unrelated note, its nice to hear that there's a new shop for folks in the area.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    People can choose where they want to work in some areas, yes, but people in southwest, PA have been screwed over by big money for years, and believe it or not, jobs at Home Depot, Lowes and Giant Eagle are extremely hard to come by, especially if you have a college degree which makes me question the importance of a degree nowadays versus old fashioned hard work. These places don't want someone for the short term. No company enjoys spending money on training only to have the said employee leave when a better opportunity comes along. Who wants the stress of an upper management position without the salary? Yes, I'm quite aware that work conditions were not identical, but I said they were similar, especially when you were required to ride Current high end bikes to make money for the company. I said nothing about being able to live the lifestyle of upper management, but it would be nice to not struggle to pay basic living expenses and even put a few dollars aside. One of the guys who worked there was a regular bicycle commuter and couldn't even get their "HR Department" to help him with the necessary paperwork for the bicycle commuter tax credit. Granted it's not much but an incentive to ride your bike everyday.

I do agree that it is nice to have a solid LBS in the area and will surely give Rob my business. I just think all people in the bike industry should be valued a little more.
    Last edited by laurelhighlandsrider79; 04-13-2011 at 03:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Well, this thread has gotten somewhat off topic.

I was looking for suggestions on a shop b/c I reviewed Fox's instructions for rebuilding a TALAS fork and knew it would be money well spent (and time saved) to have it done professionally. Incidentally, I got it done all said for $80, and the shop, recommended by a few in this thread, did a good job.

I'm happy Rob is opening a shop in Adamsburg b/c that is reasonably close to home and I trust Rob. Laurelhighlandsrider, is Dan going to be working in that shop as well? I inferred that from your statement.

There aren't that many of us Western PA riders on mtbr, so I hate to see this thread devolve into an argument over what happened at Speedgoat and why. Whatever was going on there, I always liked the people I dealt with over the years and was sad to see them leave.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Threads always seem to go in all sorts of directions, it's inevitable. I chimed in recently when I finally saw this thread in March and like everyone else here, I had always received good service from the shop and sales guys and valued their expertise, which is why I took the time to post, but I never intended to argue with anyone and was only stating what I knew about the situation. The thread was already teetering on and off topic before I posted.

I just heard about Rob's shop so I don't know if Dan is working with him. It's great to see people working for themselves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast