Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Southern Lancaster County

I'm interested if there are any trails or areas for MTB riding in southern lancaster county. I'm from north west Lancaster, and usually go to Rocky Ridge or Redman, sometimes French Creek, but all of those are a decent distance and since I'm at school at Millersville, it'd be nice to go South towards Maryland.

Any ideas?

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    We ride at Lancaster County Park a lot...

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    That'd be right around the corner from me, but how would I find trail maps or any way of knowing where I'm going?

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Depends on where in SoLanCo you are but....

Fair Hill and White Clay can't be that far from you either...
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    just watch out for the mountain lions!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You can find the trail map for county park here

http://co.lancaster.pa.us/parks/lib/...rk_trails2.pdf

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody
    That'd be right around the corner from me, but how would I find trail maps or any way of knowing where I'm going?
    Again, prob easier to follow someone around who knows the loop... I might even go after work today, 10-13, if any one wants a tour...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarswheelies
    just watch out for the mountain lions!
    There was a story about an Amish farmer who shot at and wounded some critter in one of his fields. This animal then turned around and attacked him. He said it looked like a big cat and other folks suspected it was a mtn lion who had seen it.

This was in the Morning Call last week.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Only they haven't found the cat, nor has anyone in PA every turned proof that big cats are populating in PA. I few years ago a mountain lion from Canada or someplace like Kentucky (not really sure) migrated to Northern PA, but was shot and killed. It was determined the cat had not reproduced.

Bobcats have known populations in PA, and its far more likely to run into one of those than a mountain lion.

Did you see the scratches on the guy's arm? My dog can create scratches that big, and I'd think a pissed off mountain lion, fending for its life, would have ripped that dude apart.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My sister is a RN in the ER at the hospital. She said the pictures were not a good representation of the condition. He lost a lot of blood.

PPP- I thought the same thing when I saw the pictures, my dog has done worse to me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Myself, I'm not interested too much in the PA mtn lion debate. It seems to bring out some strong reactions in people though which I find interesting. I only mentioned it for fun.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I just think its funny because people make a big deal out of it, almost like they want a "cat hunt" or something, an excuse to carry rifles out into the fields as protection, or enlist the military with sniper rifles and night vision.

My GF's father get's all worked about cougars/lions, and uses it as an excuse to never go hiking without a gun on his hip, and thinks I'm crazy for going camping in Potter County without a weapon.

So no...I'm not too worried about a big cat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I used to live in Southern Arizona where they are all over the place. Once in a while you would hear about someone getting followed, but no attacks on people in the 5 years I was there.

They tend to go after small people btw. Adult men are usually larger than their normal prey.

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    Another vote for County Park. Lots of fun, and a good workout! Not far from mville, like 10 mins from campus with car. Head SE down 896 and check out White Clay, about an hour from millersville. Take 741E to 222 S to 372E and then 896S. If you want some good loop details, and where to park, for White Clay PM me. County is good, don't bother with maps, go explore, it's not that big and the trails are real short, but can be linked up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    "Mill-ers-ville we sing to theee, thoughts of peace and loy-al-ty...." I should have taken longer than 4 years to get my degree......When I was there, we rode along the creek where the golf course is now. There were some fun off-camber spots and some good dips along the way.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My girlfriend goes to Millersville now. I graduated from Millersville in '91.
    How are the trails there? We would be interested in riding there to check it out sometime. Unfortunately, this weekend (10-25/26) is already booked, but sometime soon anyway. We live in York.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I'm taking longer than 4 years for my degree, but only two at Millersville, and I'm living off campus.

I don't know of many trails around campus itself, but I don't have to time to ride them anyhow really.

Mountain Lion attack two weeks ago is now being called a hoax. Supposedly the blood that was on the guy was not from a mountain lion. I don't know the details, but I skeptical from the start.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I meant we'd be interested in trying the park.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Potter County !!!!

An old favorite!!! Ole Bull STP!!!!!! Any rides there? Can you ride any of the Susqhannock trail?

I'm in SoCal now. I do miss the old country, but I never saw any lions in Cross Fork! How about Sullivan county? "Loyalsoc" SP? creek?

Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody
    I just think its funny because people make a big deal out of it, almost like they want a "cat hunt" or something, an excuse to carry rifles out into the fields as protection, or enlist the military with sniper rifles and night vision.

My GF's father get's all worked about cougars/lions, and uses it as an excuse to never go hiking without a gun on his hip, and thinks I'm crazy for going camping in Potter County without a weapon.

So no...I'm not too worried about a big cat.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    dude...your about as off topic as me talking about mountain lions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Dude.....

Dude..... It's not off topic. See the quote I included. Someone mentioned Potter County and that caught my attention. Besides, "Mountain lion" was the topic I searched and found this thread. One of my local trails has a female lion that attacked a biker few weeks ago near JPL. I was stunned to hear about Lancaster County having them too.

Oh, my pop moved to Manhiem in '05, so i guess you can consider me from the area too. Nice to read about the local trails if I ever make it home to ride.

That's all form here. Happy trails to you.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Oh I got ya.

I haven't ridden very much in up-state PA.