mtbr member
    May 2009

South Western Pa Tires

I got a new trek ex8 right towards the end of last season and so far am loving it.

However, I am not really thrilled with the stock tires and know that I am not alone in this feeling, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for tires. I go to the University of Pittsburgh so I do most of my riding at Frick Park if that helps anyone get an idea of the trail conditions, and for those who don't, it is usually pretty dry, but being pa, it can get wet pretty quick. I feel like it is fair to say the ground is always moist.

Thanks,
    Phil

banned
    Apr 2009
    Look up the reviews for the Michelin A.T. I got mine on sale at REI for 12.99, NASHBAR has them for 17.99(1/2 Price).

mtbr member
    May 2009
    check out kenda nevegals, they are a pretty good tire. i think they've been voted best tire 10 years running. pretty cheap too in comparison to maxxis and some others. good tread pattern.

mtbr member
    I run WTB Moto Raptors (Race) front (2.4) and rear (2.24) and have been really happy. I do most of my riding at Laurel Mt/7S. So I am not sure how Frick would compare.

mtbr member
    The WTB Moto Raptors are awesome, I also like Conti Vertical Pros. I ride nearly everything in the SW area and the Vertical Pros and Moto Raptors work well everywhere.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ok cool. I was actually already considering the Michelin AT but I will definitely give the raptors an eye too. Do you have any complaints about the Michelin AT's? Or raptors for that matter?

mtbr member
    I've always had great success with Panaracer Fire XC pro's...it gets pretty muddy here as well..and soft and these thing grip well. Also, since they are not a "Super Knobby" they run real smooth on dry hard pack trails as well.