mtbr member
    Aug 2013

South Mtn Emmaus

First things first....holy rocks!!!
    Rode it for the first time today. Parts are a bit out of my league but challenges me so I'll definitely ride again....soon.
    What is the best way to ride it starting at orange trail? Clockwise or counter clockwise?

Thanks in advance. My ego will recover in a few days

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    When I was there I rode mostly clockwise and had a great time.

Of course I had to ride back up to the big rock section just so I could come back down the same way once.

I'm sick that way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    When I was there I rode mostly clockwise and had a great time.

Of course I had to ride back up to the big rock section just so I could come back down the same way once.

I'm sick that way.
    Yea I went up orange counter clockwise. I think that's the one you had to go up to go back down. All I can say is hike a bike and ouch a few times.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I traditionally ride clockwise. But you can do a figure 8 and whatnot. And zigzag back and forth when on the upper part of the mountain. I just like descending when going clockwise.

That trail is what really got me into rocky technical stuff. I can gleefully alternate between there and Sals every time I ride. If you like SME, have you been to Bear Creek?

Also, if you find SME a bit too technical for now, just ride Sals a bunch til you get comfortable there. SME just ups the rockiness a tad.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Also, if you find SME a bit too technical for now, just ride Sals a bunch til you get comfortable there. SME just ups the rockiness a tad.
    I wanted to ride Sals this week. Maybe Monday or Tuesday. Not to hijack the SME thread but any recommendations on how to ride Sals directionally?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Counterclockwise, basically turn right at all intersections. Park at the lot at the top of Dodson St if its your first time.

Also, on Wednesday there is a VMB group ride at South Mountain Bethlehem (Lehigh):

Rides & Events | VMB - Lehigh Valley, PA Mountain Bike Club
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Not sure how new you are to riding in the LV but basically I rotate between SME, Sals, SMB, Trexler, Nockamixon, Bear Creek. All are within 35 minutes of most parts of Bethlehem/Allentown.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Not sure how new you are to riding in the LV but basically I rotate between SME, Sals, SMB, Trexler, Nockamixon, Bear Creek. All are within 35 minutes of most parts of Bethlehem/Allentown.
    I grew up in Emmaus but didn't get into riding til I moved to Boyertown. I work in the valley so I can make it up anytime. Have ridden SME, Trex, Nox. Bear is close and apparently you have to know someone to get on SMB trails as they are highly secretive. All are on my list to ride.

If you want a new place to ride, try green lane park. It's my usual ride and about 20 miles south of the valley on 29.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    SMB is technically private property but if you are there nobody cares- go to the VMB group ride for a tour. It's a public club so the fact that it's at SMB tells you something. As I understand it, Lehigh just keeps it private for liability reasons but it's certainly well known by tons of people. Green Lane is fun! I rode there a few years ago.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    XJaredX, just rode Sals today. Good stuff and rocky as usual for this area. Thanks for the riding direction. Much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Loving this thread! I live in Jersey but go to school at Moravian and it's nice to hear about trails in the area. I generally ride Jordan Creek Parkway for a quick spin when I get the time, but I've been dabbling at South Mountain Bethlehem (the Lehigh one haha) and I'm loving it... Half the fun is trying to find trails.

Trexler, Nox, Sals and SME are also on my list of places I'd like to ride in the very near future

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaPanthers View Post
    Loving this thread! I live in Jersey but go to school at Moravian and it's nice to hear about trails in the area. I generally ride Jordan Creek Parkway for a quick spin when I get the time, but I've been dabbling at South Mountain Bethlehem (the Lehigh one haha) and I'm loving it... Half the fun is trying to find trails.

Trexler, Nox, Sals and SME are also on my list of places I'd like to ride in the very near future
    Nice! Do yourself a favor and go ride Trex. It is unlike anything else in the area. Then go ride Nox (just not when it is wet). Also unlike anything else.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    SMB is technically private property but if you are there nobody cares- go to the VMB group ride for a tour. It's a public club so the fact that it's at SMB tells you something. As I understand it, Lehigh just keeps it private for liability reasons but it's certainly well known by tons of people. Green Lane is fun! I rode there a few years ago.
    Actually- they do care. It is owned by Lehigh U, and their use policy is 'recreational for their students, faculty, staff, and surrounding community.' They allow riding there, but please be respectful when you do- they could close it down at any time. They generally don't want it publicized to keep traffic and impact as low as possible.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well, I thought that being respectful went without saying. I didn't go so far as to publish the location of it, I just mentioned there is a public group ride there. But you are definitely correct.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    rode there a few years ago, shot some video footage on the way down. Its a great place to shred some trail.

Mountain Biking South Mountain Bethlehem pa - YouTube

mtbr member
    Nice! Do yourself a favor and go ride Trex. It is unlike anything else in the area. Then go ride Nox (just not when it is wet). Also unlike anything else.
    I actually rode Trex for about 5 minutes... and then the skies opened up lol. I really need to get back there

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiek118 View Post
    rode there a few years ago, shot some video footage on the way down. Its a great place to shred some trail.

Mountain Biking South Mountain Bethlehem pa - YouTube
    This is what Lehigh doesn't want- advertising. Ride and enjoy, but please don't advertise it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    ok dankilling, this is a mountain bike forum about mountain biking. What should we talk about? I wasn't riding Lehigh anyways, it was South Mountain. If there are awesome trail to be ridden people are going to find out weather or not someone records it or not.
    It's not how many times you fall, it's how many times your willing to dust yourself off and get back up again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiek118 View Post
    ok dankilling, this is a mountain bike forum about mountain biking. What should we talk about? I wasn't riding Lehigh anyways, it was South Mountain. If there are awesome trail to be ridden people are going to find out weather or not someone records it or not.
    Do what you want- I'm just passing the information. The more exposure it gets, the more chances Lehigh will want to shut it down. Nothing more, nothing less.