W.M.A.

Good job! Sonoco/Downingtown Access

this is from an email i received... thanks to all that put a LOT of hard work into getting this done!
    __________________________________________________ _____________________

To everyone who supported our efforts to promote mountain biking at the 238 acre Sonoco property owned by East Bradford Township, our voices were heard. The supervisors approved a master plan for that property that includes an extensive trail system for hikers, mountain bikes (pedal bikes), and horses. The only catch is that they are relying on volunteers to help build and maintain the trails.

Please see the message below about the kick off meeting for anyone interested in lending a hand to establish this trail system.

The property will be open to the public either partially or entirely in a month or so, and I’ll send updates to anyone who received this unless you reply requesting to be removed from my list. Hopefully we’ll be able to offer mountain bike clinics, family events, and/or a fund raising race at some point in the near future.

THANK YOU for your support, and I hope to see you at this meeting or at a scheduled work day in the woods.

Dave Baxter

meeting info ----

East Bradford Township will be hosting a “Sonoco Property Kick-off” meeting on Thursday August 9 at 7:30 pm. The meeting will be held at the Township building (address below).

A draft agenda is below. The main purpose of the meeting is to unite our primary volunteer resources – the Chester County Trails Club and the West Chester Cycling Club – and provide an overview of the trail building project at Sonoco. We will establish a volunteer work schedule and review the project phases.

This meeting is open to the public. Anyone interested in participated in this effort is welcome. It would be a good idea to bring your calendars because we will have a sign-up sheet for work days at the meeting.

Sonoco Property Volunteers Kick-Off Meeting
    August 9, 2007
    7:30 PM
    East Bradford Township Building

1. Introduction
    a. Key people
    b. History of property purchase and ownership
    c. Purpose of the trail feasibility study
    d. Future of the property

2. Volunteers
    a. Roles and responsibilities
    b. Training and safety

3. Trail construction
    a. Sustainable trails and trail building philosophy
    b. Trail tools and safety

4. Work schedule
    a. Start date (tentatively the week of August 20)
    b. Phases of construction
    c. Days/times for work days
    d. Maximum and minimum volunteers needed for work days
    e. Identify project leaders
    f. Refreshments during work days

5. Questions/answers

6. Schedule sign-up

mtbr member
    Great work! I received an email about this today. Not sure where its located but I know its in the general area. Look forward to helping on some level in the near future.
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    where exactly is this land?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Very cool- always glad to hear about a place being opened instead of closed!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I am confused. Where is this at?

W.M.A.
    This is a rather old, albeit clandestine trail system. It is located in the heart of downingtown, pa adjacent rt 322. If you are at all familiar with the area, it is often referred to the trestle bridge, covered bridge or skelp level trails.

Once it is all actually legal and more info is available I’ll be sure to post more info… this way everyone can lend a hand building the system.

These trails are some of the best in the area – I believe partially because they have been the local private stash that the general public hasn’t been on much – hopefully they will remain as good, if not better, now that the masses will be able to find them.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Gotcha... listed as the "gibson covered bridge" trails in the trail reviews. They are fun trails, for sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Wheeee I live in Bell Tavern. Anytime I can leave my house on my bike and make it to the trail that fast it makes me smile. Make sure to keep us informed as I am sure a few of us locals would love to help.
    I live a life of paranoia. It keeps me safe!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    good news!! i'll be sure to pitch in.