Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Reputation: bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,347

    Some shots of FR on the Moon

    I was out for a ride today and managed to run into some interesting trail gnomes, not the usual ones. These weren't working in rock, they were working in wood, most...

    TTF 0 - the qualifier



    TTF 1 - the approach



    TTF 1 - view from the top, "Got Commitment" ?



    TTF 1 - landing zone



    TTF 2 - runout



    TTF 3 - from the top of the kicker looking back at the approach from TTF 2



    Of course, pics with riders are more fun ...



    ... need more air in the tires?



    Of course, what could be more fun than some videos?

























    TTF 2-3-4








  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    66
    Very nice!

  3. #3
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7,034
    Tedster:

    Great pics and narration!

    Thanks!

    NEPMTBA
    THERE"S DIRT ON THE TRAILS

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JeffSkisMontana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,863

    Nice!

    Thanks for sharing the pics and vids. That last vid.....what a drop that is...vid does not do it justice in terms of how high that drop is!!! Saw it in person this morning....wow!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

  5. #5
    Go for the throat
    Reputation: JD Risk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    171

    Trail Testing Notes

    Nice running into you today, Bear. Good job on the pics and vids. For those who are interested, the trail (if it can even be called one at this point) was running really smooth, despite how muddy it was. I'd say number 1 is the most difficult, considering you have to hit it with a lot more speed than you'd think, and the landing is a bit off camber and tricky to regain control before you come up on number 2. Your best bet is to stay to the right on number 1. Number 2 is set up perfectly if you land a bit to the left and catch the berm before it sends you off the kicker of number 3. If you steer clear (to the left) of the rock in the landing you should be fine, otherwise, the rock soaks up all your speed. Number 2 is around an 8 foot drop if you hit it right, but it's anywhere form 7 to 10 depending on your speed. If you manage to land on the tranny of number 4, with another two pedal strokes you have just enough speed to clear number 5. Once it dries out, you won't need to pedal at all. It's probably about a 15 foot gap, although there's about six feet worth of table in place in case you come up short. Shouldn't need any more than that. That's the one we were working on today, Lee. I think it worked out pretty well. I might have time to swing by tomorrow (mid morning) and I'd like to go over a few options for where we can go next, if you have time. I'd love to see Tyler hit this line now. Anyway, we have some great terrain left to work with and I kind of like the idea of working 50 feet at a time.

    Lee and everyone else, we can't thank you enough for all of your help and the opportunities you provided us by going out of your way to keep in good standing with the park officials and the county. When we finish this line, and even in the interim, you can count on us to help out with anything that will keep MTB in good graces with the powers that be. And for anyone that plans on riding any of this stuff, use some common sense and know what you are getting into before you hit it. It's not that big or committing, but it's pretty technical because things come up on you quickly.

  6. #6
    Did you ever have ham?
    Reputation: motoman465's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,646
    Those sure are some great vids and pics, Bear. I couldn't have said it better, Jeff. Even though the pics and vids are really good, you just have to see this stuff in person to appreciate how nuts some people really are...LMAO! I have a difficult time walking up and down this hill. Of course I am fat, out of shape, and a recent non-smoker. It is awesome when you watch these guys do what they do best, though. Plus they have an amazing Rottweiler that loves to play with and eat sticks...LOL!

  7. #7
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7,034

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by motoman465
    Those sure are some great vids and pics, Bear. I couldn't have said it better, Jeff. Even though the pics and vids are really good, you just have to see this stuff in person to appreciate how nuts some people really are...LMAO! I have a difficult time walking up and down this hill. Of course I am fat, out of shape, and a recent non-smoker. It is awesome when you watch these guys do what they do best, though. Plus they have an amazing Rottweiler that loves to play with and eat sticks...LOL!
    BDT:

    I don't know dude I think your too hard on yourself. Just think back to your first day riding my singlespeed, then on your new bike and how everything was so new to you in the great world of mt biking! Look how far you have come today and the stuff you can now ride and do on a mt bike and with all the great work you do building and maintaining trails! Your millions of pics are great too! The other night on the Wednesday night ride you were following us and right there when we stopped! It doesn't come easy but your on it 100%! I think your world is about to really expand! You have lost over 30 pounds, quit smoking and helped many many people!

    Kinda sounds to me like your right on track(or trail as we say)


  8. #8
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7,034

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by JD Risk
    Nice running into you today, Bear. Good job on the pics and vids. For those who are interested, the trail (if it can even be called one at this point) was running really smooth, despite how muddy it was. I'd say number 1 is the most difficult, considering you have to hit it with a lot more speed than you'd think, and the landing is a bit off camber and tricky to regain control before you come up on number 2. Your best bet is to stay to the right on number 1. Number 2 is set up perfectly if you land a bit to the left and catch the berm before it sends you off the kicker of number 3. If you steer clear (to the left) of the rock in the landing you should be fine, otherwise, the rock soaks up all your speed. Number 2 is around an 8 foot drop if you hit it right, but it's anywhere form 7 to 10 depending on your speed. If you manage to land on the tranny of number 4, with another two pedal strokes you have just enough speed to clear number 5. Once it dries out, you won't need to pedal at all. It's probably about a 15 foot gap, although there's about six feet worth of table in place in case you come up short. Shouldn't need any more than that. That's the one we were working on today, Lee. I think it worked out pretty well. I might have time to swing by tomorrow (mid morning) and I'd like to go over a few options for where we can go next, if you have time. I'd love to see Tyler hit this line now. Anyway, we have some great terrain left to work with and I kind of like the idea of working 50 feet at a time.

    Lee and everyone else, we can't thank you enough for all of your help and the opportunities you provided us by going out of your way to keep in good standing with the park officials and the county. When we finish this line, and even in the interim, you can count on us to help out with anything that will keep MTB in good graces with the powers that be. And for anyone that plans on riding any of this stuff, use some common sense and know what you are getting into before you hit it. It's not that big or committing, but it's pretty technical because things come up on you quickly.
    JD:

    It's great to work with fine folks like your crew and we're glad to have you at the mOOn doing what you do! The way you build and teach safety is utmost top level! It is a lot of work designing and constructing Free Ride sections. Once completed it will be a permanent addition to Moon Lakes trail system and attract more park users to another opportunity at the park!

    Thanks much!

  9. #9
    Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Reputation: bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,347
    The only commend i'd make on FR line 1 was that I really appreciate and think it's great that there's enough space between the features to both tackle them individually, and/or bail out between. Starting the line doesn't commit you to the full series without redeption.

    I was dreaming of No. 1 last night, not sure I have the stones for No. 2 - or when I will!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    68

    nice

    i saw these trails in another post and i couldn't understand why they were being called FR trails( i am on the other side of the state so i am not familiar with the area). I get it now. Props. Everything looks really smooth and well built.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    71
    Thanks Ted. Nice pictures and videos.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    55
    i've never come across this section at moon what trail is it located on?

  13. #13
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7,034

    ... and if we just ...

    Quote Originally Posted by kish0000
    i've never come across this section at moon what trail is it located on?
    Off the NFS trail. Are you familiar with the mOOn? I could give you more direction if your not!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JeffSkisMontana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,863

    Its New!

    Brand new...and unfinished.....it starts off of NFS(commonly referred to as the downhill trail)....up by the white water tower.....maybe 80 yds in from tower on NFS...it cuts down to the left.....walk it first.....
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    55
    yup I know where you are talking about I havent been down that trail since the summer. I saw lee and the gang heading up that way before I got on trex2 today I guess I should have followed them instead

  16. #16
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7,034

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by kish0000
    yup I know where you are talking about I havent been down that trail since the summer. I saw lee and the gang heading up that way before I got on trex2 today I guess I should have followed them instead
    OK, I didn't know that was you behind that screen name! Yes, you know the mOOn!... LOL

    Nice to see & talk to you today!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    55
    same man I figured I should make an account so I can stay in touch and find the next work day ha

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •