Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Some Raystown Questions

Im trying to make a trip out to Raystown Lake sometime this week. How are the trail conditions there right now. Here in NJ we just got blasted with rain tonight. Are they dry or do they dry quick?

And what about hunting in the area?

Also when I get there, is there a shop where I can pick up a map?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Chriffer and I put in 40 miles there yesterday, rode 10am to 5:50pm, not a drop of rain by that time. Looked like a storm coming in behind us as we left to head home (eastward) but things were dusty/dry everywhere. And by "everywhere" I mean the only trails we did NOT ride were Osprey and Doe.

>>> complete trail map link <<<

I'm guessing it would take a lot of rain to make a lasting difference - they'll drain instantly there and should be good in short order after a rain BUT be wary of the leaf cover on some trails as the leaves could retain moisture and make it slick.

If you haven't been there before, just remember that Speed Kills and you can rail FAST there and get a nice surprise on some of the black trails.

From signage on the trails, there is no hunting in that rec area. We saw no signs to the contrary yesterday and a regular slow-trickle of other cyclists out too.

I don't know of shops in Huntingdon (but there must be one) but the bike shops in State College may have trail maps. You could also print out the PDF I linked above as it's the same as the maps that are posted irregularly on the trails. Yes, there are full-color large-format trail maps signs both at the trailheads ( 7 Points parking and Baker's Hollow ) and at a smattering of intersections.

FWIW:

- Baker's Hollow lot is more central, we parked there and rode the south-west side and back, topped up supplies, and then rode the north-east side.

- Hydro Loop is silly fun, and I think most-fun in counter-clockwise direction

- Loco-Motive / Berry Patch trails seem like they're downhill in both directions

- Ray's Revenge was silly-fun going clockwise, with over 5 hours in the saddle. Think about it.

- If you go counter-clockwise on Sleek Dog, serously watch your butt on some of the turns. There some real high-speed turns-on-crests that can put you into the trees pretty easily.

The "excessive" route that Chriffer and I took goes...

Stony Trail - Dark Hollow - Barrel Bay (clockwise) - Dirt Surfer - Allegheny (counter-clockwise) - Dirt Surfer - Shade Trail - Dark Hollow - Stony Trail

Buck - Alle - Grippis - Ridge - - Bery Patch - Loco Motive - Red Legs (counter clockwise) - Grippis (up) - Red Legs (counter clockwise) - Loco Motive - Berry Patch - Ray's Revengs - [up/down connector to Berry Patch/Sidewinder/Ray's] - Sidewinder - Osprey down - Hydro Loop (counter clockwise) - Eagle Trail (clockwise) - Switch - Sleek Dog (counter clockwise) - Switch - Fawn - Buck - [end]

Last edited by bear; 10-12-2010 at 07:33 AM.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lawndart
    Im trying to make a trip out to Raystown Lake sometime this week. How are the trail conditions there right now. Here in NJ we just got blasted with rain tonight. Are they dry or do they dry quick?

And what about hunting in the area?

Also when I get there, is there a shop where I can pick up a map?
    was there last saturday. trails are 100 percent dry when I went. They can take lots of water, and are rideable even in the rain. I rode there on day after 1inch of rain where it rained another 1.5 inches and the trails never got 'soft" it was like riding a dry trail except the grip got better.

hunting happens on every day but sunday, wear orange if you ride on other days.

no maps but you could print this one out.

http://www.boxerscafe.com/map.htm

FYI on the leaf cover, the local trail crew use leaf blowers on the trails to clear them

I have never seen that before.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You can get real nice maps at Rothrock Outfitters in town. They are closed on Sundays though, just an FYI. But I think you can order them off their website: http://www.rothrock-outfitters.com/d...php?prodid=185

I am going back a second time towards the end of the month, last time I went alone but this time taking 5 friends who I recently converted into mountain bikers so I am stoked.

As far as the trail maintenance, last time I was there I was hugely impressed by the cleanup going on. It is quite inspiring, if I lived closer than 3.5 hours away I'd totally want to help them. That place overall is top notch.

Although I think I may have overhyped it to my friends, I may have come across painting a picture that it's like Pandora from Avatar, but with bike trails.

As far as the route I took (I only had about 4 hours and I am in so-so shape) I went:

Park at Susquenock. Buck Trail > Allie Trail > Grippis Trail > Locomotive > Berry Patch > Ray's Revenge > Sidewinder > Hydro Loop (counterclockwise) > Eagle Trail > Switch Trail > Doe Trail > Buck Trail > End.

I think I will take my friends same route except instead of Locomotive > Berry Patch I will do Ridge Trail.

Two suggestions, regardless of which way you go: Do Ray's Revenge clockwise, as stated in an earlier post, and if you do Hydro Loop, do that counter-clockwise. The other trails seemed like they'd be fun whichever way you went, but on those two trails I was happy I went the way I suggest. Some locals confirmed that Hydro Loop is way better counter-clockwise.
    Last edited by XJaredX; 10-12-2010 at 08:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

hunting

so there isnt a real clear answer for hunting, is there. I dont feel like getting blasted by tommy hunter mistaking me and my Titus as a 4pointer.

Theres no hunting sundays but I;ll be going mid week

What bruise?
    Donít worry about the rain, everyone is right, there are only a few places that it even gets soft and all it really does is improve traction.

That leaf blowing was on Rayís revenge, just below that we did a little work, added a little split to improve the drainage and believe me itís a lot more fun going high then diving back onto the old trail.

Eagle is officially closed as of today 10/12/10. There may be a little impact on Sidewinder too but I was unclear on that. There will be logging done and the trail will not be maintained until they are through and the Corp approves of the way they repair their damageÖwhich means removing the big stuff and walking way, but I digress.

Rothrock Outfitters is in Huntingdon, they have a full service shop and is the home of the Raystown Area Mountain Bike Association. You can get good advice from people who ride all the trails regularly and they have maps for purchase.

What bruise?
    Yes, Hunting every day but Sunday. Corps "suggest" that you wear bright colors (Blaze Orange) and they have no intention on closing the trails for hunting season.

Right now it's Archery season for deer. Also small game and turkey are open so there should be no high powered rifles yet. Because of the trail use there isn't much hunting in this area anymore. There are still about 28000 other acres are hunted more heavily.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Echo2, if I am planning on going Sunday October 24th, the trails should still be open right? I mean assuming weather is good. I didn't know if they closed them at any point for anything other than weather.

What bruise?
    Only Eagle will be closed and that will be due to logging for an "undetermined" length of time. Not sure if Osprey or Sidewinder will be effected or not but there isn't a closure planned and that will be the only way into Hydro. The plan is to do everything to keep them clear and rideable.

The trails aren't actually ever officially closed other that logging. When major work on the entire trail section is planned signs for trail work will be posted at the main intersections and hope people will use commons sense.

Sunday afternoon is generally the time you will find some minor maintenance going on but the trails are always open. Beside the excitement of the trails, the next best thing is to have a rider slowdown or stop, just to say thank you. It's also great to see someone rip through a section that was just completed. So...enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'll be there tomorrow (wed 10/13) around 2:30-ish if anyone is interested. Might be meeting a few other folks as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    BTW, anybody have a preference in regard to direction on Ray'sRevenge?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougr
    BTW, anybody have a preference in regard to direction on Ray'sRevenge?
    There have been two people so far in this thread suggesting clockwise

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks! saw that after more careful reading of the previous posts. Agree that Hydro is fun CC. Have not done Ray's yet and really looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Had the privilege of riding these super fun trails a couple of weeks ago during a transcontinental road trip. Picked the map up on the way out of town from Rothrock for a souvenir and noticed it had recommendations for best flow directions. Wish I'd have had that first although after riding lots of them in both directions, the only ones it did seem to be a big difference on were Ray's (especially) and Hydro.

Hope those trail corridors get well-protected during logging and thank you all back there for your fine efforts! Hope I can ever get back!

mtbr member
    I was out there yesterday on the South trails, which were damp but not at all muddy or wet.

When riding the North trails, I'm partial to doing a large clockwise loop starting from Buck. That puts you on Ray's Revenge going clockwise as well.

Hydro is fun either direction IMO, but going clockwise starts you out pretty fast.

Given that they're logging Osprey, I'd avoid that trail and take Eagle back up to the Baker's Hollow parking lot (and hit Sleek Dog on the way there).

There are no plans to close the trails during hunting season (but that could change). The Army Corps recently did a study using cameras to see how many riders were wearing orange (or a similarly bright color). Fortunately there was a high enough percentage to argue that the cyclists are doing their part to stay safe during hunting season and keep the trails open.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Note that there was signage on the kiosk that Eagle was closed as of 10/12, I don't recall why or for how long. Maybe the aformentioned logging?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Short rant...

It is Eagle that is closed due to logging.

As others have stating that you can ride extremely fast here so please be careful. Most accidents occur on Ray's Revenge and the rangers are called in weekly to this trail. It would be shame to see a place be at jeopardy for someone getting in over their head on these trails. It is very easy to get to far forward on the bike and be bucked over the bars. The Raystown club has been working on this but unfortunately there is a lot to do and they have limited active members. Work has been done on some of the areas to help this but it seems to me that some areas may have been rushed when it came to the layout and spacing of some of the rollers. So it will take a lot of hand work to reshape these machine built trails unless a machine can be brought back in. Just my opinion thought.

I was up this past weekend for IMBA trail work weekend and the guys from IMBA commented several times about how they dropped these trails on the locals and left. So when riding there take a minute to clean out a drainage area or move a branch it all helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craftbrewed
    It is Eagle that is closed due to logging.
    Thanks for the correction. I've avoided both Eagle and Osprey since they started logging. Hopefully the damage to the trails won't be too bad.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    craftbrewed: What you say is very important! There's a reason both those trails are lined black on the maps. Of course, that also means they can be way-fun.

Just, remember, watch out for the signs - if you see the yellow sign below take note and apply brakes appropriately.

disclaimer: The contusion above happened while free-riding at Diablo Freeride Park on Saturday the 9th, *not* at the Allegrippis trails on Monday the 11th! It was too good a picture to skip though ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo2
    Only Eagle will be closed and that will be due to logging for an "undetermined" length of time. Not sure if Osprey or Sidewinder will be effected or not but there isn't a closure planned and that will be the only way into Hydro. The plan is to do everything to keep them clear and rideable.

The trails aren't actually ever officially closed other that logging. When major work on the entire trail section is planned signs for trail work will be posted at the main intersections and hope people will use commons sense.

Sunday afternoon is generally the time you will find some minor maintenance going on but the trails are always open. Beside the excitement of the trails, the next best thing is to have a rider slowdown or stop, just to say thank you. It's also great to see someone rip through a section that was just completed. So...enjoy!
    If you are one of the people that helps take care of the trails, I just want to say thanks.. My wife and I had a GREAT time riding there a few weeks ago. If we can make it work, we hope to come out and help with spring cleanup next spring.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hit Raystown on Wednesday and, as usual, the trails were spectacular!
    My route:

Buck>Allie>RedLegs>Ridge>Rays>Loco-motive>RedLegs>Grippis>Allie>Buck

Hopefully, I'll be back again in November.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I got an email from one of the Army Corp. of Engineers people yesterday saying that they have decided there is no need to close the trails to bikers due to hunter conflicts this year. So that's cool.

What I don't get is where on the trails anyone would WANT to hunt.

mtbr member
    I'm heading out tonight and riding Raystown tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the info in this thread it was most helpful.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Try to get there early in the AM. At least upon my last and only experience, I started at 9am and had the whole place pretty much to myself. People started showing up in big numbers right when I finished around 1pm

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    has anyone been up to Raystown lately? curious what the trail conditions are like. heard they had some snow up there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast