mtbr member

Some questions about the Wiss...

I don't want to derail anymore threads so I figured I would start one with my questions. I read everything that is written about the Wiss from other riders and I feel after riding there for two seasons now I STILL do not know my way around. I hear tales of "Devils Pool" and the "Spaghetti Bowl" and have yet to fine them. I regularly ride from the ball fields at Livezey Lane (East?) along the river. This past week I road further east than ever before past a few greens on a golf course until things got very windy with more branches off of the main trail than normal. All of a sudden I was on a paved trail and popped out onto Lincoln Dr. I was pushing a new freeride bike that I had built so by the time I got back to the ball field area I was spent (first long ride on a 40+ lbs bike) so that was it for the day.

Question is...is there a lot to be found in this area? Am I missing cool stuff :P I have also ridden the other side of the river from Valley Green to Bells Mill and back to Valley Green on the FD side. After living in the area for a while...I have to say riding there solo I am always looking over my shoulder and not really enjoying myself all that much. I am shortly switching to a normal M-F job and hope to hook up with some of you on Sunday mornings
    ------------------------------------------------------------

He who dies with the most toys wins...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I'm interested to know as well. My usual route is to do the whole Yellow and White trails as loops from Lincoln dr. to Bells Mill. I think I've hit just about every legal side trail in between in the course of exploring. I usually do 3 hour rides, and I've gotten the full loop down to just over 1:35, so after that I usually ride random loops off side trails and accross Forbidden dr. I still have never seen the bowl as shown in some of the Wiss. videos. Are these on illegal trails?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    spagetti bowl is not on legal trails and neither is devil's pool.

i dunno what you guys mean about wiss being unsafe either... not only do i bkike alone there all the time but my girlfirend runs alone in the woods often. no problems...

i am hideously busy through june but i would gladly do a big tour of wissy sometime later this summer to show everyone what i know.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    i dunno what you guys mean about wiss being unsafe either... not only do i bkike alone there all the time but my girlfirend runs alone in the woods often. no problems....
    Agreed, Max. Lots of unfounded paranoia re: Wissahickon safety issues.

It seems to me that thieves, as a general rule (and contrary to 'urban legend), do not go lurking in the woods - waiting, w/ the patience of a bowhunter - in the hopes that some poor, tired, SOB "prey" might come riding along. There're far easier targets roaming the streets, and more poorly secured bikes in the city than one can count.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Freshly Fujified

au contraire....

Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Agreed, Max. Lots of unfounded paranoia re: Wissahickon safety issues.

It seems to me that thieves, as a general rule (and contrary to 'urban legend), do not go lurking in the woods - waiting, w/ the patience of a bowhunter - in the hopes that some poor, tired, SOB "prey" might come riding along. There're far easier targets roaming the streets, and more poorly secured bikes in the city than one can count.
    It is a well known and documented fact that mountain bikers, hikers and joggers carry large quantities of unmarked currency, expensive jewelry, bearer bonds, and other items of value when they head for the trails at Wiss. This makes us all potentail victims of those crafty thieves who lie in wait
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    as a point of reference the devil's pool is where i put the black dot to the right of #13 and the spaghetti bowl is near #29
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Thanks for the map Lance...great reference points. I guess I have come close...need to keep a better eye out next time through there.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

He who dies with the most toys wins...