Shrinking Clyde Rider :-)

So we did Tour de Tykes ...

Steve and I entered the Tour de Tykes race that was held this weekend. This was my first MTB race ever. It was hot and humid with lots of climbing which made it tough on a 1x9, props to the single speeders.

I'll let Steve fill in the blanks from there...

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

TT:

Good job!

Nice to see ya Rac'in! Heck 1x9 is tough there you did great!

mtbr member

Good job! Nice Going on your first race...

Well it was quite a day out there...hot and humid...good to hear you both finished and had some fun. Lets post up some pics if you have any....Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

The suspense is building...

haha oooh ow, ha oooh ow

aka Zucchini Steve
    Sep 2005
    This was my second Tour de Tykes and I ended up finishing in something like 65 mins. It was pretty damn hot out there today. Tom had a better time, did less miles, and got more stitches than me too! Luckily the race is held about a minute from the Geisinger ER so I got to hang out and snap some shots as Tom got fixed up. Doesn't look like Tom will be on the bike next weekend so I'll definitely be looking to hook up with you Mt. Top guys for a ride Jeff.

them darn slippery rocks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    My bro-in-law was one of the medics there today- apparently at least 8 were sent to the ER between broken bones, stitches, and heat sickness.... personally I took a DNF because I popped hard around mile 7 and never recovered.. Damn heat- bring on 'cross season! Congrats to the finishers, you earned it today!

mtbr member

Nice Pictures SH!!

Yes the obligatory ER shots! Looks like a nasty divot taken out of your knee...good you got it cleaned up professionally ...lots of bacteria growing on those hot and humid days...

trail addict
    I signed up for both the downhill shuttle on Sat and the Beginner XC on Sun.

It was my worst mt biking weekend ever, no offense to TdT guys.

I have been looking forward to the shuttle ever since I got my 6 inch bike 2 months ago. Turns out things didn't go so well and we only got one shuttle plus some trailriding. They refunded registration, though, so no big deal.

Sunday I pull up to the starting line, look down and see a flat front tire. Five minute mass start, so I fly back to my 4runner only to realize i had no tubes or patches. Pumped it up as hard as I could stand, started dead last and was passing people like crazy, I felt like a jerk because fast beginners were supposed to be up front, but then my tire went flat again just before I got to the first power line crossing. By the time I walked back down, the clock already read over 50 minutes.

Yeah, I didn't bring spares or tools because I always just figured that if I had a mech problem, I would take the DNF-after all, I ride there all the time anyway. I was just mad because I wasn't expecting a problem AT THE STARTING LINE.

Anyway, the TdT guys are cool. It would have been great race, I was looking forward to the mass start. And we did hit some cool new stuff I didn't know about on our one good shuttle run on Sat. Still looking forward to next year, probably sport class, even though I doubt I could ride 12-13 Geisinger miles nonstop.... we'll see.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

aka Zucchini Steve
    Sep 2005
    Uncle Six Pack - are there any good trail maps or group rides of those trails? Tom & I want to get back out there... but it seems like there are a good number of side trails and don't want to get too lost out there.

- Steve

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Holy...

I think Tom might have had a little Susquehanna River Devil in his pocket! You guys sure are troopers. Hopefully you have more "GOOD" luck at the next event!

Hang in there! Best wishes to Recover quick!

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenhuey@stevenhuey.net
    Uncle Six Pack - are there any good trail maps or group rides of those trails? Tom & I want to get back out there... but it seems like there are a good number of side trails and don't want to get too lost out there.

- Steve
    There are some pretty good maps on the TdT site-the map of the expert course basically covers every trail out there (although some are on private property and only opened for race weekend). Now I say "pretty good" because I know most of it like the back of my hand, so when I look at the map, I know what I am looking at. Other's may just see a bunch of incoherent squiggles and contour lines...

There are a bunch of guys who have been biking there a long time (and built/maintain a lot), but no official group rides that I know of. On weekday afternoons/evenings and anytime on weekends, you are likely to find someone near the bottom of the jeep road who may be able to give you some trail advice.

If you want to come along with us sometime, just let me know. I live in Bloomsburg (about 15 min from the trails), so I go a lot. Sometimes on the hardtail to crank out the miles, other times on the dually for more of a "fun ride".

I hope your bud isn't out of the saddle for too long with those stitches!

Jamie
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

aka Zucchini Steve
    Sep 2005
    UncleSixPack - thanks for the details. It looks like Tom is going to be off the bike for at least a week, two at the worst. When we've got time to head back out to Danville we'll take a look at the TdT maps and maybe send you a PM here to make plans.

Thanks,
    Steve

BIKE!!
    Nov 2005

Sounds like fun

Hey there,

I am down for traveling to Danville. I lived down there for a few years so i know the trails well. We will drag Lee along and make him bring his single speed there. haha

Gary

I'd say two weeks until I'm back on my bike. The stitches are in the wrong place. Steps are a hassle, so I can only imagine trying to ride my bike. I would surly pop a stitch. I would love to ride the trails in Danville again, without the humidity would be nice.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by WolfmansBrother8
    Hey there,

I am down for traveling to Danville. I lived down there for a few years so i know the trails well. We will drag Lee along and make him bring his single speed there. haha

Gary
    Ya, Ya, Ya! Hammer!

We will see who is the first to ride the new natural skinny my friend! I can tell ya it won't be Winny Stinny even though that would be a good test for the healed collar bone! Maybe arm warmers would help! I have a friendly bet Tyler will not only ride the new Skinny but wheelie off the end! Freek'in KID!

If I bring the single speed, I'm riding(Ha. Ha.. aka "Walking") in front and you all have to suffer the pace of 1.5 MPH!

Turbo Tom still has one good leg! I say we duct tape him to his bike, remove the non used pedal, and ride!

Tom, you should go back to breaking the bike you were better off!

Who's got the Donuts?

Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA

Tom, you should go back to breaking the bike you were better off!
    Well I'm 2 and 1 this year, with the bike in the lead. If the hospital bill is bigger than the bike repair bill, I'll call it even.

W.M.A.
    i too got to spend some quality time in the giessinger er... same doc did my stitches.

i am now in paoli hospital with an infection in that same arm... fun!

I would have to say yours look much worse than mine.

Scott was a cool guy. Kinda neat having a fellow biker and car guy stitch me up. Did you have a parade of people coming in, including a female cyclist (she worked there too).

Good luck with your recovery

W.M.A.
    yeah - it was a cool place - they even set me up with a nice shower... i asked for twin blonde nurses and a sponge bath, but they werent that accomadating... oh well.

there were aslo a father and daughter that got pretty banged up - she broke elbow and needed surgery and he broke a collar bone... i feel sorry for their wife/mom!

mtbr member

Looks the Tour of the Tykes...

dealt out some serious Sh""! You guys won't be ridin' for a few weeks...

mtbr member
    I was VERY GRATEFUL I made it through this year without incident...other than feeling like I was going to die from the humidity...did better than I expected in SS class...

I know the ER from 2 yrs ago...collar bone on the MUDDY downhill...what an experience...I though "NO PEDDALING" would be the ticket..this was only my 4th MTB race ever...what a dumba** I was huh....live and learn...

The Tour de Tykes gang is awesome, they really put on a to notch event...will keep coming back...

Ed