Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dr. Bike
    Mar 2006

Ski Denton this weekend

Anyone going to Ski Denton this weekend?

I've never been there and trying to decide between there or Snowshoe for the holiday weekend. Anyone been there and can tell me what it's like?
    If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot !

mtbr member
    Never been there, but I too wonder what the trails are like. I was thinking of trying the sprint mtn bike race or whatever they are calling it. It might be fun if its an XC course.

-Joe

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by david101372
    Anyone going to Ski Denton this weekend?

I've never been there and trying to decide between there or Snowshoe for the holiday weekend. Anyone been there and can tell me what it's like?
    I'm heading up there with my wife for riding on Saturday and Sunday. I was there once last year and really enjoyed it. I may do the beginner DH race on Sunday as long as the course isn't too advanced for me. I'd definitely consider myself a novice mountain biker in general, and a beginner DH rider, and there were plenty of trails for me to ride. There are quite a few black diamond trails that were pretty steep and sketchy, if that's your thing. There were also XC trails at the top of the mountain, but I didn't ride too many of them, only ones that led to the DH trails. The mountain is in a state park so I'm sure there is a network of trails that are ridable.

I'd venture a guess that Snowshoe is a bit more developed for DH/FR, just because they've had MTBing longer. From pics and vids I've seen Snowshoe has more man-made obstacles. Although, apparently Denton has been making improvements so I don't know what they have in store for this season.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Kona rep just gave us confirmation on attending! That's reps from Jamis and Kona now...and Allegany Outdoors and Country Ski & Sport for vendor tents. Trails are shaping up nice and dried out great...spending some time this week with the equipment working on dirt features...birm and bank turns, and some table-top type stuff. See you all this weekend!

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by denton
    Kona rep just gave us confirmation on attending! That's reps from Jamis and Kona now...and Allegany Outdoors and Country Ski & Sport for vendor tents. Trails are shaping up nice and dried out great...spending some time this week with the equipment working on dirt features...birm and bank turns, and some table-top type stuff. See you all this weekend!
    That sounds awesome. I'm really looking forward to riding this weekend. By any chance, will there be demos/rentals available from any of these vendors? My wife rides a XC hardtail and I'd love to put her on a full-suspension for a bit.

Also, would it be possible for you to give some info on the beginner DH course? Specifically, what trails does it use, what drops and other features are there, etc. I'd appreciate any input you can provide. I'd really like to do the race, it's sound like it would be fun, but I don't want to get over my head in terrain that's beyond my abilities. See you this weekend.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    That sounds awesome. I'm really looking forward to riding this weekend. By any chance, will there be demos/rentals available from any of these vendors? My wife rides a XC hardtail and I'd love to put her on a full-suspension for a bit.

Also, would it be possible for you to give some info on the beginner DH course? Specifically, what trails does it use, what drops and other features are there, etc. I'd appreciate any input you can provide. I'd really like to do the race, it's sound like it would be fun, but I don't want to get over my head in terrain that's beyond my abilities. See you this weekend.
    Quit rubbing it in you JERK!!!

I sure wish I could make it up this weekend, but this whole work for a living thing is really screwing things up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    yes to both...demos and rentals - i think sales too!! The beginner course will focus mostly on the open ski slope areas for the top half...hits the single track in the woods beside the lift for the bottom half...should be pretty tame. See you there!

40 oz to freedom
    Where exactly is ski Denton in relation do Philly? How long of a drive?
    Looking for a used DH/FR bike, have 1500 PM me with anything you've got

long standing member
    yes to both...demos and rentals - i think sales too!! The beginner course will focus mostly on the open ski slope areas for the top half...hits the single track in the woods beside the lift for the bottom half...should be pretty tame. See you there!
    Thanks for the response. Good news about the bikes, I'm looking forward to checking out what they've got. The beginner course sounds good, I think I rode most of the lower mountain singltrack last year so I should be in good shape. Thanks again for the info, we'll see you this weekend.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny A
    Where exactly is ski Denton in relation do Philly? How long of a drive?
    Denton is in Coudersport, which unfortunately is not very close to Philly. Mapquest is giving a distance of 273 miles and 4 hours & 49 minutes travel time. It's kind of in the middle of nowhere...or God's country, as they say. I live in State College and Coudersport is basically directly north as the crow flies, but since there is no direct route it still takes 2+ hours to get there. It's worth it though, Denton is still the only hill in Central PA (maybe all of PA?) that runs a lift for MTBing.

COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK

Hey Denton....any pictures??

Do you have and can you post some pictures of any features, stunts, jumps, berms you have been working on or added?

I plan on coming up Saturday and /or Sunday and ridng both some XC and FR/DH.

I'm probably bringing up my 12yr old son, is it possible to ride to the top on a low grade trail? If some walking is required that's fine I just didn't want him to have to walk all the way up. Thanks
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

Hey Denton.... any pictures??

Do you have and can you post some pictures of any features, stunts, jumps, berms you have been working on or added?

I plan on coming up Saturday and /or Sunday and ridng both some XC and FR/DH.

I'm probably bringing up my 12yr old son, is it possible to ride to the top on a low grade trail? If some walking is required that's fine I just didn't want him to have to walk all the way up. Thanks

No need to reply big D

I was up today and had a good time. Hope to get back up Sunday and ride some more with my son.

I have to say I liked what I rode and the trails look very promissing for future development.
    I like the mix of trails from smooth flowing to get behind you seat or else.

I will definatly be making the trip up with a bunch of my riding buddies later this summer.

Other than the 1 1/2 hour trip with today gas prices, it's well worth $15. for 4 hrs of fun.

long standing member
    Had a good time as well. It was fun doing a couple of runs with someone who was better/faster than me (as opposed to me going slow so my wife could keep up). Thanks for putting up with my "slowness".

I'm sorry I missed you for another go-round. I was fooling around at the terrain park (the "big" drop was pretty fun) for 10-15 minutes to see if you were gonna pop out at the bottom by the lift. The clouds started moving in so I hopped on the lift for one last run. No sooner had I sat down when the thunder started...so I ended up being the last run of the day.

I definitely will be back again, hopefully sooner this summer rather than later. Keep us posted if you and the boys are taking a trip up there, and I'll do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by spacoli
    I was up today and had a good time. Hope to get back up Sunday and ride some more with my son.

I have to say I liked what I rode and the trails look very promissing for future development.
    I like the mix of trails from smooth flowing to get behind you seat or else.

I will definatly be making the trip up with a bunch of my riding buddies later this summer.

Other than the 1 1/2 hour trip with today gas prices, it's well worth $15. for 4 hrs of fun.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    me and a friend were going to go up today and stay in a hotel then ride tomorrow but i think we are just gonna leave at about 8 tomorrow morning. we are like 2 and a half hours away according to mapquest but i think we can make it in 2 or less. i was planning on doing the beginner DH race but i dont know if we are gonna get there in time for me to look at the course first. dont really want to jump right in there since im still relatively new to all this and ive got a hardtail.

im pretty excited to get up there. maybe ill see some of you guys

mtbr member
    May 2005
    so who all was there? i got there around a quarter til 12. i waanted to get in the race but we got lost so much it took us an extra hour to get there. it was a blast though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Is ski denton the closet place of this type to the Philadelphia area? I would love to give it a go but would prefer to shorten the drive. I gave it a search on Google but came up with nothing. I was told a while back that there is a service in or near Jim Thorpe that operated a shuttle of some sort but being as lazy as I am I haven't researched it yet. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    I live a life of paranoia. It keeps me safe!

banned
    Ladies,

How about some pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    Had a good time as well. It was fun doing a couple of runs with someone who was better/faster than me (as opposed to me going slow so my wife could keep up). Thanks for putting up with my "slowness".

I'm sorry I missed you for another go-round. I was fooling around at the terrain park (the "big" drop was pretty fun) for 10-15 minutes to see if you were gonna pop out at the bottom by the lift. The clouds started moving in so I hopped on the lift for one last run. No sooner had I sat down when the thunder started...so I ended up being the last run of the day.

I definitely will be back again, hopefully sooner this summer rather than later. Keep us posted if you and the boys are taking a trip up there, and I'll do the same.
    I just missed you. As I got to the lift there was one person getting on and just as i was to get on someone came up and said no more people on the lift because of the thunder.

My son and I went back up today and had a great time, the weather was great. He wanted to ride the Gemini and I rode my Heckler. He did great for the first time on the bike, it's a little too big for him but he wanted to ride it. He went down one time pretty good on the trail that runs right next to the lift on the left if your looking down at the trail while riding up the lift.

Here is a picture of him coming down the center right under the lift, he was just coming up that bank after that little berm. I was pretty impressed how he handled the bike.

I didn't get to let it all hang out on the Heckler being that it's set up for more trail riding, I still had fun.

I beleive I'm going to plan fathers day the next trip up with my son.
    Attached Images Attached Images

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Ladies,

How about some pictures?
    Yeah, I'm a bonehead. See my explanation here. Next time.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by spacoli
    My son and I went back up today and had a great time, the weather was great. He wanted to ride the Gemini and I rode my Heckler. He did great for the first time on the bike, it's a little too big for him but he wanted to ride it. He went down one time pretty good on the trail that runs right next to the lift on the left if your looking down at the trail while riding up the lift.

Here is a picture of him coming down the center right under the lift, he was just coming up that bank after that little berm. I was pretty impressed how he handled the bike.

I didn't get to let it all hang out on the Heckler being that it's set up for more trail riding, I still had fun.

I beleive I'm going to plan fathers day the next trip up with my son.
    Nice, it looks like he took right to the downhilling thing. Your gonna have to pick him up a DH bike of his own.

That's a great pic, it really captures the grade of the terrain there, although it wasn't super steep (but steep enough for me to be white knuckled). I really got a kick out of those two little kids that were doing trail work as we came down that trail. As I passed them by they said, "we're just trying to make the trail better to ride." That was awesome.

I'm glad you guys had fun. Nate and I will be at Diablo on Father's Day weekend, but maybe we will hook up a trip later in the summer.

banned
    You guys should join us on another trip to Prompton. Right up yours and Be's alley, I think.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    i only took one pic because i was mainly concerned with riding and it was of the beginning of the trail the one vendor dude(one from ny) was working on. we took a few short vids of it too but nothing good. the trail was really technical as it wasnt done yet but the top part was amazing with all the ladder bridges.

i saw you spacoli, you your son and another dude. he looked pretty good for how old you said he was. wish i had to the guts when i was twelve to do some of those trails. i was the kid with the olive shirt riding a specialized hardrock. its blue and my friend had a grey cannondale. he had on a sleaveless red shirt.

i think we are going to be going up there again soon. its a great place.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by BHertz
    i only took one pic because i was mainly concerned with riding and it was of the beginning of the trail the one vendor dude(one from ny) was working on. we took a few short vids of it too but nothing good. the trail was really technical as it wasnt done yet but the top part was amazing with all the ladder bridges.
    Hey B, what trail was that? There was a ton of trails that I didn't get to ride and that was definitely one of them. Do you know what # it was? What other North Shore type stuff did it have?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    it wasnt numbered and it was sort of blocked off. it wasnt done.. just the top half was crudely done it still needed work but it was still great. i cant wait til its all done. however... you know just as you get off the lift there is a road straight ahead. well it was the very first back that road.. only about 30-40 yards back it.

umm it just had a few ladder bridges. i talked to the guy who was working on it and he said it wasnt even close to done yet but he wanted us to check it out for what hes got there now. hes going to be putting in more north shore style stuff in and hopes it will be done by the end of summer.
    it had a lot of switchbacks as well and some pretty neat rock gardens. im uploading some short vids right now. they arent anything special but it shows what he has there now. ill post them in a minute.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast