mtbr member
    Jun 2006

ski denton schedule

Remember there are three more weekends for riding for the first half of our lift-serviced xc and downhill riding. July 14 and 15 will be the last weekend for this part of the split season - second season runs from labor day to mid-october. Trails are in great shape with the dry weather!!

Trail eater

where is this place?

Hey Denton,

This may sound stoopid but I couldn't find the location of ski Denton.

Where is it and how far (approx.) is it from center city philly?

cheers mate
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

mtbr member
    Ski Denton is a long ride from Philly 5-6 hours; beautiful country though, very rural. I grew up not to far across the boarder in NY, skiing and riding that area. Go to www.skidenton.com for details.

If you're going that far, might as well take and extra day and head up to Ellicottville, NY for some excellent riding at Holiday Valley Ski Resort, large trail network that runs up over the mountain and out the back side through some great valleys almost all single track. You'll get your lungs burning. Local Shop: Mud Sweat and Gears has maps.

COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK

Questions and Ideas

Hey Denton, just wondering why you shut down for two months? Are you planning on doing any trail work at this time?

I know dufster412 has been trying to get a hold of you about helping building and maintaining the trails. He has asked me if I would be interested in helping out since I'm the wood worker.

I have been up three times so far, I have had allot of fun and I sure do see allot of potential to put your ski area on the map for the mountain bike park in Pa.

If you ask the bikers what new features they would like to see, you will get an idea of what you need to do. Personally I think trail 21 and 22 on to trail 9 has allot of natural potential for some jumps and berms. Some of the lower short tree line trails could have some woodwork (ladders, drops, teeters, wall ride ect,) break off the main trail line as an alternate route or option. You could even have a little jump park area. The possibilities are endless. I have not seen or been on all the trails. If the planning is right, it will not affect ski season, requiring tear down of any features that are installed. Once stuff is built maintenance will be minimal if it's done right.

I know it's only your second year for this type of thing and the up front investment has to be made. I know the more you have to offer the more people you will have coming. Once the work is done, the little you invested will pay for itself as word gets around. Plus everybody can ride a bike.

I'm sure if you ask there would be allot of riders willing to volunteer to help you out, just for know that they have a location closer than NY,NJ or WV to come and ride. It may not be as big as the others, but it can still have some of the riding features they offer and you don't have to drive 3+ hours to get there.

See this thread on some of the stuff duffster412 has done in the back of his house. FR builders/riders in Central PA!!

I'm willing to help. Thanks for everything you have done so far.

People chime in and tell me what you think.
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by spacoli
    Hey Denton, just wondering why you shut down for two months? Are you planning on doing any trail work at this time?

I know dufster412 has been trying to get a hold of you about helping building and maintaining the trails. He has asked me if I would be interested in helping out since I'm the wood worker.

I have been up three times so far, I have had allot of fun and I sure do see allot of potential to put your ski area on the map for the mountain bike park in Pa.

If you ask the bikers what new features they would like to see, you will get an idea of what you need to do. Personally I think trail 21 and 22 on to trail 9 has allot of natural potential for some jumps and berms. Some of the lower short tree line trails could have some woodwork (ladders, drops, teeters, wall ride ect,) break off the main trail line as an alternate route or option. You could even have a little jump park area. The possibilities are endless. I have not seen or been on all the trails. If the planning is right, it will not affect ski season, requiring tear down of any features that are installed. Once stuff is built maintenance will be minimal if it's done right.

I know it's only your second year for this type of thing and the up front investment has to be made. I know the more you have to offer the more people you will have coming. Once the work is done, the little you invested will pay for itself as word gets around. Plus everybody can ride a bike.

I'm sure if you ask there would be allot of riders willing to volunteer to help you out, just for know that they have a location closer than NY,NJ or WV to come and ride. It may not be as big as the others, but it can still have some of the riding features they offer and you don't have to drive 3+ hours to get there.

See this thread on some of the stuff duffster412 has done in the back of his house. FR builders/riders in Central PA!!

I'm willing to help. Thanks for everything you have done so far.

People chime in and tell me what you think.
    Jeff is right on. I was at Denton last year and this year I have been to Diablo. Denton does have some potential and looking to its "neighbor" to the east it should take notes. Diablo was some of the most fun I have ever had riding a bike. The trails flowed like no other and the varying degree of obstacles was great.

Denton in my mind could be/ is a great destination for riding. I think the best thing denton could do is ask its riders what they want to see. Obviously money talks and everything is NOT possible, but small things like dirt berms, wood features, and Long sweeping runs can be done with minimal capital investment. Time would be the major variable.

Denton, Keep doing what you are doing. You have given those of is in PA, NY, NJ, etc. a place to ride. Keep in mind that those "neighbors" to the North, East, and South have been at it a while and you can follow in their footsteps with some extra effort. Another note is that many people are willing to drive 4+ hours to a new destination with "their" type of riding. Adding some features to the mountain could draw some back to PA from the likes of Diablo, Platty, and Snowshoe.

See you soon!!

mtbr member
    Just got back in the door from my 1st weekend at Denton. We stayed in the cabins and rode Saturday. Wow, had a blast. Didn't discover 21,22 etc that dumped into 9 until too late in the afternoon, but we loved it. We were riding XC bikes and had a blast. Were only a few other cars in the parking lot and fewer this morning when we left which i don't understand. What's there now is great for us, but the potential is really exciting. Plan to head back up around labor day with some friends...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    i'll chime in and second spacoli and be350ka. working with the riders to lay out what needs done to ensure a steady biking contingent is something that really needs done. i'm not so sure on the numbers of the trails, but i can personally attest to having (not knowing it was closed) been down the new trail under construction with the ladderwork, etc. the trail does not appear to have been laid out with rider input or feedback. as such, it is like to fall short of the potential the terraint here has and the reward for the efforts put into it is likely to be sub par as well.

there are plenty of people who are close by that can and will hep with the work needed. but it does need to be done in order for this place to realize its potential.

bottome line:

i've been to denton once and diablo once in the past 2 months. denton cost me 23.50 and diablo cost me over 150. i'm heading back to diablo this coming weekend.

to those who have posted in this thread, i applaud you in your efforts to reach out to denton and offer help in support of their efforts. this is a very strong indication that the area can and will support an operation like what denton has the potential to be. we can only continue our efforts in that vein and hope that denton becomes more responsive than they have been thus far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    sorry for the delay...was out of town and away from communication for the weekend...and it was great!! We are definately interested in riders helping with trail building efforts...already this year trails have been built by riders from WYNMBA and Allegany Outdoors. Let me know when you would want to try to come up and I'll make myself available. We want to create the mountain that has something for everyone. As far as our month and a half off, we hold two major archery festivals at the end of july and mid august...last year it was open one weekend, then not, then on, then not...thought this new schedule might just be less confusing...don't want anyone to make the trip and us not be open. Will be a great time for trail work though.

See you on the trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

denton is fun and getting better

Ok, so at the moment Denton might not exactly appeal to "hardcore" downhill riders, but the place really is fun. It has something for everyone and improvements are appearing. The new wood built feature trail by 24 will be fun when completed. 24, 25, and 26 are all steep and fun. 40 and 41 are pretty decent too. I was there yesterday and I noticed some new things since I was there the end of May. The trails are in great shape, totally dry. A few launchers and tabletops have been made. Overall its a fun day of riding. In the past 5yrs I have ridden basically every DH place in the east with the exceptions of Diablo and Snowshoe, so I know how it compares to other places. I can do a day trip to Denton for like 1/4 of the cost and time it takes me to do Mt Snow and the trails at Denton are basically as good, maybe not as long or as many, but its just as good terrain. Its only the 2nd year there and they show improvement. Seriously, if you haven't been there, check the place out, its worth a drive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I am sure that Scott and Shawn would be willing to listen to any new ideas. I have ridden there about 15 times if not more and they are always looking for new ideas at what they can do to make the hill better.

I have a great time there and it is only 1 hour and 10 minutes from home.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it back down until they re-open for the second part of the season, due to a crash.

Welcome Mike

Quote Originally Posted by kona132
    I am sure that Scott and Shawn would be willing to listen to any new ideas. I have ridden there about 15 times if not more and they are always looking for new ideas at what they can do to make the hill better.

I have a great time there and it is only 1 hour and 10 minutes from home.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it back down until they re-open for the second part of the season, due to a crash.
    Welcome to MTBR Mike. I was hoping I would see you here. This site is an awesome resource for MTB.

Since this thread was started by Denton to remind us about the schedule and has evolved into trail improvement and maintainance, we could use this thread to put together work days.

If Denton has access to a bobcat or something similar to move dirt, we could make good progress in a day with some ground pounders with rakes shaping dirt berms, jumps, ect.

All interested to help out for a day or so, chime in.

Lockport Rippers
    Jul 2006
    Well I would be interested in helping out. Whatever needs done to get this place up and rolling, I would be glad to help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    i'm with duffy, i'd love to help out. my only problem lies in being horribly overworked as the only fully qualified mechanic in a shop that should have 3 or 4 of them. wednesdays and sundays are always good days to try.

mtbr member
    I will be there tomorrow for some DH riding. I am also willing to put some time in for building(if I ahve time)
    Look for me riding a Haro 357 magnum and another guy riding a Giant Glory.

long standing member
    Having taking several trips to Denton and one to Diablo over this season and last, I figured I put my $0.02 in as well. And please note that my intention in providing input is only to help make Denton a better place for all of us to ride. Maybe a forum this public isn't the ideal place for this discussion, but since the conversation has already been started I'll chime in.

As it is now (or as it was a month ago when I was there), there are fun trails to ride at Denton and huge steps have been taken this year to increase the riding features on the mountain. The price is right and being 2 hours each way from my hometown in central PA it's easy to make a day trip. There is varied terrain and plenty of space to make new trails to suit many kinds of riding. At the same time, in comparison with a park like Diablo there is a lot of room for improvement. I realize that Diablo has been established for several years and likely has corporate backing and connections (including corporate connections to Whistler Bike Park) that effect how they have developed. But using Diablo's development models and observing their trail layouts and construction would vastly improve the riding at Denton.

For example, Diablo has quite a few trails that combine steep, technical terrain with man-made TTFs and berms and jumps to create fast, flowy rides. There are some off-camber sections, but parts of these trails are built over rock faces or are armored to provide traction and prevent erosion from overuse, and are balanced by the inclusion of well-constructed switchbacks that allow riders to maintain speed and maneuver their bikes through sharp corners. Few of the trails travel directly down the fall line for extended periods, and when they do they are broken up by natural terrain features that control the rider's flow and/or man-made features like jumps, berms, or drops. There are also several runs that are dedicated jump lines that feature successive table-top or double jumps with large bermed turns and TTFs interspersed.

My comparisons with Diablo here are not intended as criticisms, but only noted to provide hopefully constructive input. And I'm not trying to say that Denton should try to "be like Diablo". They are very different mountains with different types of natural terrain. Diablo's trail development and particularly the features that riders are looking for are what Denton should be looking at for ideas and inspiration. I'm sure when riders from central and eastern PA consider where to go downhilling they look at the distance, cost of travel and (if necessary) accommodations, and, of course, what the mountain's terrain has to offer. I believe that right now Diablo has the edge. However, I know that myself, other posters here and I'm sure many other riders in the region would love for Denton to develop to a point that it becomes a premier mountain bike destination. And not by way of being the only game in town but by being a well-developed, diverse, exciting place to ride.

I personally don't have any real knowledge or expertise on how to bring this about, I only know what I've seen and what I'm looking for as a rider. Most of my comments come from the perspective of the mountain bike park "consumer". IOW, the product that I'm looking for and what I'm willing to pay for. At the same time, I'd be willing to lend a hand making things happen if there was a vision and development plan that I could buy into. I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread with the hope that other people chime in and the offers of trail work help are accepted and utilized. And if my schedule permits I'd like to try and help out any way that I can.

And again I hope that my comments are taken as they are meant, to truly be constructive. I think what Ski Denton has done and is doing at the mountain for mountain biking is to be commended, as most ski resorts are not willing to put in the effort (and/or take the financial risk) to have summer programs at their mountain. So the programs in place are already light-years ahead of most ski resorts. I also think that most of us are hoping that Denton can take it to the next level and become another Diablo/Snowshoe/Plattekill...or whatever flavor of DH/FR mountain that Denton can be.
    Last edited by PCinSC; 07-07-2007 at 08:10 PM.

Planning on heading up Satuday and riding solo for 4 hours. Be there at noon and I be ridin a silver Gemini and goin realy slow.

Keep on Rockin...

Great advice. Denton...

Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    Having taking several trips to Denton and one to Diablo over this season and last, I figured I put my $0.02 in as well. And please note that my intention in providing input is only to help make Denton a better place for all of us to ride. Maybe a forum this public isn't the ideal place for this discussion, but since the conversation has already been started I'll chime in.

As it is now (or as it was a month ago when I was there), there are fun trails to ride at Denton and huge steps have been taken this year to increase the riding features on the mountain. The price is right and being 2 hours each way from my hometown in central PA it's easy to make a day trip. There is varied terrain and plenty of space to make new trails to suit many kinds of riding. At the same time, in comparison with a park like Diablo there is a lot of room for improvement. I realize that Diablo has been established for several years and likely has corporate backing and connections (including corporate connections to Whistler Bike Park) that effect how they have developed. But using Diablo's development models and observing their trail layouts and construction would vastly improve the riding at Denton.

For example, Diablo has quite a few trails that combine steep, technical terrain with man-made TTFs and berms and jumps to create fast, flowy rides. There are some off-camber sections, but parts of these trails are built over rock faces or are armored to provide traction and prevent erosion from overuse, and are balanced by the inclusion of well-constructed switchbacks that allow riders to maintain speed and maneuver their bikes through sharp corners. Few of the trails travel directly down the fall line for extended periods, and when they do they are broken up by natural terrain features that control the rider's flow and/or man-made features like jumps, berms, or drops. There are also several runs that are dedicated jump lines that feature successive table-top or double jumps with large bermed turns and TTFs interspersed.

My comparisons with Diablo here are not intended as criticisms, but only noted to provide hopefully constructive input. And I'm not trying to say that Denton should try to "be like Diablo". They are very different mountains with different types of natural terrain. Diablo's trail development and particularly the features that riders are looking for are what Denton should be looking at for ideas and inspiration. I'm sure when riders from central and eastern PA consider where to go downhilling they look at the distance, cost of travel and (if necessary) accommodations, and, of course, what the mountain's terrain has to offer. I believe that right now Diablo has the edge. However, I know that myself, other posters here and I'm sure many other riders in the region would love for Denton to develop to a point that it becomes a premier mountain bike destination. And not by way of being the only game in town but by being a well-developed, diverse, exciting place to ride.

I personally don't have any real knowledge or expertise on how to bring this about, I only know what I've seen and what I'm looking for as a rider. Most of my comments come from the perspective of the mountain bike park "consumer". IOW, the product that I'm looking for and what I'm willing to pay for. At the same time, I'd be willing to lend a hand making things happen if there was a vision and development plan that I could buy into. I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread with the hope that other people chime in and the offers of trail work help are accepted and utilized. And if my schedule permits I'd like to try and help out any way that I can.

And again I hope that my comments are taken as they are meant, to truly be constructive. I think what Ski Denton has done and is doing at the mountain for mountain biking is to be commended, as most ski resorts are not willing to put in the effort (and/or take the financial risk) to have summer programs at their mountain. So the programs in place are already light-years ahead of most ski resorts. I also think that most of us are hoping that Denton can take it to the next level and become another Diablo/Snowshoe/Plattekill...or whatever flavor of DH/FR mountain that Denton can be.

...has a lot of potential. But, it's still new. Just to get things started I'm pretty sure Scott simply opened up the old log skidder trails and has been adding on since open only a short time ago. But Scott is committed to bringing the mountain to the next level. I live about 5 minutes from Denton Hill but have been to Diablo about a dozen times or so. Yes, Diablo is top-notch, no doubt. A friend of mine and myself have invited Scott to check out Diablo and we might even get there next month. The friend I speak of has been racing the Norba DH circuit for 10 or 15 years and has been designing trails for 20 years or so. He rides at Diablo a few times a month and has ridden all over the East coast. I've been building trails for about 5 or 6 years and mountain biking for 15 years or so. Scott has invited us to help out and we are pretty charged up to help take Denton to the next level. We'll be looking to other riders for help.

While I don't want to speak for Scott, seems to me the door is wide open for anyone who wants to help out in terms of trail building. He's very generous to those who are willing to put some focused work in on the mountain. He has really appreciated the help from other riders he's already received. In the next few weeks I'll be spending some time hiking, xc-riding, and mapping out the mountain's terrain to get to know it better; then marking some new trails out. We've been tossing around the idea of a volunteer weekend (or even two) for any who would be interested. Something along the lines of half a day riding and half a day building trails both Sat and Sun with camping out Sat night. I have every reason to believe Scott would make it worth the while for anyone willing to put in a few hours of trail building. So let us know if any one would be willing to help out.

Denton is looking to not only expand in the downhill arena but also in the xc/trail riding realm. Personally I think it would be a great "Super-D" type of mountain. We'd like to see not only more trails for the hard core downhiller, but also for the rider on a trail bike and even a xc bike. Right now we are planning the course for the one of the MASS races this Fall, to be held at Denton. It will start at the lodge and go up and over and off the backside (south face) of the mountain (where the local's of the area have single track put in). The point is, if you are not a downhiller don't feel left out.

If anyone has ideas or the energy to help out let me know. Feel free to pm me.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Miker J
    ...has a lot of potential. But, it's still new. Just to get things started I'm pretty sure Scott simply opened up the old log skidder trails and has been adding on since open only a short time ago. But Scott is committed to bringing the mountain to the next level. I live about 5 minutes from Denton Hill but have been to Diablo about a dozen times or so. Yes, Diablo is top-notch, no doubt. A friend of mine and myself have invited Scott to check out Diablo and we might even get there next month. The friend I speak of has been racing the Norba DH circuit for 10 or 15 years and has been designing trails for 20 years or so. He rides at Diablo a few times a month and has ridden all over the East coast. I've been building trails for about 5 or 6 years and mountain biking for 15 years or so. Scott has invited us to help out and we are pretty charged up to help take Denton to the next level. We'll be looking to other riders for help.

While I don't want to speak for Scott, seems to me the door is wide open for anyone who wants to help out in terms of trail building. He's very generous to those who are willing to put some focused work in on the mountain. He has really appreciated the help from other riders he's already received. In the next few weeks I'll be spending some time hiking, xc-riding, and mapping out the mountain's terrain to get to know it better; then marking some new trails out. We've been tossing around the idea of a volunteer weekend (or even two) for any who would be interested. Something along the lines of half a day riding and half a day building trails both Sat and Sun with camping out Sat night. I have every reason to believe Scott would make it worth the while for anyone willing to put in a few hours of trail building. So let us know if any one would be willing to help out.

Denton is looking to not only expand in the downhill arena but also in the xc/trail riding realm. Personally I think it would be a great "Super-D" type of mountain. We'd like to see not only more trails for the hard core downhiller, but also for the rider on a trail bike and even a xc bike. Right now we are planning the course for the one of the MASS races this Fall, to be held at Denton. It will start at the lodge and go up and over and off the backside (south face) of the mountain (where the local's of the area have single track put in). The point is, if you are not a downhiller don't feel left out.

If anyone has ideas or the energy to help out let me know. Feel free to pm me.

Mike

Sounds good, count me in to help out. The sooner you schedule work weekend the better, so everyone willing to help will know ahead of time.

Saturday ride

Had a good time riding Saturday all alone. I found the trail with the woodwork, it was fun. It's unmarked and not on the map that I could see. It's a switchback trail and some off camber sections with some technical features and the woodwork. It looks like it's still being worked on, but it was ridable.

See picutres of the trail here along with some other pictures I have taken while riding there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    jeff,

glad to hear you had fun. bummed to hear you were all by your onesy. i'd have loved to come along, but didn't have enough time to get off of work.

does it look like the trail with the ladder work has been getting a lot of attention? when we were up, it wasn't rideable. it was closed, but that idiot craig still led off withut mentioning that. go figure. anyway, it needed some serious work. hopefully it's getting it.