Thread: Singlespeed

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Singlespeed

Anyone riding single speed bikes in pa?? im thinking about converting my bike to SS. i ride rocky ridge in york,pa and white clay in delaware often. Do you think these would be ok places for SS. I find myself now hardly ever shifting gears, and think SS could be right for me and by removing all the unneeded stuff save me a pound or two.

mtbr member
    I converted an old steel frame to SS and was loving it down in white clay until my rigged up chain tensioner (an old derailler) broke. It is worth trying out for sure.
    Pugsley, Bullit

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    For everything I ride in PA, I've been perfectly content with my 1x9 setup with a 32T ring up front. I dunno that I'd go to singlespeed, but I am not a champ climber tho

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    White Clay is perfect for SS 29er.

32:20 is fine or if your strong enough go 32:18
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I know a couple people who ride everything PA (except downhill...) on Singles and they love it.

Of course, they're also crazy strong riders.

From what I've heard White Clay should be great, using a higher gear ratio.

I'd expect Raystown Lake would be terrific on a single. I ride my gearie rigid 29er there and love it that way.

Much of PA bump-n-grind seems better suited to a lower ratio though, slower going.

Road Bike Review Member
    I am always on my rigid Niner one Nine....32-19 for Wiss, i like the 32-18 for White Clay. I have a geared bike also, but the ss is so much more fun.
    Air Nine One Nine, and a few Cannondale....rip Salsa
    ...work is something I'm forced to do between riding and fishing

Jason
    Yup, just built it from my spare parts collection. The only things I had to purchase were the tires and chain tensioner. It's great on the trails. I'll be swapping out the tires and taking it it out to Sorber Mountain near Noxen this coming weekend.

Jason

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    awesome guys, thanks for the comments....the kit i ordered comes with a 16 and 18 (think ima try the 18 first) ...and i got a 32 for the front....cant wait til it all gets here tuesday

mtbr member
    32x18 is a hard gear! Keep it rolling and you should be fine! Do you ride a 29er or 26er? If you're on a 26, the 18 should be good for you. I ride a 32x20 29er, and I love it! I prefer riding single speed in rocky stuff, it gives you a whole new appreciation for the sport. Having that torque is like nothing else.

Here's my ride: published in Dirt Rag. Custom built by Rich Adams of Around Town Bike in Wilkes-Barre, PA.

RLK
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    White Clay is perfect for SS. I don't even bother with the geared bike there anymore... Rocky Ridge, on the other hand, makes me thankful that things like gears and suspension exist

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    very nice ^^!!!! I am riding a 26...ill find out in a few days if i can hanlde the 32/18 setup haha

mtbr member
    You should be good to go with 32/18 at white clay. I've taken a 39/18 there and it was do-able for the most part. All this white clay talk made me plan a trip down there tomorrow heh.
    Pugsley, Bullit

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ^^ I am most likely going on sunday, taking a buddy whos never been there

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Converted a circa-1997 steel-frame Bianchi Peregrine 26" HT to SS 32/18 a couple weeks ago and it rocks. Want to use it at Blue Marsh, Jacobsburg, Green Lane. Definitely has made me a stronger rider already and yet it wasn't as brutal starting out as I thought it'd be. Definitely light, quick, and far more agile than my FR which now seems like a tank that I'm now planning to use only for rocky stuff at French Creek, Gretna, etc. needing a little more sus.

Jason
    I started off with 32-16. 18 was way to easy and I found myself spinning out. I'm now thinking of dropping down to 32-14.
    Jason

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dexetr30
    I started off with 32-16. 18 was way to easy and I found myself spinning out. I'm now thinking of dropping down to 32-14.
    Not a bad idea . . .

mtbr member
    Been rocking out SS for a couple years here in south central PA. Rocky Ridge isn't my favorite place to SS but it can certainly be done. If your bike has a suspension fork on the front make sure you have a lockout. I prefer a fully rigid bike for SSing. Mount Gretna over in Lancaster County is my favorite place to SS. I love passing guys on trail 15 with my one gear and no suspension bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Cableb!tch: living, breathing proof you can be right and.still be a dick.

mtbr member
    32:14 is pretty impressive, I can't imagine riding any trails with hills with that gear!

Jason
    We'll see how it works out. If it ends up being too much I'l go back to 16t. I think you may be correct though.
    Jason

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    well took my last ride sunday at white clay with my bike having gears. tonight the parts come to make it SS. bike is currently stripped down and waiting for the new parts, if all goes well should be all back together tonight. i cant wait!

Jason
    Don't forget to post pics!
    Jason

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i will!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Before:

After:

mtbr member
    Very nice! Gotta love that clean chain line. Now you need some toothpicks to clean the bugs out of your teeth. You're gonna be smiling a lot
    Pugsley, Bullit

Chronic 1st-timer
    I dun SS-ed Rocky Ridge, Lake Redman, Stony Creek, Lamb's Gap & 'round Pixburgh.
    All good........
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!