mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Sightings at Wiss

So for the second time, today I saw a bald eagle at Wiss. Pretty stoked by this. The first time was about two weeks after trout season opened and it snatched a trout from the creek just upstream from Kitchen's Lane bridge. Today I was there looking down at the water from the bridge before going down to cast some flies, and saw the shadow of a large bird flying over head. Looked up, and again, a bald eagle only about twenty feet over my head. Awesome.

Also, while riding yesterday midday, saw a fox cub seemingly by itself. Stomach was pretty round and it looked as if it wanted to come over to me for a second before thinking twice and moving along. I had stopped to make room for, and was talking to another rider that was a little sketched out by the sweaty rocks when we both saw it. This was in the short re-route section just east/south of the Inn/widowmaker.
    My concern with the fox is that it might be orphaned? If anyone see's it, see if you see a mum nearby. I don't know much about their habits, but I'm hoping that it was just getting out of the den for a bit. Hoping the round belly was from eating good and not malnourishment.

mtbr member
    That is really cool. I have seen Bald Eagles before in the Wiss but would love to see one catch a fish. That must have been a site to behold. If you ever want to see a lot of them, head down to Aberdeen, MD. They are all over the place down there.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yeah, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it snatch the trout. I was on a ride that day after work and was totally smoked, work was rough that day. I started at the Fantasy end and was riding that side, but felt like schit. A bunch of times I thought I'd bail but rode to the monster and then took Forbidden back. I was at the point before you get to the bend at Kitchens and you're up above the water, just kind of looking down at the creek as I rode when the white of its head and tail caught my eye. By the time my brain gathered it was a bald eagle, it was swooping and grabbing the trout. It was all like a split second. I always think that if I had given in to feeling weak that day and headed home before I did, I would have totally missed that.

Really cool to see in person, and especially at Wiss, LOL!

That's awesome about Aberdeen. I am a big nature lover, I've got to say though that birds of prey/raptors are some of my favorite.

mtbr member
    I too saw a bald eagle, about 2 weeks ago, at valley green. It was absolutely amazing. Flew up & down creek hunting, but didn't get a fish while I was watching. The geese were going nuts whenever he flew by them, probably because he eats them too! I wonder if there's a pair nesting? Seems logical but I dont know much about them. This is a great development, makes me think the creek is getting cleaner.
    bike = good

mtbr member
    Did the eagle have a fishing license? He'd better be careful of the rangers.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt_merchant View Post
    I too saw a bald eagle, about 2 weeks ago, at valley green. It was absolutely amazing. Flew up & down creek hunting, but didn't get a fish while I was watching. The geese were going nuts whenever he flew by them, probably because he eats them too! I wonder if there's a pair nesting? Seems logical but I dont know much about them. This is a great development, makes me think the creek is getting cleaner.
    Nice! I wonder if you're on to something with that. A few people I had let know about this suggested that it might be passing through in migration, but it seems a bit like it (or they) are living here. Dude, I bet those geese were freaking out!

Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    Did the eagle have a fishing license? He'd better be careful of the rangers.
    Ha! I wish the rangers were more present. I've been fly fishing that creek for 4 years now and have never seen one. Judging by the scummers that leave their spin fishing trash (line, powerbait, bait cups, bottles, ratty clothing etc. etc.), I'm not sure anyone else is seeing them either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    friend of mine who rides philly a lot claimed there was a nesting pair on the schuykill a couple years back (wouldn't say where though)...

so it could be local to the wiss or could be flying up from the schuykill.

i hope those things start multiplying and getting some geese in their diet. after commuting for years along kelly drive i wish those geese had a fear of something. instead they just stand and sh!t all over the bikepath; some don't even bother to move out of the way anymore.

anywhoo; cool sighting! i'll be looking out from now on. i grew up in wisconsin and got too see plenty of bald eagles fishing. seeing an eagle snatch a big ol fish out of the water is amazing to see!

Team Livemedium
    Hey folks, I'm coming up from Austin in a few weeks. Do I really need a permit to ride here?????????????? Also where can I rent a decent bike in Norristown area? Best route?

Thanks! Matt
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    You don't need a permit. No ones ever asked me to produce one in 20 years.

Human zoom rents bikes, they are on main st in manayunk. But I don't know how good the bikes are.

The loop can be done either way but I prefer counter clockwise.

Team Livemedium
    human zoom = $60 a day ouch. anyone want to play tour guide that has an extra bike?
    possible riding days are 6/28 or 6/29. Thanks

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    here are some potential rentals: Bike Rental | Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia
    (most are hybrids, but you may find another option other than Human Zoom.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

Team Livemedium
    thanks alot. (and sorry for the threadjack op.) I want to see eagles too so it's kind of related
    I really like to find a riding buddy with a loaner bike though. I will only need it/them for one lap.
    Is there a regional forum besides here? The SEPTR page seems a little lonely.

Could I slay that trail with a hybred?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bamwa View Post
    No.

Edit: you could try the local meetup group: Philadelphia Mountain Biking Meetup (Philadelphia, PA) - Meetup

Edit II: Oh, wait, the answer to this question is Yes. SEPTR has a Facebook page, and it isn't lonely: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SEPTR/

No.
    Last edited by OldManBike; 06-19-2013 at 08:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    thanks alot. (and sorry for the threadjack op.) I want to see eagles too so it's kind of related
    I really like to find a riding buddy with a loaner bike though. I will only need it/them for one lap.

Ha, no worries about the thread jack, good a place as any to ask the question.

I'd say renting from Human Zoom isn't a bad idea. Not sure what they have as a rental, but I would guess it is of the Trek 'Fuel' variety (I could be wrong), and $60 to thrash one of them with abandon ain't a bad deal. My 'other bike' is a Top Fuel (9.9 frame and 9.8 parts) and I'd be really apprehensive about loaning that to even my close buds...

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    not just no, but hell's no!

mtbr member
    Well, you could slay Forbidden Drive on a hybrid.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Rent a bike at Human Zoom, head to Forbiden Drive and go up. Once you are up in the trails, ask someone where to go. It's pretty impossible to get lost, and most folks have no problems with letting another rider tag along.

Don't even think about riding a hybrid!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    A couple years ago, I saw a blue heron cruising over the creek, about 20 feet up. It was awesome to see him just gliding along the creek.

About 10 years ago I came around a bend in the trail and had to slam on the brakes as a big buck was just standing in the middle of the trail 10 yds away looking at me. I stood there in shock for 5 minutes and waited for him to move on.

Also, what section is referred to as fantasy?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rollinrox View Post
    A couple years ago, I saw a blue heron cruising over the creek, about 20 feet up. It was awesome to see him just gliding along the creek.

About 10 years ago I came around a bend in the trail and had to slam on the brakes as a big buck was just standing in the middle of the trail 10 yds away looking at me. I stood there in shock for 5 minutes and waited for him to move on.

Also, what section is referred to as fantasy?
    Yeah, blue heron are pretty cool. Easy to spook too.

I've always referred to the section that runs from Lincoln to the Inn as Fantasy. Not sure if that's the official name, but it was what it was always called by the guys I rode with when I moved here, and so I call it that too. I think it's got a nice ring to it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    not just no, but hell's no!
    Well I suppose he could....but...

When I moved back from Cali in 08, I was riding my 'cross bike there regularly. At the time my mountain bikes were a bit dated and so I just 'slayed' it on the cross rig.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Well I suppose he could....but...

When I moved back from Cali in 08, I was riding my 'cross bike there regularly. At the time my mountain bikes were a bit dated and so I just 'slayed' it on the cross rig.
    I've seen guys on x-bikes there too, but they were better riders than I.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    but they were better riders than I.
    Nonsense Gigantic. It's all a state of mind. Guarantee you'd ride just fine. Basically a rigid skinny wheeled 29er.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Nonsense Gigantic. It's all a state of mind. Guarantee you'd ride just fine. Basically a rigid skinny wheeled 29er.
    except I'm 6'8" & 260 pounds. It would be easier and cheaper for me to just skip the Wiss on a CX and go to Chipotle. either way I'd be eating tacos...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hahahaha! I hear ya man. Don't sell yourself short though. Once I get another cross bike together, we can do a ride cutting through Wiss, and then ride the road out to Baja Fresh in Plymouth Meeting...No tacos at Wiss.