mtbr member
    May 2006

Short Track MTB Series @ Bear Creek

Come out the last Tuesday of each month (May through October) for an evening of competition and fun. $5 gets you two fun mountain bike races to challenge your friends and hone your skills. The first race of the evening is a short track cross country race on a lower mountain loop that will run for approx. 30 minutes. This race will count towards a series champ in each class (beginner and combined sport/expert) and age group (under 18, 18-30, 31-45, 46+). The second "fun" race will change in format and might include an uphill time trial, dirt miss-and-out and other surprises. Cash, swag, Bear Creek season passes and lift tickets will be up for grabs for ALL series participants. Final series standings will be determined by best 4 of 6 races. Registration starts @ 5PM, first race @ 6:30. A portion of the entry fee will be donated to the Fallen Rider Fund to assist injured riders. Directions @ www.skibearcreek.com.

Uphill hater
    Allright! Now at least I can go bash my legs and bike up at BC and help the cause. hahaha! Seriously, guys this sounds fun! I can't wait.
    Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

My blog

Uphill hater

Thanks!

To SMC and Bear Creek for a fun evening. Good course and a fun time. A wake up for me about racing! Good to see everyone and looking forward to the next one. Is it true that the 19th place finisher won a free Iced Mocha at SMC?

My blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hey All,

Any chance that some pix could be posted.

-scoon

mtbr member

i did not see any cameras there,

so I don't think there will be pics posted. I don't know if results will be posted either, this is all pretty low key. The event was a lot of fun, cool course, tight and twisty, up and down, new little dirt berms, bridge and rock garden, and a paved section for passing. We did 6 laps at from 4-6 minutes a lap, 20 riders total. Courses will change for each event. The only change I would suggest is to stagger the start times maybe, we had a new racer charge into the first corner and stall causing a big gap in the expert group. Also getting there can be a little tough with the traffic on 100, 222 and the turnpike if you need to take any of these. Thanks to SMC and Bear Creek for putting this on, see you the last tuesday of June.
    Jim Thorpe Trail Coalition
    http://jttrails.wordpress.com/

Uphill hater
    It wasn't me that caused the stall, either!! I was the new racer that was at the back of the pack and stalled myself!!

My blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hmmm. Thanks for the response. I was just curious as to what course was like. I raced cross country in my 20's and am no looking for another, maybe shorter, race format.

-scoon

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The June short track race which was canceled because of the storm has been rescheduled. The race will now be held on Tuesday July 11. Look forward to seeing you there.

mtbr member

race tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMountainCycles
    The June short track race which was canceled because of the storm has been rescheduled. The race will now be held on Tuesday July 11. Look forward to seeing you there.
    Bump.
    Jim Thorpe Trail Coalition
    http://jttrails.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Next race this Tuesday, July 24. Lots of fun for all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    is there any good freeride and downhill sections at bear? ive been wanting to go but i want to make sure its worth the drive.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    At this point it is still strictly a cross country area. They will be having a DH race in September, but that DH trail will be opened only for the race. Info here http://www.readingracing.com/events.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I cant make it this week, but Im going to try to make it out there for next month. Is there a beginner friendly race, or is it all pretty technical? The answer may determine whether or not my girlfriend races.

Uphill hater
    It's a short track loop, so it's been bottom of the mountain loops which is sorta technical but I can ride it and I'm a beginner. My 11 year old son rides the race loops and he has to get off every now and then but for the most part does ok. Email me at chuck@rsdmag.com if you'd like to ride the area sometime, I can show you the lower stuff that has been the race loops.

My blog

Uphill hater

New question here. Racing tonight?

Chuck/Mark..

Racing tonight still on? Trails should be wet but not slop...

My blog

Dirt Whore
    Bump.