mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Seeking Singletrack near Allentown

My bud lives in Hershey PA and I live in North Jersey, I am looking for a good place to ride that is between us both, not too far off 78, which is pretty much a 2 hour straight line between our houses. Intermediate to advanced terrain preferred. Thanks brothers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Trail Finder | VMB - Lehigh Valley, PA Mountain Bike Club

...check out Salisbury, Trexler, Bear Creek, those are all somewhat close to 78 or 309

mtbr member
    Salisbury or Bear Creek......They're both like North Jersey with lots of rocks and pretty technical terrain.....And both advanced level loops......You can PM me and depending on family schedule, I might be able to show you around either place......One cool thing about Bear Creek is that the national championships are there in 2013.....If you ride it now you'll see just how tough it will be......you can't go wrong with either one. Bear Creek is a ski resort in Macungie, so you could look it up on the interwhacker for directions and for Salisbury you can google Dodson St. Park Bethlehem PA and that'll get you to the best trail head.....You'll enjoy either.
    Just Freakin' Ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks mbx I may take you up on your offer.

Dinner for wolves
    Bring tubes. Many tubes.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    Bring tubes. Many tubes.
    What are tubes? People still use those?

Dinner for wolves
    Famous last words.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Those Salisbury trails look fun! May have to head up there on Friday, its been a while since I rode someplace new.

Anything I should look out for, or trails I should make sure to hit in a certain direction?
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    AlexCuse - be sure to check if there is hunting there or not, we're strongly into rifle season now.

mtbr member
    Oh man, figured being so close to town that there wouldn't be hunting. Looks like it is allowed, figure this isn't a "I'll be fine if I wear orange" kind of week either. Oh well, maybe I can get over to the wiss without the weekend crowds and head up on Sunday, though I told my noobish brother I'd go to White Clay with him then.

One of these days I will be riding up there though, any advice on making the most of it appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Wear orange- hunting at Sals is only allowed with shotguns and if you have a youth hunter with you. The only thing is, the Blue trails still have some work that need to be done from the storm, but that should be taken care of rather soon.

Alternately, Bear Creek is a similar amount of fun to Sals, and no hunting cuz it's a resort.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hunting is generally not allowed in the riding areas in the Lehigh Valley (except Sals, Jacobsburg, and Nox) but the trails are also usually directly adjacent to areas that hunting IS allowed and we have all encountered hunters on 'non-hunting' property so rider beware. Wear your orange. Sometimes I even attach a cowbell to my seat if I know where I am riding is frequented by hunters going off-property to give an audible alert as well. They love that.

mtbr member
    ^x2!! i've seen hunters/poachers at all valley locations - bear creek, sml, even jordan!
    without hops the world stops

mtbr member
    So it looks like this Friday I'm going to be able to make it up to Sals and check it out. Figuring a few days of clear weather should allow trails to dry out a little bit.

Assuming I'm wearing orange, is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

Also, is there a particular direction the Boulder Trail is best ridden without suspension?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    What is Bear Creek like, terrain wise? Technical XC etc?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    NM, used XJaredX's link and got a good enough description. Went there snowboarding tons, going back as far as when it was called Doe Mountain, even a cross race, but never actually rode there. Have to check it out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    NM, used XJaredX's link and got a good enough description. Went there snowboarding tons, going back as far as when it was called Doe Mountain, even a cross race, but never actually rode there. Have to check it out.
    Go clockwise, stay on the white/1 trail, except where you see the black diamond trails , they will lead back onto 1 again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    So it looks like this Friday I'm going to be able to make it up to Sals and check it out. Figuring a few days of clear weather should allow trails to dry out a little bit.

Assuming I'm wearing orange, is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

Also, is there a particular direction the Boulder Trail is best ridden without suspension?
    Go for it. I think at this point there may only be one or two trees down on blue, red is all clear.

In general, the way I highly suggest to ride everything is "bear right". Start at Dodson parking lot, and just bear right at all the intersections. The only place where that rule doesn't apply is when you get to Girlyman. I kinda just always go right but either way is fun. That always puts me on Boulder Trail going from Blue to Red.

Boulder Trail is fine without suspension, I used to do it all the time on my Pugsley.

mtbr member
    Alex....the basic loop at Salsbury is counterclockwise......that will bring you in to the bolder trail from the top.....slightly downhill into it....And it's quite simply a field of boulders with one line that you'll probably lose in the middle of the boulder field.....I ride there all of the time and lose the line.....And, I have to warn ya....The boulder trail is VERY tough on a rigid bike.....It's not just a name, it is truly a boulder trail.....Now, having said all of that....What a blast....a true challenge....Have fun....Good luck out there.
    Just Freakin' Ride

mtbr member
    We didn't end up riding the boulder trail. Buddy broke a couple spokes earlier in the ride and figured if it was even rockier we probably should stay off till the next time. Did the whole outer loop though - what a great trail system. VMB did a great job building it, and an even better job with storm cleanup. It could be the icy leaves playing tricks on me, but it seems at least as technical as French Creek, and like the technical bits are a bit more sustained. We'll definitely be back on a drier day to hopefully put in a more respectable performance. Maybe I'll even ride the boulder trail one of these days.

Also, buddhak is absolutely right about tubes. I am shocked that neither of us managed to tear a sidewall or at least get a puncture that Stans' couldn't seal, but I think we just got lucky. Having tubes in my bag made me feel a lot more comfortable.