Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Betzwood does have some trails where biking is allowed. Basically if you stay out of the main park area you'll be fine. You can start from the "River Trail" lot on Pawlings Road, or the old Betzwood bridge.

On the south side of the river you basically want to hug the bank (though there is one section that is really bad - note where this route crosses the railroad tracks - if you don't come up from the river there, it gets pretty unrideable for a mile or so (until you get to Valley Creek). I think the spot where the route goes farthest from the river on the south side is a path around a somewhat steep ravine - it seems a bit unsafe and not at all fun on my rigid singlespeed, but YMMV.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

meh?
    Wait! Why are the South Mountain trails "Politically Incorrect to post about"?

I'm a Lehigh Alumni and I'm just confused. I used to see people on the trails all the time. I'm only 4 years out, so I can't see it having changed much.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    First time on a bike since 2005 today. Hit Pennypack trail with my new bike and was very surprised at how nice the park was. I remember years ago it was dirty. It's a good trail for locals

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Swatara creek state park MTB only are is a must on here too

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Map204 View Post
    Wait! Why are the South Mountain trails "Politically Incorrect to post about"?

I'm a Lehigh Alumni and I'm just confused. I used to see people on the trails all the time. I'm only 4 years out, so I can't see it having changed much.
    The 'official officialness' from Lehigh U as I last understood it was that the property owned by Lehigh U is open for the use of students, staff, and the surrounding community. That said, they have no desire for the property to become a 'destination' so they allow the use based on the idea that the trails are not advertised as a 'destination.' Its basically a 'we will let you be out there as long as it doesn't become a nuisance for LU' kind of arrangement, so encouraging the world at large to come out and ride really isn't in the best interest of LU or the local riding community.

mtbr member
    Hey guys, I am going to be in West Chester at the BikeLine shop on Saturday and was wondering if there were any local trails you could point me to.

I'm not at all familiar with the area and looking for single track. Marsh Creek State Park?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Satanic Pizza View Post
    Hey guys, I am going to be in West Chester at the BikeLine shop on Saturday and was wondering if there were any local trails you could point me to.

I'm not at all familiar with the area and looking for single track. Marsh Creek State Park?
    Marsh Creek and Harmony Hill would be close. The address for the Skelp Level Road parking lot at Harmony Hill is 1200 Skelp Level Road. For Marsh Creek you'd want to park at the West Boat Launch. However, I would guess that both sets of trails will be a muddy wreck on Saturday unless they are frozen.

mtbr member
    Damn, we haven't gotten soaked yet here in Philadelphia, I didn't even think about it. I don't ride soft trails. I'll keep an eye on the weather report.

Do these trail systems have a status page like White Clay or Wiss?

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Yea that'd be good question:

What clubs or groups are in charge of French Creek, March Creek, etc?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    PA Trailhands does regular maintenance at each during the summer. The website is not really active:Pa Trail Hands. FYI: If you are interested in trail work, the local shops get the schedules in the spring (they might be posted too, I'm not sure).

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Worth adding as destinations:

Central PA -- Allegrippis Trails at Raystown Lake. Delicious dirt roller coaster. Camping right there.

Pittsburgh -- Frick Park. 20 miles of surprisingly technical riding in the city

mtbr member
    Does anyone have any info on downhill/free ride/all mountain? I go to college in Lock Haven so I'm just about dead center of the state. My bike is a DH bike so climbing is totally out of the question. I already know about 7 springs and blue mtn, I;m looking for natural trails or built trails. Any help is appreciated!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Is there anything that can be found for South Park
    Come on stand up to go over that log

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2