Suburban Redneck

SE PA tire suggestions

As stated, I'm curious to see what those of you who ride in Southeastern PA prefer for rolling stock. Particularly Wissahickon. I'm currently using WTB EnduroRaptors (2.1"). They seem to be a bit slow rolling, but I haven't had any problems with pinch flats. Or any flats for that matter. But man are they FAT!
    Thanks in advance.
    Peace.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by boxman12
    As stated, I'm curious to see what those of you who ride in Southeastern PA prefer for rolling stock. Particularly Wissahickon. I'm currently using WTB EnduroRaptors (2.1"). They seem to be a bit slow rolling, but I haven't had any problems with pinch flats. Or any flats for that matter. But man are they FAT!
    Thanks in advance.
    Peace.
    If you think a 2.1" enduroraptor is slow rolling and fat, then you probably won't care much for any tire advice I have to offer. However, I have spent the last 13 or 14 years mountain biking in SE PA (Wissahickon, F.C., V.F., Blue Marsh, Ralph Stover, etc), so I figured I'd toss in my $0.02 anyway.

First off, I need to preface this by saying I'm 5'6", ~ 145 lb, and I ride a steel hardtail with a fair amount of finesse. I don't race anymore, though I did consistently well in the old Bellmont Plateau thursday night 'series' several years ago (stopped racing after a badly shattered ankle and reconstructive surgery slowed me down a bit). The point of telling you all of this is that what works for me may not be the best choice for you.

With that said, I'm running a Tioga Factory DH 2.3 rear tire (on a Rhino lite), and a Mutano raptor 2.4 front on a WTB laser disc. I don't use DH tubes, just 'regular' 26x2.3 - 2.5 tubes from performance. I run what most people consider to be ridiculously low pressure in both tires (generally ~ 20 psi, +/- depending on the length of ride and trail conditions). I can't tell you the last time I got a pinch flat. I suppose the downside is that the Tioga is a bit heavy, but I can't say that I really notice the weight. Traction and 'suspension' provided by the low pressure/large volume help to offset any weight penalty and, like I said before, I'm not racing anybody with these.

Sometimes, I'll swap these out for a set of Intense DH 2.35s if I know I'll be riding in an area that's notoriously rocky (something like American Standard in J.T.). I used to use these as my everyday tires (and they're outstanding as such) but, at approx. 3 lbs each, they're overkill for most XC rides.

Other "lightweight" tires I've had great experience with in the past include the Geax Blade 2.25 (used mostly as a front tire, but it also worked well on the rear). It's particularly light for its size, grippy as hell in wet or dry conditions, rolls well.

IRC Backcountry 2.25 worked really well on the back of my FS bike, but I found that I had to run a bit higher pressure to keep from smacking the rim on my HT. If these had just a little bit thicker sidewall, they'd be perfect.

I could go on listing everything I've ever tried, but there's little point in that. Basically, you need to decide what you want in a tire. Speed and lightweight? I can't help ya (though I've heard Schwalbe racing ralphs are great). For all-mountain, confidence, flat protection, etc... look for a tire in the 2.25 to 2.4" range weighing ~ 700 - 900 g.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Suburban Redneck
    Hmmm, maybe it's just me that's slow-rolling and fat.........................

mtbr member
    I'm happy with my IRC Mythos.

Suburban Redneck
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgorth
    I'm happy with my IRC Mythos.
    I've been strongly considering those for awhile now...........................

must have long ride...

2 cents

I like the Panaracer FireXC Pro's, although they pak up in a lot of mud really quickly.
    Current bikes:
    -04 Epic Comp: SWEEEEET, brand new!!! ($2K in 05)
    -03 Giant Iguana Disc
    -19?? Schwinn Highplains

mtbr member
    I used to rind the Panaracer XC Magics (they were whitish) and they packed up big time too. That's why I switched to the mythos. Great tire.

must have long ride...
    Are the IRC's that much better? I'll have to check those out when the Fire's die.
    Current bikes:
    -04 Epic Comp: SWEEEEET, brand new!!! ($2K in 05)
    -03 Giant Iguana Disc
    -19?? Schwinn Highplains

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Another vote for IRC Mythos here. A great all around tire and cheap too. Get them at your LBS, you won't pay much different than online and you'll save on shipping.