Thread: SE PA demos?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

SE PA demos?

I've been casually looking for a new bike over the past month or so in the philly area. I'm not having much luck finding local bike shops that have demos or let you test ride off-road. In my experience, it's tough to judge a bike by riding around a parking lot. Any suggestions on a LBS that I should check out?

I'm happy to drive as far as harrisburg or allentown if I can get a chance to try a bike out on a trail that's my size.

Thanks!
    Drew

Sep 2008
    Saucon Valley Bikes in Hellertown (southeast of Allentown) might be able to help you out. Believe they have M and L (possibly S, XL too) Giant Anthem X3 29ers for trail demos. They also should have a M EWR Original Woods Bike (OWB) 29'er to take out. Give them a call to get all the details.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    JB Mountain Bikes in Shillington(Reading) has a great selection of demos, for people that are serious about purchasing a nice bike. www.jbmountainbikes.com. I know he has C-Dale, Giant, Ellsworth, Santa Cruz, Jamis, Intense...
    I think Shirk's near Morgantown has some as well, not sure though...
    Green Mountain in Ephrata usually has some, but I know they charge $$$ to demo, but I think if you buy the bike your $$$ goes towards the purchase.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the advice, I'm going to give these shops a call.

mtbr member
    Yes,I think Shirks is the same way,the $ goes towards your purchase,they usually have a good demo line from trek and niner that I know of for sure

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eatboulders View Post
    Saucon Valley Bikes in Hellertown (southeast of Allentown) might be able to help you out. Believe they have M and L (possibly S, XL too) Giant Anthem X3 29ers for trail demos. They also should have a M EWR Original Woods Bike (OWB) 29'er to take out. Give them a call to get all the details.

This.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Bikesport in Trappe, near Collegeville, does Trek/Gary Fisher demos. You can take the bike out all day.

Also look for 'demo tours' or 'demo events', usually scheduled around larger weekend MTB events and gatherings. Here's one example: http://www.specialized.com/zz/en/bc/...enuItemId=8115, and another: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/trek_life/events/ (Set category to one of the Demo Tours). A given manufacturer's demos come through a region once per year. Dealer sponsored events happen a few times a year.

Sep 2008
    Speaking of demo tours, Saucon Valley Bikes (the shop I mentioned) just had the Pivot crew up at Jacobsburg State Park a month ago. They had every model, and quite a few of them.

Keep an eye out for the demo tours that are stopping at shops , not just festivals. Two months ago I stopped by a Specialized demo up in Stowe, VT as well. The guys had taken time out of their demo sched to stop at a local shop on the way to a big event at Highlands. Got to ride with Kirt and Lindsey Voreis, pretty sweet. Ask shops if they've got a demo coming their way, never know what you'll get to ride (or with whom).

It's life and death
    Try bucks county bikes in Levittown, trek, fisher etc...ask for Scott.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm finding out that most of the recommended shops have some fully demos. I'm looking for a 29er HT for around $1K. It seems like in my price range, there aren't too many demos available. Can't wait until I'm out of grad school...