mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Scranton Area Riders

Hey guys...I ride with a few guys on Montage Mountain/Rocky Glenn area in Scranton/Moosic a few times a week, but we rarely see other riders on the trails. Mostly old railroad/fire road riding, nothing crazy technical but great riding none the less. If anyone is interested in some directions or a ride let me know, we would love to see more people up there. one of the longer loops hits around 14-16miles or so but you can pick and choose your routes making a ride anywhere from 3-15ish miles.
    Last edited by rastasquid; 04-12-2007 at 09:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Click on my signatures if you're interested in riding singletrack. ttyl, Fahn

^ The Trail Starts Here ^

Good job!

[SIZE="3"]rastasquid:

So what trails ya rid'in up there?

Green Run, Ore Mine Road, Goat Ladies Path, Covey Swamp?

I have ridden there many times in my life.What days times do you ride?

We ride at Frances Slocum and Hubbard Bicycle club trails. Here's some info. Come join us if you like.

http://www.nepmtba.piczo.com

http://www.hubbardbicycleclub.com

Lee Curry
    NEPMTBA

[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

trail names

I dont know the names of the trails, except ore mine road. I know there are more trails up there than we know about. Our standard loop runs through rocky glenn, around the lake, past the number 5 up to lake scranton. I know there must be trails that run off of the road up to lake scranton, I just don't know where they are or where to go to.

mtbr member
    An old typical Sunday ride was to go park by the lower tracks and ride over the bridge and cut up to Ore Mine Road and take it up to Lake Scranton. About 100 yards before the lake, we'd make the left and climb up some wide switchbacks. Eventually we'd come out to "Ford Hill". The steep climb with the old Ford on the right with all the bullet holes in it. Eventually decend (after 13 miles of climbing) down to the ampetheater and out to the lodge. From there we'd go over to the parking lot and ride down right next to White Lightening on a steep quad trail. About 18 miles overall if I recall corectly. I haven't done that in about 4 years now. ttyl, Fahn

Good job!

[SIZE="3"]To all:

From Number 5 dam you can hang a left at the washed out uphill now only walkable due to rain damage. From there you descend to the Goat Ladies Path on to the Old Erie PCC railroad. Follow that back to Montage road and by doing that you can ad another loop.

If you plan on going on the back side of Montage it will take you to the Green Run trail. From there you can access Spring Brook and beyond. Green Run will also take you to the Ore Mine Road.

Around Lake Scranton is a trail to the Beacon, from there Blue Shudders Road and the Lackawanna cutoff trails in Elmhurst.

We have a 28 mile loop there not including all of the trials I mentioned. Plenty to get really tired on.

Lee Curry
    NEPMTBA

[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

monday

we'll be riding monday afternoon at 3...just a quick ride...about 2 hours tops. wed. around 3 we usually go out, and sundays around 2. We'll be out today if anyone in the area knows the trails, come out. hope to see some more riders up in the montage area soon this summer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I learned to moutain bike in that area in the early 90s when I made the switch from BMX racing. I can't imagine it sees less traffic now. Back then it was such a rare event to run into another mountain biker you would stop, have a long conversation and proably setup a a ride together.

Quote Originally Posted by will.s
    I learned to moutain bike in that area in the early 90s when I made the switch from BMX racing. I can't imagine it sees less traffic now. Back then it was such a rare event to run into another mountain biker you would stop, have a long conversation and proably setup a a ride together.
    [SIZE="3"] Will s.

Did you race BMX at Cedar at Red Barn village? How about Linden BMX in Scranton?
    [/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Proformance Cycle
    [SIZE="3"] Will s.

Did you race BMX at Cedar at Red Barn village? How about Linden BMX in Scranton?
    [/SIZE]

I raced at Red Barn village. I don't remember Linden BMX.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

No Snakes!!

After talking to a bunch of local riders, the reason that nobody rides up montage anymore is because of this snake myth. Apparently at some point in history there were alot of snakes in the area but NOT NOW! I have been riding up there about 5 times a week for about 4 years now and have seen 3 snakes ever. I have been down to the tubs 5 times this season and have seen 2 snakes. Hope see some more riders up here this summer.

Upset

Quote Originally Posted by rastasquid
    After talking to a bunch of local riders, the reason that nobody rides up montage anymore is because of this snake myth. Apparently at some point in history there were alot of snakes in the area but NOT NOW! I have been riding up there about 5 times a week for about 4 years now and have seen 3 snakes ever. I have been down to the tubs 5 times this season and have seen 2 snakes. Hope see some more riders up here this summer.
    [SIZE="3"] Ha Ha:

Nobody rides up Montage because it is all now private developed land. Just some history and I will show my age. We used to ride there when there was nothing there and it was owned by the water company. We were told it was water shed and it would NEVER be developed!

COVEY SWAMP IS NOW JOE AMATO'S FRONT YARD!

Ah progress............................ [/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com