Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Save Moon Lake Rally...May 8th, 2010

This from Chuck Kovach as he just called me with this info and asked for me to post it up.

Om Saturday May 8th starting at 11am the "Save Moon Lake Rally" will be held at the park, which will include of course Mountain Biking, hiking and all other activities that are held at the park. during the course of a normal Summer.

Also on hand will be the newspapers & TV crews along with a few guest speakers.

Although things are quiet as far as drilling issues atm, this is just one more tool that the park supporters will have at their disposal if the need arises.

More on this as it develops.
    Facebook.com/Plains Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Just got some posters from Chuck K. that you will see start popping up at various locations throughout the county. Also, there is another meeting at LCCC Wensday, April 28th, once again starting at 7pm. We need to show some more Mountain Bike support as Chuck was the only representative for the Mountain Bikers at the previous meeting...at least that he knew of as no one introduced themselves to him during the course of the evening.

Myself personally I re-arrainged my schedule here to accomodate this Wenesday's meeting, and as stated in an earlier different post, although I am not actively involved with the park, at least I will show support for Chuck and the activities that go on up there. It seems Chuck pretty much has done what a lot of people said would never happen, and that is get the park basically back up to about 75% operation....and he's working on the other 25%.

Here is the flyer....I took the watermark copyright off of it so by all means copy/paste and spread it around.

mtbr member
    Probably one of the most important things to take place in regards to saving Moon Lake happened just this past Saturday (4/24).

Val Geist (Sp) from WOLF Channel 56's "The Great Outdoors" program got in touch with Chuck K. I think on Friday about doing a half hour special on the park and trails that are in use, plus covering the closure and now the half re-opened status of the park.

The timing on this was critical as this show I believe is going to air this weekend coming up, a week right before this rally. A little last minute scramble on Chuck's behalf to try to round up people plus the fact there were riders there already that we just "commandeered" for a bit. Some footage of trail rides, some advertising stuff, and personal interviews pretty much wrapped it all up in a nice package, again, to be shown this weekend (will confirm this)

Again, the timing is uncanny & critical. The more people that know about what is going on the better, meaning a much larger turnout for the "powers that be" to notice.

Just one or two pics here showing Chuck trying not to do retake after retake of his interview! (Val, you have the patience of a saint!)

Joan lending her opinion

...and of course we have to have Tyler K. showing off for the cameras!

On a personal note, I want to thank Chris Chiffer & Chuck for taking the time to give me the guided tour of at least the outside perimeter of the trails as it was only my second time at the park. There is that old saying if you can't beat them, join them, and that holds true here. Although I can't get there on a regular basis as my businesses won't allow it timewise, I do plan on riding there when I can get the chance. My sincere gratitude & congratulations to NEPMTBA...you guys did a damn fine job...continue it. You made this park what it is...don't give it up for nobody, esp political forces that only see $$ to be made at everyone else's expense.
    Last edited by Plains Bike; 04-26-2010 at 12:12 PM.

wounded knee
    Just a little correction, I to was looking on 16 outdoor life, and couldn't find her.

Val Geist is from The Great Outdoors
    Shown on FOX 56, Saturday at 7:30
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    oops!! Wow...Thanks DR6! I was watching a newsclip on 16's website right as I was posting this..so...it always pays to proofread before posting I guess!!!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider6
    Just a little correction, I to was looking on 16 outdoor life, and couldn't find her.

Val Geist is from The Great Outdoors
    Shown on FOX 56, Saturday at 7:30
    http://www.myfoxnepa.com/subindex/lo...great_outdoors

Wizard of the Trail
    Man, I must have missed it or we were on the other side. I have been wanting to ride this trail for awhile and we got out there saturday. We had a great time and we love those trails. I like the features integrated in the trail system. Up here, our trails are more natural. There isn't many ramps or anything integrated into the trail system. I especially liked how there were bridges over most of the muddy areas. It was a nice change. The only thing I wish we had was a map of it because it was somewhat confusing. We met a rider in the parking area. He was leading us up to the skills area, but he was also pointing out other sections to take as well. Basically we ended up taking one of the trails because we weren't sure if he was taking us to the area or telling us that the trail leaded to the area. We didn't want to impose on his ride. Not to mention, my hearing plain sucks. Anyway, we were supposed to follow, but we found it anyway. Thanks to who ever that was. I didn't get his name. He was riding a redline either 1 or 2X9 29er. We had a blast!!!!! I am going to try and get some people to show up for that rally. Its an hour away from me, but its worth it. I hope it doesn't get shut down. BTW, who built that teeter totter and does anyone have the plans to build it.
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I know that Chriffer and NEPMTBA and "Moto" have put a lot of time into the trails, along with a strong smattering of others ("Canada" Chuck, Buddy, JeffSkisMontana, Krazcustoms, many others I think) but I have NO idea who actually built the teeter or any of the other features.

Although, I hear NEPMTBA and his buddy Moto have an affection for artificially developed trail features allowing cyclists and dogs to exercise and develop their skills beyond what nature provided for a specific location.
    Last edited by bear; 04-28-2010 at 03:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    geist, that was me, sorry about that. I turned around and saw you guys hitting that trail and didn't want to interfere with your ride. I was going to run down quick to catch you, but didn't want you to think I was stalking you! Sorry about that confusion.

Wizard of the Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by glahnb
    geist, that was me, sorry about that. I turned around and saw you guys hitting that trail and didn't want to interfere with your ride. I was going to run down quick to catch you, but didn't want you to think I was stalking you! Sorry about that confusion.
    No problem bud! I couldn't hear you that well with the wind in my ears. We just had some miscommunication is all. We had a great time! I really liked the teeter totter. I was the guy that asked you about it. After we rode, I still wanted to find the totter, so we returned to the spot where you cut up into that field. Found the grass that was pushed down from your tires and found it with no problems. That is a neat little area. I wish we had stuff like that at all the trail systems. Thanks alot!

mtbr member
    For those that are interested...there is another meeting being held tonight (4/28) at LCCC...same place as last time starting at 7pm.

Chuck K. will be there again along with I believe Joan & myself. The more people that come out for this the better, so..if you have a few free moments to spare by all means please show up!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plains Bike
    For those that are interested...there is another meeting being held tonight (4/28) at LCCC...same place as last time starting at 7pm.
    cribbed from the previous week's post...

LCCC in the Educational Conference Center
    1333 South Prospect Street Nanticoke, Pa
    7-9PM

mtbr member
    URGENT!!! Chuck just got a call from Cliff Madrack as he's standing here! The meeting tonight has been changed to 6pm at Moon Lake..at the front gate, so please do NOT go to LCCC.

Again, at the main gate at 6pm. Unfortunatly this screws me up big time but everyone else please try to attend.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Nice.

Will help some, will hurt others, getting there.
    Last edited by bear; 04-28-2010 at 02:05 PM.

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by Geist262
    Man, I must have missed it or we were on the other side. I have been wanting to ride this trail for awhile and we got out there saturday. We had a great time and we love those trails.
    The only thing I wish we had was a map of it because it was somewhat confusing. .
    Here you go, a link to a trail map, complete with names and distances.

http://nepmtba.piczo.com/moonlakemap...linkvar=000044
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Wizard of the Trail
    Thanks bro. Will use this Saturday.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    hoping we can make it to the rally awesome place to ride would be a shame to let it go

Wizard of the Trail
    JonP36, welcome bro! Hope to see you there!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Really looking forward to this. Hopefully there is some type of bbq/cook out planned for up by Deacon. But I was at the park yesterday and I was talking to the security guard (Jay i think his name is?) and he was telling me that there is a group of people coming up and planning on chaining themselves to different buildings/gates in the park in the hopes of being arrested. Anyone know anything about this or a way we can stop it? It's real unfortunate if they show up and give the Moon Lake Support community a bad name. I don't think this is the kind of publicity that Moon needs right now. We have been getting our point across peacefully and without protest like this. I just hope it's not something that the public will see and start to stray away from Moon support because of a small group of loonies.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Greenpeace?

wounded knee
    I hope thats not true, and your right, thats NOT the kind of publicity the park needs, we just need a lot of people to show up, and have a good time enjoying the Park.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    What would be the point of chaining yourself to something there? It makes no sense whatsoever. It's not like there is a bulldozer that is about to come through the place. I would have to think the park's reaction to that stupidity would be to say have fun, and don't get eaten by the bears overnight please. They have no reason to care.

On the other hand people who chain themselves to things might not be the most logical or the ones with the best thought out plans.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    You know my answer to that!

BRRRAAPPPPPPP.........

ROOSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    First I have heard of anyone chaining themselves to trees...lol...and I have to agree with Chriffer, that would be the most irresponsible childish behaivor that anyone can do as that does not serve the purpose at all.

According to Chuck,and I'm playing messenger here... the issues are that the county is trying to stop the rally by imposing all types of regulations on it, something that I have seen in the past with different political entities that I had to work with when they are afraid to see a message get out or if it goes counter claim to what they are trying to do.

From what I gather, there has been a insurance stipulation put in place, IE: want the rally, post a 1 million dollar bond, hire security guards, hire trash clean-up, plus a few other red tape deals to try to prevent anyone from hosting this rally. This just cropped up so it's not like it was something on the books previous to this.

I guess if they are not allowed to enter the park as a "rally" they are planning a informational gathering IE: Protest outside the park property. Again, as I get more true information I'll pass it along. One thing is certain, The Sierra Club will be present at this and they for the most part have been the group that has stopped the drilling, so..it will get interesting.

Also note, and again I side with Chriffer here, sometimes "rattling the Cage" as it were can cause more damage than help. I agree with the TV show that Val Geist did last week, as that is more for a push to get the park re-opened to a full time status that will benefit every group as a whole. That is good. I don't agree with radicalism in the face of opposition, and I don't think any of us here do. Sometimes people forget who holds the keys to the gate. The ballot box can take care of this issue.

mtbr member
    Just for those who missed the show on FOX56, here is the link. It's about 7 or 8 minutes long and does a real good job of promoting the park for ALL activities.

Nothing mentioned about chaining oneself to the trees...in a matter of fact Waste Management was almost minus one truck/driver...Chuck K. was laughing so hard he had to pull over!

Lol..anywayz,..here is the link. Enjoy!

http://www.myfoxnepa.com/dpp/local_s.../20100503_tgo3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast