Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Saturday, 11/24/12...The Switchback Trail in Jim Thorpe

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  NEPMTBA 
#1 ·
Saturday , 11/24/12...The Switchback Trail in Jim Thorpe

Leaving from the "Park and Ride in Pittston, between 10:00/10:15AM...

...heading down to Jim Thorpe for a 12 to 16 mile tour of Pennsylvania's first Roller Coaster. Now a rail/trail with a twist, climbing the Wagon Road and the beautiful views from a top Mt Pisgah. Intermediate level ride of 3 to 3.5 hours. Social pace!

For anyone wanting to meet us at JT we will be in the parking lot at the Mauch Chunk Lake park around 11AM. We will begin and end the ride from there!

Post up if your coming
See ya there

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I was thinking about heading up to moon lake tomorrow, but this is tempting as well. What do you think the chances are i talk you into a burst up lung buster??? Or a trek across the top of mauch chunk ridge? I'm still working out the details on the home front though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
More likely to be snowing!

No problem Lee, I'm torn between moon lake solo, and switchback, probably will be a game time decision. I haven't been on the bike much lately, so I'm up for anything tomorrow. Slow, fast, rocky, smooth, uphill, downhill, no matter.

#6 ·
Well, I opted for a tour of moon guided by Bear and Jim since I ride JT quite a bit. Was a great afternoon, bit of snow/sleet. Hats off, trails are in good shape. And I even got to try out a rigid SS for the first time. Hope you had a great day in JT, maybe I'll catch you next time.

#7 ·
Some pics from today

By the freezing Lake!

Justin on an old stone water way.

An old Castle?

Almost to the top of Wagon hill, man that hill sucked.

View from up top, man was the wind blowing up here!

Yes we just crossed that ledge, couple of scary footsteps.

Lee between the rock cut

Justin between the rock cut

Abandoned Train tunnel.

Me in the Train Tunnel, yes it's snowing out.

On the way home it was snowing and sleeting pretty good.

#8 ·
Bet it was fun! Hope your warm now!

Hey Lee thought you said it would be an easy ride! By the looks of that hill I don't think it was exactly easy! ( rode there before) now you know why i stayed here and worked on trails in the snow!

#9 ·
Hey Lee thought you said it would be an easy ride! By the looks of that hill I don't think it was exactly easy! ( rode there before) now you know why i stayed here and worked on trails in the snow!
Oh I don't know must have been easy or else hub number 7 would have given up it's parts!...LOL

Nice ride today with Justin and DR6. Lots of sights and great views, and I still can't imagine the switchback being another 50 feet up off the top of Mt Pisgah on a trestle. I have read stories of people who lived back then and they said it was an amazing thing to see. There were others out on the trails today riding through history. It's all around, one reason I like going there!

Nice pics DR6, I'll post my pics later... :thumbsup:

#10 · (Edited)
Some views... :thumbsup:

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
continued...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.